Typing speed test

vbimport

I fumble around a lot with my typing, but seem to have improved a little bit since I got a different mechanical keyboard. I can’t type well at all on the two or three rubber dome keyboards I own.

Here’s an online test if you want to see your speed:

http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english#

My results:

sounds like a fast 2 finger typist :slight_smile:
are you looking for an data entry operator job? (snicker)

ps: mechanical keyboards are crap - the only reason they have been invented was for industrial strength keyboards … not fast typing.

I think I’m not too slow, but a typo every here and there (used German language)

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2767253]sounds like a fast 2 finger typist :slight_smile:
are you looking for an data entry operator job? (snicker)

ps: mechanical keyboards are crap - the only reason they have been invented was for industrial strength keyboards … not fast typing.[/QUOTE]

Not my experience at all. And besides, there are a dozen different types of mechanical keyboards, with different pressure for activation and feel. The Cherry Brown and Red switches seem to work well for me, though I have enjoyed the older Alps keyboards too.

Liggy is pretty fast at this! Probably gets a lot more practice than me. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2767271]Not my experience at all. And besides, there are a dozen different types of mechanical keyboards, with different pressure for activation and feel. The Cherry Brown and Red switches seem to work well for me, though I have enjoyed the older Alps keyboards too.

Liggy is pretty fast at this! Probably gets a lot more practice than me. :)[/QUOTE]

Liggy is pretty fast :iagree: - I am at your level, scoring 52 in the test. Then again, I do not need to be fast, only accurate.

Like you, I enjoy a mechanical keyboard and have tested red, brown and blue versions of the Cherry switches. What I found was the following:

[B]Red[/B] - Equal force all the way down for the press actually gets my typing slow down a little.
[B]Brown[/B] - Here I gain up to ten words extra pr minute because of feedback to my fingers that the key was pressed. the physical feedback also reveals if I managed to click two adjacent keys at the same time and so it is my favorite.
[B]Blue[/B] - While at least equally quick as the brown (I have ‘heavy fingers’), the clicking noise is too much for it to be used in a day to day situation. For gaming though, this would be my choice.

I tend to bottom out each keystroke, so I’m not what you would call a light-touch typist. But I never had problems with the one Red switch keyboard I used. Never tried a Blue, even though they seem to be the most common.

My keyboard now is a full sized Ducky with Brown Cherry switches and though I’ve had to adjust my technique so that I don’t mishit the space bar, I’ve been very pleased with it.

Previous keyboard had cream colored Alps, and it was fine for typing, just had slightly wiggly keycaps. My backup computer has a rubber dome keyboard from Microsoft that I hate. You have to fight it sometimes to get the keys to push down, and it will interrupt your rhythm like mad. Need to replace it, but I’m cheap and haven’t found a good enough bargain. Plus I prefer white keycaps, and they are harder to find.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2767276]Liggy is pretty fast :iagree: - I am at your level, scoring 52 in the test. Then again, I do not need to be fast, only accurate.

Like you, I enjoy a mechanical keyboard and have tested red, brown and blue versions of the Cherry switches. What I found was the following:
…[/QUOTE]

Back in the 70ies they used the Reed switch for mech. keyboards - apparently a much nicer/finer design than that doodle nowadays

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2767295]Back in the 70ies they used the Reed switch for mech. keyboards - apparently a much nicer/finer design than that doodle nowadays

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch[/QUOTE]

Hehehe, I think I still have a few (5 or 6 complete) reed switches in my possession from way back when. I also have something else to show you (the picture is not mine) - How a bout a cardboard box with 5 other boxes in it, all containing a brand new [B]IBM Model M[/B] keyboard, now that ought to trigger your interest :smiley:

No other keyboard I know of is faster to type on. I found it at a customer a year ago… I said they could have my two hours work for free if I could have the keyboards - deal closed and I was happy :iagree:
And for the record, I’ll happily put up with clickety-clack when typing on such a legendary keyboard. :cool:

Xercus as always has a way to hijack threads - bad boy :slight_smile:

Yes, those IBM keyboards were a quality goddess back then - hardly ever failed. The only natural enemy was the jam-finger typist complaining that the (sticky) key is stuck!

Those keyboards still around with usb cable, o well!?

:bigsmile:

Did Alan miss the part about the typing? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2767298]Xercus as always has a way to hijack threads - bad boy :)[/QUOTE]
Shame on me :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2767298]Those keyboards still around with usb cable, o well!?[/QUOTE]
Oh, a small correction there… Mine are the original PS2 but I have an adapter from PS2 to USB

Did Alan miss the part about the typing? :p[/QUOTE]:bigsmile:, or he’s bragging about typing megabits pr second

[QUOTE=Xercus;2767311]Shame on me :bigsmile:

Oh, a small correction there… Mine are the original PS2 but I have an adapter from PS2 to USB
:bigsmile:, or he’s bragging about typing megabits pr second [/QUOTE]

Yes Alan is old and missed the part about the typing. LOL Sorry guys.:o

Did Alan miss the part about the typing? :p[/QUOTE]

Sorry Kerry, sometime an old man does old man things, like not reading the whole thread. Embarassing.:sad:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2767325]Yes Alan is old and missed the part about the typing. LOL Sorry guys.:o[/QUOTE]

I’d say the day we stop making small mistakes, this world is deprived of a lot of fun. In this case, it was a class act of unintended crazy comic (absurd comment out of the blue) and gave me a good laugh.
I participated in the thread that you originally intended the comment for as well, but I found it a lot more fun placed here than in the correct thread :flower: