Type of Sata PCI Card

I have purchased an Barracuda internal hard drive (500GB w/16MB cache) for a PC. I am adding an additional drive to my system (No RAID). I need to add a PCI Card to my Windows XP system. My motherboard is a Intel D865Perl. What do I add.: options
Sata I, Sata II, 1.5 Gb transfer rate, 3.0 Gb transfer rate, Raid Controller, Non Raid. Please advise what options and what cards are available to consider.

Thanks

Hi and Welcome!

since you don’t want Raid, I’d suggest a controller card that comes as non-Raid out-of-the-box, or a card that can be configured as non-Raid (many cards with Silicon Image chipset can be converted with another firmware).
You new card needs to support Sata-II drives properly, that means: stay clear from controller cards with Via chipset.
Since the PCI bus is the bottleneck, advertised “with full 3.0 Gbps transfer rate” is just marketing.

I would suggest to have a look at Promise Sata-300 series controllers. I personally have a slightly crippled onboard version (Sata-II-150) of these controllers, and I can’t really complain.

Michael

Thanks. That helped a lot. Have a good week.

Appears to have problems with Pent 4 motherboards, such as D865Perl.
Just need a serial ata contrtoller card that works with PCI revision 2.2 specifications.

Grab a Promise SATA controller card for SATA HDDs.

Hi,

perhaps you can get a Promise Sata-II 150 series controller then. These aren’t available any more, but maybe ebay or something like that is an option.

Otherwise, you may have a look at Sata controller cards with Silicon Image chipsets then.
I own a card with SiI 3512 (which is Sata-I), but I haven’t tried a Sata-II HDD with that card.

Michael

QUOTE=mciahel;2292560
I would suggest to have a look at Promise Sata-300 series controllers.
(…)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=runner412;2292852]Appears to have problems with Pent 4 motherboards, such as D865Perl.
Just need a serial ata contrtoller card that works with PCI revision 2.2 specifications.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=chef;2292980]Grab a Promise SATA controller card for SATA HDDs.[/QUOTE]Visiting Fielmann next time? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2292993]Visiting Fielmann next time? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

nope, i just confirmed?

Is there a problem?? :smiley: