TY What are they? Various questions

vbimport

Hello :slight_smile:

Sorry i have a lot of questions and i am sooo new here… i had no better idea for a title :slight_smile: So here i go.

Recently i built a new rig and also got a new OS - Vista Ultimate. Previously i used XP SP2. I used my old burner in the new rig, but my old Nero 5.5 would not work under Vista, so i got Nero 7.5.9.1. When i tried to burn my first DVD’s on this new rig, i got an error “Illegal Disc”. I tried many times, uninstalled and reinstalled Nero etc, no joy - wasted 20 blanks trying. The media i used was “Princo 1-4x DVD-R”, the same ones i used for a year before and never had a problem with.

So i got a new burner too, a LiteOn again but a newer model (can’t recall now which one exactly as i am at my office now). However the errors remained largely the same - so i guessed the new Nero sucks, because even after upgrading it to the latest 7.7.1.9 or whatever it burned only like 50% of the disks ok, still wasting many with various errors, but ALWAYS during burning the “lead-in”.

I switched to ImgBurn and found that it would not waste the disks, instead it does “retries” and gets the data on the DVD’s alright. Still i guess there should be no need for the retries either, right?

Next i bought “Sony” DVD-R’s as those are recommended by LiteOn for my model of burner. Nero wasted me two of those as well! And ImgBurn still brough the “Power Calibration Area Error” but got the job done.

Since everyone recommended me Taiyo-Yuden media, i tried to find them - no avail, they don’t seem to exist here in Bangkok! I ended up with Verbatim ones, which were also recommended. I didn’t even bother throwing those at Nero, but so far ImgBurn didn’t have a single error and i burned like 16 of them already, so far so good.

However now i read here that Taiyo-Yuden makes disks also for other brands, like TDK? Those are available here. However Thailand is not only the “Land Of Smiles” but also the “Land Of Fakes” and the “Land Of No Refunds Under Any Circumstances”, and money doesn’t grow on trees. How can i see, with an unopened and sealed package, that the media inside is really what it is supposed to be, i.e. if the brand is “TDK”, that they are really the ones “made by Taiyo-Yuden”?

Or should i just stick with the Verbatim’s? I basically need to archive things like videos, i burn exclusively data DVD’s to be read only on the computer but i need those to last, i already found that some of my (10-12 month old) Princo’s have turned unreadable (i wonder how that happens anyway?)

Another question: Verbatim DVD-R are rather difficult to get here too, but DVD+R are widely available. Can i use those instead, will the result be the same? Sorry this may be a real newbie question, but what the heck is the difference between +R and -R…? They have the same capacity, they look the same…

Also, why is it that ImgBurn detects the Princo’s as “Princo”, Sony as “Sony” but Verbatim as “MCC20…” something…? Is that supposed to be so, or did i get fakes here? However they seem to burn nicely, they are 1-8x and i burn them always at 4x (the Princo’s i burned at 2x).

Last question: Is there a way to get DVD-burning to work in a virtual machine? I run MS Virtual PC under Vista and have a XP-SP2 installation running in there, however it doesn’t “see” my DVD burner, only the other (reader) drive. My idea was initiallyto get Nero 5.5 to work there and burn onto the Princo disks as before, because they cost less than half what the Verbatim’s cost. Since i go thru quite a few of them, “cost” is a big issue for me (in Thailand the average monthly salary is 250-300 us$, it took me two months salary to get the @#%! Windows Vista original, but i didn’t want a pirated one of those on my brand new shiny computer).

I highly apreciate any answers i can get here… please, if you want to ask me for all those “log” kind of things or “scans”, explain me first how to get them - i just burn DVD’s but not as a science :slight_smile:

With kind regards…

your Thanh

Hi, Thanh…Welcome to CDf :). I know what you mean about “the land of fakes” having been to Bangkok. I bought some lovely brand-name t-shirts and watches! :wink:
As to TY disks. TY is the company name of a Japanese disk manufacturer that mostly makes blanks for other companies. Look at this thread, which pretty much explains it all.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=178622
BTW, how’s the weather up there?
(I’m in Australia and it’s still very hot! :frowning: )

As regards Vista and your hardware…I’m not surprised. I think things are still settling down with Vista. You might have to wait a few months before better solutions to your technical problems emerge but, who knows, there are lots of really super-expert technical people in CDf that may have better answers than I do. You may just have to wait until people on the other side of the planet wake up. :wink:

I know this does not answer you question but i thought i would let you know i am running vista and the latest nero and i am not having any trouble at all even on cheap media, Every thing is running fine

Another question: Verbatim DVD-R are rather difficult to get here too, but DVD+R are widely available. Can i use those instead, will the result be the same? Sorry this may be a real newbie question, but what the heck is the difference between +R and -R…? They have the same capacity, they look the same…

You can use dvd+r for what you want and i would do it regardless. Since you have a LiteOn burner it should support booksetting or bitsetting when you record your movies. That should increase compatibility when it comes to playback. Here is another link with info on different dvd manufacturers and quality: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Those Princo Media are the worst ones you can buy, period.
And I would always use DVD+R over -R any time possible, so stick to that.

“Princo is inferior media.” © Herrie :smiley:

Hello :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your replies :slight_smile: Altough some of my questions are still open, i found some valiable information in your replies and the provided links. I even was able to find a program called “DVD IDentifier” which will cverttainly help me to detect any fakes.

Now it told me that my “Verbatim” are “Mitsubishi Chemical Corp” MCC02RG20, and according to the other site with the lists of manufacturers, those are 1st class media, so i believe i will just stick to them as i find it too hard to get hold of TY ones.

I have by now gotten completely confused as to “cake boxes” etc, i have never seen ANY such shaped boxes here at all, not even TDK media - sure there are those plastic boxes of the spindle type, but they don’t have that characteristic shape as those on the pictures of TDK or TY “That’s” media… yet, i think, i saw a brand “That’s” in Panthip on saturday, yet i didn’t give them any attention since i was looking for, well, “Taiyo Yuden” :slight_smile: But i’ll get there again anyway next saturday.

Now here’s some more information on my system, as i am at home now and have all that available:

My mainboard is a ASUS K8N4-E SE and it’s got a NVIDIA nForce 4-4x chipset. My CPU is the AMD Sempron 2800+, i have 3x 512 MB Kingston RAM (together 1.5 GB). My burner is the LiteOn LH20A1P with the latest firmware KL0A (i updated that already). DMA is enabled for all IDE channels, both my optical drives are running in DMA 4 mode. The burner is SLAVE on it’s channel - when i make it master and the other drive slave, i can’t copy CD’s “on fly”, it has always been like that and under XP there were no problems.

Now as to drivers, i read that Nvidia’s IDE drivers could cause problems with burners, specially under Vista. I was thinking of such possibility too, particularly after i found out that, using Nvidia’s “Vista” driver for the onboard LAN, my internet would crawl but with Vista’s own driver it would FLY, so i tried with both variants for the IDE driver too - no difference at all, and currently i am using Vista’s drivers for everything possible, which means everything except sound and graphic (and ATI’s Vista compatible “catalyst” also isn’t quite good yet… but at least it outputs to a connected TV, which Vista’s driver doesn’t).

@ stroppy:

The weather here in Bangkok is currently HOT :slight_smile: It’s almost 9 am here now and i guess it’s close to 30 degrees C aready. I am up early to bring my boyfriend to work, i myself work late (1 pm to 10 pm). Thanks for the link you supplied, it definitely was of help!

@ wrighty_uk_gorl:

Now i’m jealous… why does it work for you but not for me…??? It must (for me!) be a bad combination of burner-media-Vista-Nero… as both the burner and the media performed well under XP and Nero 5.5, and the same media still perform acceptable under Vista with that burner and ImgBurn…

@ sikoone:

Thanks for that :slight_smile: I have mo idea about “booksetting” or “bitsetting” but if that involves messing around in the guts of the burner or it’s firmware (basically something which could render it not-working) i will rather stay away from it… i wasted so much $$ on this computer and tyhe software that i am over budget for two years to come, in terms of “computer” that is… i wasn’t planning for any computer upgrade untill at least middle of this year but my old computer had a different idea when it suddenly decided “i have done enough for that guy” four weeks ago, and went into Nirvana without saying “good bye” to me… well i ended up with a brand new rig instead of an upgrade, and with the brand new rig came brand new problems… which are the reason for me posting here :slight_smile:

@ boobytrap:
Thanks for that :slight_smile: Let me see coming saturday if the “That’s” media which i saw at Panthip are in fact Taiyo Yuden, if so i’ll get those, if not i’ll stick to the Verbatim ones but will get +R as they are more widely available.

@ boobytrap + chef:

Hmm i am surprised that everyone says that Princo are soooo bad… honestly, i burned like 500 CD’s of Princo and around 200 DVD’s and i really didn’t have any problems with them - under XP that is, not a single coaster ever… if you go looking around Bangkok, “Princo” is what you get at every street corner while for anything else you really have to go hunting for them… and for CD’s, i have four-year-old Princo burned CD’s which still run fine and most of my DVD’s do too (but alltogether four out of a collection of roughly 170 that i still have here are not readable any more)…

With kind regards…

your Thanh

Thanks for that I have mo idea about “booksetting” or “bitsetting” but if that involves messing around in the guts of the burner or it’s firmware (basically something which could render it not-working) i will rather stay away from it… i wasted so much $$ on this computer and tyhe software that i am over budget for two years to come, in terms of “computer” that is… i wasn’t planning for any computer upgrade untill at least middle of this year but my old computer had a different idea when it suddenly decided “i have done enough for that guy” four weeks ago, and went into Nirvana without saying “good bye” to me… well i ended up with a brand new rig instead of an upgrade, and with the brand new rig came brand new problems… which are the reason for me posting here

Booksetting basically involves burning a dvd+r as a dvd-rom. That makes it even more compatible because that’s basically what a dvd movie is read as. It doesn’t involve a firmware or anything like that just a setting in your burning software. You may want to consider using Imgburn to burn your movies because it does have a booksetting feature. It’s a free program so it should be within your budget :slight_smile: . Off topic here is a couple of links for some free software if you ever find the need: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm also check out this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128075

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I do really aprecviate freeware, believe me. I am already using ImgBurn now since Nero just created me too many coasters, it is now degraded to “copy CD’s only”, because THAT job it stioll does excellent. ImgBurn burns nice DVD’s on my machine, even the Princo’s which Nero onjly converted into landfill… still for now i got those Verbatim -R’s and i have read up on Taiyo Yuden, seems like “Plextor” is Taiyo Yuden too and those are available here, so i might get some of those.

About the booksettings, i am NOT burning videos into “Movie DVD’s” as i don’t have and won’t get a standalone player - why need an additional device when the computer does that job far better? That TV-out feature of most modern graphic cards is there for a reason :slight_smile: And when i burn just data DVD’s i can get 6-10 full movies, depending on format of course, on a single disc and not ony does that safe a lot of $$ but some other valuable property too - space :slight_smile: Data DVD’s i can put two of them (12-20 movies!) in a two-disc cover and safely store them in a regular DVD rack, now if i’d burn movie DVD’s, i already needed to rent a much larger room to fill it with DVD racks :slight_smile: (count as of last monday - i have on data DVD’s alone exactly 173 movies on 15x2 disc sets, plus a ton of VCD’s and original DVD’s). That count does NOT include my huge xxx collection, which makes the major part of my DVD’s - i’ve got around 100 additional data DVD’s full with that kind of stuff :slight_smile: And no, i am neither addicted to that stuff nor doing that commercially - i’m just a collector, that’s all.

Kind regards…

Thanh