TY Watershield Scans?

Hi

Its been a while since ive posted on here and had a search around but today I decided to do a few tests/scans of some TY Watershield DVD-R (TYG03 16x) as I was coming to the end of my tub of 50. I dunno why I didn’t do some scans when I first got them, I just assumed they would do the job.

Having burnt on both my BenQ 1620 and Pioneer 111D drive at 8x, 12x and 16x; all scanned in my BenQ, the results show that the edge of the disc seems abit problematic. Perhaps nothing serious but could it be a cause for concern in the future or is this just a poor batch or my burner’s?!?

There doesn’t seem to be many scans of watershield burns on the forums, though the one’s I have seen don’t have such a big rise in errors at the edge of the disc. The majority of non-watershield TYG03 burns are pretty consistent and good quality with no increase in errors at the edge of the disc.

Im considering re-ordering some watershield as I really like the printable surface compared to the normal inkjet surface available on TY media.

Id really like to hear your views on the issue, whether its just a bad batch, the scanning drive, burning drives or just a problem with the watershield coating.

Perhaps a new burner, such as the samsung 203, good resolve the issue?!

Any comments are appreciated.

8x Burn BenQ 1620 B7W9
12x Burn BenQ 1620 B7W9
16x Burn BenQ 1620 B7W9

8x Pioneer DVR-111D 1.29
12x Pioneer DVR-111D 1.29

12x Pioneer DVR-111D 1.29 (Rescan, same disc)

16x Pioneer DVR-111D 1.29

I wouldn’t expect either of those burners to have adequate firmware support for G03. Your scans do seem to support that notion. I get best results on G03 at 16x, in several newer burners. Some are a bit better at 12x.

The 111D shouldn’t have any problems with TYG03 as it was already an established MID when the drive was released. I’m thinking it’s the OP’s particular discs that are at fault here.

[quote=Two Degrees;1939941]The 111D shouldn’t have any problems with TYG03 as it was already an established MID when the drive was released. I’m thinking it’s the OP’s particular discs that are at fault here.[/quote] My Pioneer DVR-111 series drives are the best of my drives for burning TYG03 all things considered, with the possible exception of my new Pioneer DVR-112D, so changing the drive is very unlikely to result in better burns unless the drive itself is defective.

I do find however, that I get the very bests results when burning at 6x with my 111L, but this could be different for other 111 drives from what I’ve seen (they can be very different in how they burn in the first 0.4 GB and in whether they create jitter humps at high CAV/P-CAV burning speeds).

I agree that any unsatisfying results with TYG03 in a Pioneer 111 is most likely due to the media being less than perfect.

EDIT: TYG03 also burns well at 8x and 12x (but not so good at 16x) in a BenQ DW1620 drive with B7W9 firmware we have in the office, so both of these drives should be able to produce good results with a good batch of TYG03.

I have yet to have an issue with the Watershields even if the PIF looks a bit scary. The PIE on the other hand is deadly nice… jitter decent in my book. This is a 1:1 copy at 6x speed :slight_smile:

Oh yes, but what happens if you try to scan the same disc on a BenQ or Plextor?

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

thanks for all your comments, it seems like it could just be the batch I have received, I know this time to check the discs straight away rather than waiting until I have almost used them all.

I have re-ordered some watershields from svp, along with a Samsung 203N drive as well. I will do some test on all 3 drives with the new set of discs and see how they fair.

RE: The scans ive provided, none are really a cause for concern are they or should I consider reburning some of them; they are DVD-Movies.

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1940144]Oh yes, but what happens if you try to scan the same disc on a BenQ or Plextor?

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

Please tell me? Here’s a scan from a Samsung since it’s what i have handy :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=dj_phatic;1940146]thanks for all your comments, it seems like it could just be the batch I have received, I know this time to check the discs straight away rather than waiting until I have almost used them all.

I have re-ordered some watershields from svp, along with a Samsung 203N drive as well. I will do some test on all 3 drives with the new set of discs and see how they fair.

RE: The scans ive provided, none are really a cause for concern are they or should I consider reburning some of them; they are DVD-Movies.[/QUOTE]

Since i got the Watershield discs by mistake i don’t think i’m gonna buy them again - because of the price. I think they are reliable but i keep an extra copy of the discs anyway … (i’m a freak) :bigsmile:

Got some more watershields today, different batch code GH000169 but seems to be the same story at the edge of the disc.

Here is a 12x burn from Samsung S203N, firstly scanned at 8x in the samsung drive and then at 4x and 8x in my BenQ 1620.

Looks like image attachment is broken. :frowning: Can’t upload scans. Anyways, Watershield purchased at Rima.com in 50-ct spindles, GH000156, burns flawlessly here in Samsung 202H, LG 44L and LiteOn 20A1P at 16x

yeah I had a problem uploading earlier so had to use imagehost instead.

Its pretty annoying that the only flaw is on the edge of the disc, I admit most of the times the disc won’t be completely full unless its a DVD-Video.

You must be lucky and got an excellent batch.

[QUOTE=dj_phatic;1940913]

You must be lucky and got an excellent batch.[/QUOTE]

Luck has nothing to do with it. I’ve never gotten anything BUT great media from TY and Rima. Watershield included. I’ve burned it in a total of 6 different burners with no issues.

perhaps it could be SVP’s stock/suppliers. Although this is only my 2nd tub of 50, ive tried them on 3 different burners at various speeds and get the same issue at the end of the disc regardless of which burner or speed :frowning:

[QUOTE=dj_phatic;1940930]perhaps it could be SVP’s stock/suppliers. Although this is only my 2nd tub of 50, ive tried them on 3 different burners at various speeds and get the same issue at the end of the disc regardless of which burner or speed :([/QUOTE]

Well, if nothing else, your scans seem to show that the media is very consistent. If TRTs look good, I’d ignore the scans. I can’t think of a single reason for burns of different speeds to show the same issues like that. They really should look different, so maybe put it off to your scanning drive(s)?

Buy TYG02 Watershield instead of TYG03.

[QUOTE=CDan;1939774]I wouldn’t expect either of those burners to have adequate firmware support for G03. Your scans do seem to support that notion. I get best results on G03 at 16x, in several newer burners. Some are a bit better at 12x.[/QUOTE]

Definitely the media, not writer. The scans show it’s a media problem, unless you’re somehow blind? Similar errors on the discs @ all speeds in three writers. Dunno how on earth that could have anything to do with FW support lol.

The 203 seems to give the same results. It’s scans are far more forgiving it seems though.

Dunno what to tell you. Try burning @ 4x or 6x? If that doesn’t help, it’s simply the defects on the disc are too strong to overcome.

[QUOTE=geekrule;1941438]Buy TYG02 Watershield instead of TYG03.[/QUOTE]

I didnt think TYG02 watershields existed?