TY w/silver hub?

Before I get moved to the newbie forum, I’ve done quite a bit of homework on this site and cd-rlabs.com in the past months trying to decide what media to use. I just ordered my second 100-cake of TY CD-R from supermediastore.com (who I’ve read is reputable) and they have a silver center. I haven’t heard anything about this, and I was under the impression that all TY CD-R had a “frosted” hub. Everything else looks the same, and the codes on the hubs start with PG, which I seem to recall is a good sign that it is TY.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :bow:

I’d like to have a pic, if it’s possible.
My CD-R codes in the hub start with 4L.
In the outer hub, they are 80 PG1247 (hard to read with pastels).
I think you have real TYs, but I’m not sure. Never heard of silver hub before, sorry…

EDIT: Did you get printables?

My bad…I was in a hurry and threw the CD-Rs in on the order at the last minute and they are printable hubs…which wouldn’t be a problem, but my burner doesn’t seem to like them at all.

Post a scan then.
Actually printables shouldn’t be really different! I think it’s a bad batch.

OK, if my n00bn3ss wasn’t showing before, here’s where it really will. I’m assuming you’re talking about scanning for errors, but I’ve never done that and don’t know what software to use. Any good freeware you can suggest?

Nero CD-DVD Speed for most drive brands.
KProbe for LiteOns.
PlexTools for Plextors.
Do a quality scan instead of a transfer rate scan. You’ll see whether your drives like it.

OK, I probably won’t be able to get on that until Wednesday morning, but I’ll post it when I do. Anything in particular I should be looking for?

Hold up a sec…what burner do you have?

Actually, I’m currently using my roommate’s computer while I’m working on my G3 that will primarily be for music use. He currently has one Lite-On drive, but I’m not sure what model. I tried burning to the aforementioned discs with both Nero Express and Padus Disc Juggler, and both stopped about 4% into the burn. Until recently, my roommate had three of the same drives (a “ghetto duplicator”) and he removed two of the drives, but I burned TY discs after that (until yesterday, when I started using these silver hubs) with no problem.

I was just worried scanning-wise…I’ve been advised that LiteOn DVD burners don’t do a good job of scanning CDRs (although they’re excellent for scanning DVDRs). If you have a LiteOn CD burner, that’s OK.

Still, even if you are scanning the CDRs on a LiteOn DVD burner, I’d guess it’s better than nothing! :slight_smile:

Actually, most LiteOn (EDIT: CD scans made by DVD drives) scans aren’t even meaningful.
But in the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king.

You mean most LiteOn CDR scans, right? :wink:

Oh yes, most LiteOn CD scans by DVD writers. ^^"

Yeah, I take back my earlier statement. After thinking about DrageMester’s CDR scans on a Litey DVDRW, I agree with you :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I didn’t even say that it is just a CD-R drive. Seriously, thanks for being so responsive everybody!

In the land of the blind
Be…king…king…king
(anybody recognize that?)

Breathes a sigh of relief

I think (always happy to be corrected!) a LiteOn CD burner should do the job very nicely. :slight_smile:

How nice, I’m being quoted on my opinion of LiteOn DVD burners as CD quality scanners! :cool:

LiteOn CD burners should do fine as CD quality scanners, but they are usually very good readers so they tend to show lower C1/C2 totals compared to many other drives.

I think your post about it should be a sticky, the amount of times I’ve had to refer to it :bigsmile:

Indeed, I need to respect a mod :wink:

To Whom It May Concern:
The Lite-On LTR-52327S drive in question let me burn to one of the cd-r’s earlier today. I then ran a quality scan in CD-DVD Speed with the following results:

Errors: 0
DAE Quality: 10
Accurate Stream: Yes

I’m going to assume this means the drive “likes” the media and that they are genuine TY. I burned a couple more discs and they seem to be fine, so I don’t know what was going on the other day.

Again, thanks to everyone for being so responsive (and not kicking it back to the newbie section, where it obviously belonged!) I’m sure you’ll all sleep a little better now. :stuck_out_tongue: