TY Unbranded CD-R or JVC Premium Branded?

vbimport

Which do you find to be better quality?

Since TY has been bought by JVC (or maybe it is just a patnership… I am not sure about it), I noticed a very bad decrease in matter of the good old quality of the media.

I might be wrong, but my idea is TY unbranded if you can still find some.

I just bought a new cakebok of TY CD-Rs labeled by JVC and it is just awful: more less like a TDK .

I’d have to say go for the unbranded TY’s if you can get them, and buy up as
many as you can afford to buy as when they are gone they are gone for good
and only the JVC’s will be left and the quality is no where as good. :disagree:

@ FlyingLuka
@ getit29

is it possible to show us a lot of your jvc cd-r scans with burner and burn speed info?

may be here http://club.myce.com/f77/taiyo-yuden-76069/index9.html

and if you have a benq 1620/40/50/55 or ew 164b/162I some advanced disk quality scans would be fine.

[QUOTE=memory;2588561]@ FlyingLuka
@ getit29

is it possible to show us a lot of your jvc cd-r scans with burner and burn speed info?

may be here http://club.myce.com/f77/taiyo-yuden-76069/index9.html

and if you have a benq 1620/40/50/55 or ew 164b/162I some advanced disk quality scans would be fine.[/QUOTE]

Sure memory, no problem. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I do not have “a lot” of JVC cd-r scans. Only one which is a summary and very representative of several bad scans made after T.Y. switched to JVC.

In the screenshots I am going to show you - AudioCD - you will read 3,541 C1 errors.
It’s a little too much thinking about the old good quality of the T.Y. CD-r that usually used to have no more than 1,000 C1 errors.

Anyway, this is the result.

My burner is a Plextor Premium II, burning speed 16x, *wav files ripped by EAC.

is your scanner the premium II, too?
and the scanning speed is 10-24?

have a look at the burning speed for some old taiyos

looks like the burning speed of 4x or 8x are for better burning results.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2588571]Only one which is a summary and very representative of several bad scans made after T.Y. switched to JVC.

In the screenshots I am going to show you - AudioCD - you will read [B]3,541[/B] C1 errors.
It’s a little too much thinking about the old good quality of the T.Y. CD-r that usually used to have no more than [B]1,000 [/B]C1 errors.[/QUOTE] That’s less than 1 C1 error per second on average, with zero C2 (E22) and zero CU (E32) as far as I can tell. This is a good scan - not a bad scan. In my opinion you are demanding too much of your scans.

[QUOTE=memory;2588586]is your scanner the premium II, too?
and the scanning speed is 10-24?

have a look at the burning speed for some old taiyos

looks like the burning speed of 4x or 8x are for better burning results.[/QUOTE]

One more time: burning an audiocd made of 75 minutes of music I did not get more than 1,000 C1 errors by the “old” TY media.
Cakebox after cakebox, month after month, I noticed a slow but constant decreasing in matter of quality.

I am almost sure that in a couple of months, when I wll buy a new cakebox, the scannings will be different, and the media will get worse

Anyway, to answer your question: the scanner is the Premium II too and the scanning speed is 4x like advised by Plextools: higher speeds than 4x are not realible.

I also tried 2x, 4x and 8x burning speed but it was even worse. The old rule to burn audio at the lowest possible speed is not a good one anymore. Not by using nowdays media.

There are several threads here about the “ideal” speed for audio, and 16x seems to be to perfect match!

:wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2588593]That’s less than 1 C1 error per second on average, with zero C2 (E22) and zero CU (E32) as far as I can tell. This is a good scan - not a bad scan. In my opinion you are demanding too much of your scans.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are right I am demanding too much, but let me tell you the reason: :slight_smile:

since the “old” T.Y. had 1,000 errors or a little less and now, by the new ones, they are just tripled, it means the errors used to be 0,3 per second.

I am only expecting the quality that TY used to have, nothing more but especially nothing less.

Otherwise why should I spend 0,35 eurocent per CD when I can spend 0,15 eurocent for a cheap Verbatim/useless AZO and get almost the same result? :frowning:

maybe the optical laser lens is aging. :wink:
what is the burning time of your premium II?
do you smoke?

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2588594]
I also tried 2x, 4x and 8x burning speed but it was even worse. The old rule to burn audio at the lowest possible speed is not a good one anymore. Not by using nowdays media.
[/QUOTE]

hmmm

jamescooley1
Plextor Premium II/1.03, 75:03 burned @ 4x
Sold As: Maxell CD-R Max 48x CD-R
ATIP: 97m24s01f
Made In: Japan
VeriRec: On-Default setting~Offset +0.5
AMQR: N/A

that’s a nice burn for 4x and scanning speed of 16x. :bigsmile:
and cd-r 48x isn’t an old media.

Hopefully not. I doubt it.

I still have some of the old TY media and as soon as I saw same not very good scan with the new ones, I tried to burn an old one and the scan was excellent again. I mean that if it was a problem with the lens, I should get same scan with old and new TY.

So I do not think it is a matter of hardware and/or the lens.

Of course the lens get old like everything, but this Plextor is only 2 years old and I did not burn more than 200 cd-r.

Of course I know the lens should have some “maintenance”, but everyone advised me NOT to use those type of cleaning lens CD, dry or wet.

memory I guess you have to accpet the fact that the media by TY are NOT the good one like they used to be.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2588625]memory I guess you have to accpet the fact that the media by TY are NOT the good one like they used to be.[/QUOTE]
no problem but…

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2588598]
Otherwise why should I spend 0,35 eurocent per CD when I can spend 0,15 eurocent for a cheap Verbatim/useless AZO and get almost the same result? :([/QUOTE]

…for the interested members.
if i can get a better quality than i would go for it.
my experiences are actual blank media of jvc (taiyo yuden) are still a lot better than verbatim cd-r (actual blank media).

here are the verbatim quality what i mean. for verbatim cd-r and the azo version.

[QUOTE=memory;2588632]

…for the interested members.
if i can get a better quality than i would go for it.
my experiences are actual blank media of jvc (taiyo yuden) are still a lot better than verbatim cd-r (actual blank media).[/QUOTE]

That is the problem!

actual blank media of jvc (taiyo yuden) are still a little better than verbatim cd-r (actual blank media)

If if you were talking about old production of blank media by TY, I would have said a lot :wink:

lucky you. :bigsmile:

i think after the awfully earthquake in japan taiyo yuden / jvc will replace his machines. we will see in a year maybe in a half year if the quality will be better like in old days.

Hopefully! :iagree:

Even if I think companies are not interested in media production anymore.

Look at the Kodak: they made an excellent type of CD-r years ago, I am talking about the Kodak Gold.
I still have some, still in a very good condition and still readable… and I cannot tell the same about some media by Verbatim bought only 4 years ago.

Anyway, at one point, without a logical reason, the Kodak quit the production. Why? Nobody knows it.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2588641]Hopefully! :iagree:

Even if I think companies are not interested in media production anymore.[/QUOTE]
Even the major media manufacturers (like Infomedia) are now turning their CD-R lines off and trying to get rid of their machinery. This business is not profitable any more.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2588641]Anyway, at one point, without a logical reason, the Kodak quit the production. Why? Nobody knows it. [/QUOTE]
Because they were losing big money on the CD-R production.

[QUOTE=pepst;2588647]Even the major media manufacturers (like Infomedia) are now turning their CD-R lines off and trying to get rid of their machinery. This business is not profitable any more.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was afarid of… and it should explain too the TY quality decreasing.

[QUOTE=pepst;2588647]
Because they were losing big money on the CD-R production.[/QUOTE]

How was it possible? People were buying their CD-Rs…

It’s kind of discouraging to think that my next batch of TY discs won’t be as good as what I’m used to, but what’s even more discouraging is the thought that there eventually may not be any premium CD-R media anymore.

Yes, it is.

But in general filth, TY media are still the best. … especially becasue we do not have a lot of options nor valid alternatives.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2588493]Since TY has been bought by JVC (or maybe it is just a patnership… I am not sure about it), I noticed a very bad decrease in matter of the good old quality of the media.

I might be wrong, but my idea is TY unbranded if you can still find some.

I just bought a new cakebok of TY CD-Rs labeled by JVC and it is just awful: more less like a TDK .[/QUOTE]

I’ve found the same; more so on dvdr’s than cdr’s, but I have also had some bad batches of cdr’s since the JVC purchase.

I have only tried the cakes with no label on the disc & JVC & related info type written on the packaging; I have not tried the JVC packages with nice art work.