TY Silver Watershield Discs

vbimport

I was stumbling around found that TY Watershield CD media is now available with a silver printable surface. Has anyone tried these yet? I’ve got a call in for a sample, sounds sweet. :clap:

http://www.microboards.com/Products/Default.aspx?id=496

WOW! that could make for some interesting effects. Let us know how they work out. I always thought that one of the best points of the silver was it’s flat finish.

I see that Rima has silver hub printable CDRs back in stock too.

Rima tells me that they may have the silver Watershield by the end of Sept. :bow:

Can these be used in a Canon Pixma iP4500 printer?

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2133750]Can these be used in a Canon Pixma iP4500 printer?[/QUOTE]

Of course, once they are available.

[QUOTE=CDan;2133753]Of course, once they are available.[/QUOTE]

They are available here in Canada. :stuck_out_tongue:
So will I get better results with these discs compared to the original TY Watershield discs?

EDIT: Oops, only CD-R availabe at the moment. :o

WOW, Silver TY Watershield?

I’d better get some of those when they come out!

Okay, just got them, I’ll write up a review shortly - but these things look NICE!

Rima still doesn’t have them. :sad:

Meritline does have them, so I bit.

[QUOTE=Xscream;2138356]Okay, just got them, I’ll write up a review shortly - but these things look NICE![/QUOTE]

Can’t wait to read your review,if you can pop a picture in also that would be really great.

These discs have a lot in common with the Watershield white. They’re not “silver” like thermal silver, but more of a very pale grey. It’s almost impossible to get a good photo showing the look of them, but here goes:

They are printable from 22mm to 117mm, but the inner hub only has silver background down to 27mm. The inner ring obviously has a different look to it due to there being no dye behind it.

As with any silver printable, white disappears and becomes silver, though with these the effect is much less apparent. Here’s a label I happened to have ready with a lot of white in it: (look for the camera reflection to see how glossy they are)

Here’s a plain text with graphic and no background. Note that the CDFreaks logo has a white background. Again look for the camera reflection in the flat-angle shot. Also note that I applied the drop-shadow to the text

All in all, I have to say that these are the coolest thing to come along since inkjet printable discs were introduced. While they are not shiny-silver like plain silver lacquer discs are, they do retain some of that look and are stunning to look at. They will take photos and images much better than regular silver printable discs will, but give it a “chrome” like look.

I sure hope we see some DVDRs with this finish real soon.

Here’s a label I normally print on regular silver to give it the 3-D look. On these discs, it looks more like it would on white Watershield, but the areas that would be white have that “chrome” look to them. A very subtle but effective look. It doesn’t show in the photo, but the text “Galactica” and the background under “season 4” look like chrome. Also the highlights on the toasters looks like chrome.

Thanks for the pictures, CDan. These discs look very impressive. :slight_smile:

Thanks CDan for the pictures, and yoyr description.
I take it that being Ty the burn quality is Excellent as always?

Looks like I will have to get some.

What, you’re supposed to burn these things? :confused: I thought they were just fer lookin’ at.

Burned at 40x:

Nero DiscSpeed: Disc Info
Basic Information
 Disc type:    : CD-R
 Manufacturer: : Taiyo Yuden
 MID           : 97m24s01f
 Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X - 24 X - 32 X - 40 X - 48 X - 52 X
 Capacity:     : 79:59.72
               : 703 MB
Extended Information
 Usage         : General
 Disc Status   : Empty
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - C0 00 98 00 61 18 01 00 4F 3B 48 00 00 00 80 00 - ....a...O;H.....
0010 - 00 80 00 00 00 80 80 00                         - ........

Ohh so nice!

Thanks CDan.

Soon as the DVD version comes out I am buying…

I just made a spot on the shelf for them :bigsmile:

Now I just got to order them. :iagree:

Thanks CDan :clap: