Ty Premium vs. Valueline

Most people prefer TY media and that tune hasn’t changed for years. Back a few years ago when researching media white hub-printable media I was steered to the Ricoh media and have been buying it since while using TY and Verbatim for my not white media as I could get deals, like the Verbatims I bought this week for $16/100.

The question is, what is the difference between the TY Premium and the TY Valueline media? Is ALL TY media good, or is their Valueline not that good?

I just bought a box of Valueline TY media and am concerned now that might not be very good.

Part of the reason for asking this is I need to buy more white media. I normally shop at the Supermedia store and here are the options:

Ritek 16X $25/100 and they are rated 4 by the users

TY 8X Premium $40/100 and rated 4.5 by the users

Ty 8X Valueline $30/100 and rated 3.5 by the users

Ritek 8X $32/100 and is rated 3.5 by the users

I know there is more knowledge here than amongst the users who rated the media at the store. The Ritek 16X at $25 is very tempting but I haven’t used their 16X media before.

Based on the user ratings, the Ritek 8X is equivalent to the TY Valueline, the Ritek 16 X is better then that, and the TY premium is better then that.

I have yet to make a coaster with the Ritek media in all this time, but I am also concerned about being able to read my media years from now.

I know there are people here that think the only media to buy is TY Premium, but has it been compared to the Value media?

Thanks!

Lew

I’d say skip the Riteks altogether and rest assured in the quality of TY. Valueline or Premium is up to how much you want to spend for media and how good you want it to look in scans. I don’t think being labelled as “Value” or “Premium” has an effect in the longevity of TY media, it does however affect the quality of the burn as shown through scans (but generally they’re still much better than everything else).

There have been some reports of Valueline media having “defects” that were only evident through scans, but that can happen pretty much to any media, even Premium TY, Verbatim etc. (but to a lesser degree I guess).

I’ve lost faith in Ritek/RiData DVDs and avoid it like the plague - I thought Ritek F1/16 would change that but… :Z The only Ritek worth buying are CDs IMHO.

TY Premium First line stuff
TY Valueline- TY rejects

[QUOTE=evo69;2240268]I’d say skip the Riteks altogether and rest assured in the quality of TY. Valueline or Premium is up to how much you want to spend for media and how good you want it to look in scans. I don’t think being labelled as “Value” or “Premium” has an effect in the longevity of TY media, it does however affect the quality of the burn as shown through scans (but generally they’re still much better than everything else).

There have been some reports of Valueline media having “defects” that were only evident through scans, but that can happen pretty much to any media, even Premium TY, Verbatim etc. (but to a lesser degree I guess).

I’ve lost faith in Ritek/RiData DVDs and avoid it like the plague - I thought Ritek F1/16 would change that but… :Z The only Ritek worth buying are CDs IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I have always used this site for all things related to ripping, burning, drives, and media. That means that when I first started buying the Ritek printable media, I was told to here. I knew at that time TY was better, but was told the Ritek was second best, and the best bang for the buck.

Based on that recommendation I bought it then and because it always worked for me, I never changed my path. I am still as happy with it as I always have been.

Because I needed more non-thermal media for backing up pictures, I started checking on the current “best” normal media and the word was still TY, but for a cheaper alternative it was suggest I go with Verbatim MIT or Sony…but then others said to skip Sony. But just like I took that advice and bought some Verbatim this week, I was given the suggestion to use Ritek a few years ago and have been happy with it all this time.

YMMV

Thanks!

Lew

Premium is grade A
valueline is grade B

the valueline is comparable to most of the “stuff” out of China as grade A (your Sony and Ritek)

My experience with Value Line has not been to good. They can be had cheaply from shop4tech especially with their % off deals. They usually seem to ship TYG03, even though they advertise TYG02s.

The problem for me is that the great majority work fine, but I have to watch the burn process or do scans to make sure a dud hasn’t slipped in. Not worth the time and effort to save a few cents.