Ty or Verbatim

vbimport

Im going to pc world later and was wondering what media is better, TY or Verbatim media?

Verbatim is close but not equal to TY, That is just my taste

I’ve had bad experience with Verbatim - I’ve never tried TY though.

I’ve used both, and never had a problem with either of them, but get TY if you can. Don’t feel too bad if you get Verbatims though :slight_smile:

Name your drive and model some drives don’t have good writing stratagies for Verbs and some for TYs. A good burn is made up af a number of factiors including disc, drive and firmware. Therefpre a blanket answer can not be given.

I’ll counter jt, I have not had a bad experience with Verbs, the only time the discs failed to write was caused by my actions on the PC at the time. jt and I miht have different drives.

I have an nec nd-3540a with 1.01 firmware

Sorry you don’t have a choice you’ll have to go for Verbatims. PC World do not stock TYs after all that’s the chain that told one customer that there is no difference between media http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=172162 , and I have yet to come across them for sale anywhere but the internet. If you can shop online:
http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden.html
http://svp.co.uk/products-list.php?cid=81

Agreed there - you won’t find TY in PC World. However, I did once find some Panasonic TYs in there about two years ago (maybe I was just lucky?).

But as a rule, if you want TY, buy from SVP online, or take Verbs from PC World.

I would say lucky, once two years ago is not exactly a good example. You might get his hopes up:)

Definately TY if you can get it. I think you won’t ever encounter “That’s” labeled TY media in a brick and mortar shop (except in Asia or Greece), just look for Verbatim Pastel Disc (not Color Disc!) or Plextor media, which are relabeled TYs.

Hehe, I know - that’s why I stuck the “As a rule…” bit on the end. All I can find in PC World these days (that is decent quality) is Verbs. :iagree:

yeah… just got back with 50 verb dvd-rs, for £20. Quite disapointed not to have found any TY’s. Oh well. Someone tried to convince me to buy some “LOGIK” disks, saying they were better value. Still pleased with my decision spending the little bit more for media I know will last longer. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen those Logik ones in PCW, too. You made a good decision, opting for the Verbs. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

TYG02 and YUDENT002 often give better burns than Verbatim 8X media these days, but the new 16X TY discs are not better in this area than MCC 16X Verbatim. The problem with these (MCC004 and MCC03RG20) is that there are more and more reports of media quality variation. :frowning: - TY is far more consistent.

Now the overlooked problem, if one’s concern is longevity, is that TY DVDR media is far more fragile than MCC DVDR media, easier to scratch, easier to break, to damage etc… so it’s not a clear cut. For people who take great care of their discs, the overall picture is different than for people who are a little rougher in their handling.

There are plenty of other choices BTW. Right now I think the best discs on the market are neither TY nor MCC, but the TDK-branded MBIPG101 R04. Good price, great burns, sturdy discs, and very stable according to accelerated aging tests (but I don’t know if it’s possible to find them in the US).

[B]Dakhaas[/B] said that the Philips-branded version of these MBI discs is even better, I have no personal experience with them, but I tend to trust the man. :wink:

My two cents.

I would have suggested those :iagree: , but I don’t think I’ve seen them in my local PC World (thanks for making me think, I’ll have to check!)…and I get the feeling so far, that haveacigar would prefer to shop in “regular” shops, as opposed to somewhere like SVP. :slight_smile:

I too wouldn’t mind trying out those Philips branded MBIPG101 R04s, after what dakhaas said :iagree:

I’ve seen them in Stationary Box and avoided them like the plague.

Now the overlooked problem, if one’s concern is longevity, is that TY DVDR media is far more fragile than MCC DVDR media, easier to scratch, easier to break, to damage etc… so it’s not a clear cut. For people who take great care of their discs, the overall picture is different than for people who are a little rougher in their handling

this is whyI haven’t realy bothered trying to convinve my friend to let me use his card to buy TYs as I have only seen the in 100s and only want to try them first. I’ll stick with verbs, unless arachne is going to be kind and send me one of his precious stock (another thread needs to be read to get that one). Mainly because I am renouned amongst my friend for not putting discs back in their cases, therefore I need a disc that is a little more robust. :bigsmile:

There are plenty of other choices BTW. Right now I think the best discs on the market are neither TY nor MCC, but the TDK-branded MBIPG101 R04. Good price, great burns, sturdy discs, and very stable according to accelerated aging tests (but I don’t know if it’s possible to find them in the US).

One of the shops I go to on my shopping days sells TDK singles I will have to have a look and see if they are MII and get a couple for a test and see if they are robust enough for me. Good to know.

Her precious stock :p…and I may do. If you’re nice. :bigsmile:

Yeah, try those MBI TDKs, they’re excellent discs. :iagree:

Fine her stock :bow: Depends how nice you need me to be, don’t expect too much. :bigsmile:

I’ll take a closer look at the discs, if theirs is not MII I can always check at smiths as they have TDKs in too.

Post a picture of your cats in the Living Room, and I shall consider it. :bigsmile:

I can’t digicam cable has gone missing and so can’t transfere pics to PC to post :sad: . You’ve seen my snakes that should be good enough :slight_smile: