TY Media, how can you tell?

I am thinking I will spend the extra and get TY media for the NEC 2500A that I am planning to buy from newegg.com. Problem is… how can I tell what really is TY media? Some Memorex disks are TY, some are not, and the same seems to go for all brands. What is a way to be sure I am spending 90 bucks for a 50 pack of REAL TY media? Does anyone know of a good US webbased source of this media? Thanks!!!

Some Memorex disks are TY, some are not

There are no TY-made Memorex DVD’s, nor does Newegg sell any TY that I know of. ACCAProducts is my current supplier of choice for media. If you want some excellent media for the 2500A, Office Depot has Maxell DVD-R (made in Japan) on sale, 2x 15ct spindles this week for $27. (30 discs). They are excellent in the 2500.

One sign of TY media is to look for “Made in Japan” on the packaging.

Even if it says “Made in Japan” it may be TDK or Maxell as well, but if it says something else than Made in Japan you are at least sure that it’s not TY.

Plextor DVD+R and Samsung DVD+R are TY. They are exactly the same, but the Plextors burn at 8X and the Samsungs at 4X

Originally posted by Nicowico
Plextor DVD+R and Samsung DVD+R are TY. They are exactly the same, but the Plextors burn at 8X and the Samsungs at 4X

Samsung is revision 0 discs = works at 8x in very few drives
Plextor is revision 1 discs = works at 8x in more drives (BTC, Lite-On).

What do you mean by revision 0 and 1?

Check with DVD Identifier :wink: The product revision field:

Revision 0:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T01-000]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Revision 1:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T01-001]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T01]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Also possible to read out from serial code on the disc.

Look at the DYE side of the disc - near the DYE TSxxxx = revision 0, TCxxxxx = revision 1.

Difference seems to be that revision 1 is better at handling 8x write speed.

where else do you guys get media?
Good media, that is.
like TY +R

well i got Arita and Memorex’s that were Ricoh’s from a deal at OfficeMax. those work well for me and i just booktype them for compatibility. the Memorex ones aren’t always hit are miss, you can tell which ones are CMC’s and which ones are Ricoh from the casing that Memorex uses. ALL Arita’s are Ricoh or Ritek if you’re using -R. they’re a cheaper alternative to using TY. if you want TY, sometimes BestBuy or CompUSA will have deals on 10packs of Fuji w/ Jewel Cases for ~10-20 dollars. depends on the sale. it’s not a bad deal at all, but i’ve gotten used to paying less than $1 a dvd now, but mine don’t come w/ jewel cases, which i can get free after rebate at stores. but like all the others said, if you want TY, make sure to look for the “made in Japan” print on the label. i went to BestBuy yesterday and almost all they’re media, in 2 25packs, 50 pack, 2 50packs, 100pack all have “made in Taiwan” on the side. you’re going to have to go for the 10packs or singles, that’s where they make the most money, not in bulk.

Originally posted by riddles

where else do you guys get media?
Good media, that is.
like TY +R
Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4.7GB 4X $1.68 ea 100-Pack

&

&