TY DVD at Newegg?

vbimport

I was browsing Newegg today while procrastinating… noticed this:

One of the customer reviews said that it’s Taiyo Yuden. The DVD Media List over at dvdrhelp said that it’s TY. The picture is that of a spindle of TYs. And it’s only $57! $1.14 each for TY +R discs? Sounds almost too good to be true. :slight_smile: Too bad they’re out of stock. I’ll contact NE once they go back in stock and ask them if the packaging still looks the same. If so, I’ll be off grabbing a spindle. :wink:

It could also be Beall. If you want TY, go here .

Originally posted by rdgrimes
It could also be Beall. If you want TY, go here .

I know. But the ones there are over 30% more expensive. I’ll call NE and ask them about the packaging shape.

I assume you are aware that Samsung owns Beall. At least that’s my understanding.

I assume you are aware that Samsung owns Beall. At least that’s my understanding.

Yes, I know. Well, I got the impression that BeAll is now an independent spinoff. But whatever the case–whether it’s a spinoff or a subsidiary–they do have very close ties.

It does strike me as strange, though, that companies don’t seem to turn to the most obvious sources of discs. Maxell discs don’t all carry the Maxell code–some are TYs, some are Ricohs. Verbatim discs don’t all carry the MCC/MKM code, even though they are owned by MCC/MKM. Likewise with Philips, Sony and TDK, whose discs are sometimes made by others even though they have their own media manufacturing & media code. I’m hoping that Samsung is doing the same here. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t go on that comment alone unless you can get some verification by email or something. Ask newegg maybe they’ll tell you. It could be pure conjecture, in fact he doesnt say he did a media id test or list the media id. Then again, it could be TY. BeAll is ok media anyways, so it’s a gamble but not a complete crapshoot.
Let us know what you find.

this is one review must have done a scan of somesort…

This is some good media. I have a NEC-2500a and bought some ritek G04’s and i had some probs with that media like a lot of people are having with the NEC-2500a. SO, I decided to try different media because Riteks werent working out for me and all I got to say is WOW!!! the Media code on the Samsungs are YUDEN000T01 which are the Taiyo Yudens that come to be a little too expensive from various stores due to the quality of the media that this is hyped for. I put it in the burner and whats quoted at newegg as 4x I can burn at 8X with the NEC-2500a and a lot of ppl know that NEC 2500a is picky at what it can burn at 8x. THANKS NEWEGG FOR THIS AWESOME PURCHASE I WILL ALWAYS BE A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE!!!

edit: this isnt my post dont know how the hell it got my name on it! Wild!!

Got this in on Monday. Works really well at 8x. Media code is YUDEN000T01.

Great media works very good on my new Benq Dw822A. look at the recording hardware forum for my post on benq 822a vs. nec 2500a…i have a amazing scan at 8x on this media!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=578651#post578651

Originally posted by Jamos
[B]Great media works very good on my new Benq Dw822A. look at the recording hardware forum for my post on benq 822a vs. nec 2500a…i have a amazing scan at 8x on this media!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=578651#post578651 [/B]

It’s TY. What did you expect? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

My only concern is that because Samsung has been known to use a variety of different suppliers for its media (notably BeAll, which is very closely tied w/ them), it’s hard to know if the discs that I get when I buy them will by TY or not. Well, we’ll see when the time comes. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by code65536
[B]It’s TY. What did you expect? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

My only concern is that because Samsung has been known to use a variety of different suppliers for its media (notably BeAll, which is very closely tied w/ them), it’s hard to know if the discs that I get when I buy them will by TY or not. Well, we’ll see when the time comes. :slight_smile: [/B]

is beall bad?

I’ve burned over 1000 BeAll 4x without any problems. OCFreak seems to like them as well. I wouldn’t characterize that as bad.

BeAll 1x reportedly is RitekG03, but all the 4x I’ve used has the BeAll code.

Originally posted by Jamos
is beall bad?

Oh, no, they’re not bad. But they’re not TY. :slight_smile:

They came back into stock last night. Contacted NE customer service to ask them if the units they had in stock were exactly like the photographs, with a black base, flared bottom, rounded top, etc., and they said yes. So I just bought a spindle; should be here on Friday. :slight_smile: Mmm… my very first experience with TY DVDs… looking forward to it. :bigsmile:

These are the first revision TY DVD discs (YUDEN000/T01/00)… the ones that are set to 4x in the official LiteOn firmware (not that it’ll stop me from burning them at 8x… ;)). But it’s still a TY disc. And as silly as it sounds, I’m excited because this is my first time ever touching a fabled TY DVD disc (I have plenty of their CDs, but this is my first time playing with their DVD lineup). :slight_smile:

(yea, my package just got here a few minutes ago… hehe)

code65536,

Can you please post your views on the quality of this media after you use it and how it compares to other media that you have used, if you have time?

these are the first revision TY DVD discs (YUDEN000/T01/00)…

Is there a difference in quality amongst the TY revisions? Has anybody ever used these Samsung TY on a NEC 2500A with stock firmware and got it to burn over 4X? Thanks for the help.

All TY T01 should burn at 8x on the 2500A.

Originally posted by Mohawk3
Is there a difference in quality amongst the TY revisions? Has anybody ever used these Samsung TY on a NEC 2500A with stock firmware and got it to burn over 4X? Thanks for the help.

Posted a scan of my very first TY burn in the media tests forum. Extremely pleased with how the media burned for most of the disc (with error levels far lower than any anything I’ve burned before), but then the error jumped at the very end for some unknown reason. :sad:

As for T01/00 vs. T01/01, I’m not quite sure what the difference is. On glancing through the TY tests in the media tests forum, it seems that most of them are T01/00 (unfortunately, only DVD Identifier and DVD Decrypter media reports specify revision, so most of them don’t specify, so in order to find out, look for “54 30 31 00” in the media code block for T01/00 or “54 30 31 01” in the media code block for T01/01) Unfortunately, there just aren’t enough data points to really make any statement about T01/00 vs. T01/01.

but then the error jumped at the very end for some unknown reason

Dude, get an NEC. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dude, get an NEC. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or it could be a media issue. My second TY burn coastered. CRC errors on both my combo and my DVD drive. So I decided to investigate the surface of the disc…

Weird, huh?

This was viewed under sunlight for the best contrast (those 3 dots were hard to see under regular light). Definitely not burner-created, due to the big round shape and the fact that it’s 3 clustered together like that (no other visible defects on the disc).

*edit: The first TY that I burned also seemed to have a minor dot-like blemish on the edge. But it was just one, and it was small, and didn’t appear nearly as dark as these 3 did. Incidentally, that first disc plays fine, but this one coastered.