TY -> CMC Equipment Move

vbimport

Does anyone have any evidence of this?

The CMC-Pro has been absolutely awful for me, so I’ve moved away from it, but I had heard a lot of distributors throw that exact line at me - to try and convince me the CMC-Pro was Taiyo-Yuden and there was no change. Obviously that’s not the case but it caused me a lot of hassle with customers finding that out.

As far as I can tell it’s a lie. CMC’s press release for the acquisition states they’ve acquired licenses for some patents and media codes, but no mention of equipment.

Also after looking over a few of the financial returns and IR documents (Thanks Google Translate!), I can see mentions of the acquisition of licensing but absolutely no costs associated with or mention of the purchase of equipment - be that the equipment itself or the additional floor space and personnel that they’d require.

To me, it also makes absolutely no sense to pack up this equipment (that is really not designed to be disassembled and moved), that as far as I understand isn’t bespoke anyway and ship it, when you can easily adjust existing machinery to do the same thing.

Regardless it would be interesting to see if anyone has any evidence to the contrary!

To be honest, later batches of Japan-made TY CDs and DVDs didn’t inspire me with great confidence either. Things really went downhill in the late-2000s.

They did mention “cost reduction efforts” not working in the Taiyo-Yuden withdrawal press release, so I’m not surprised.

The thing that really got me was in an IR CMC release they referred to the TY license acquisition as a way to sell a [B]high-margin[/B] product, rather than a high quality one. I’ve tested regular CMC manufactured discs that perform better than the ‘CMC-Pro’ at 1/4 of the cost!

You know, you could be right. I merely made an assumption.

The stamper code of these CMC-made “powered by TY” discs contains both a TY-style code AND a CMC-style code, which is why I assumed the equipment made a trip; if it was all equipment that CMC had before, then I assumed the codes would still be in the normal CMC format. Reference a post made by Two Degrees…

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2782431]Burner: PX-760AUF #344285
Firmware: 1.07
Media: CMC Pro 16x DVD-R white thermal hub printable (MIT)
MID: TYG03
Stamper Code: GH008127 CMDR470-TYMSM01-127 0320
Hub Serial: MFP348UD17143038 4
Burn Speed: 16x
PowerRec: On
AutoStrategy: Auto (new strategy created)
Burning Software: Opti Drive Control 1.70
[…][/QUOTE](found here, in a thread I see you’ve visited before ;):http://club.myce.com/f33/cmc-pro-powered-ty-341120/#post2782431)
GH008127 is a TY-format stamper code.
CMDR470-TYMSM01-127 0320 is a CMC-format stamper code (a little tweaked from the usual).

The hub code is a normal CMC hub code.

When CMC made/make TDK and Verbatim media (among others), they at the least have to use the ‘correct’ dye, and the stamper code remained similar to that from TDK and Verbatim, making me guess that they also had to use the correct stampers for said discs.

The rest of the equipment, however, could have just been what CMC already had, meaning there wasn’t necessarily a move of 100% of the equipment (backed up by the fact that the hub codes are still CMC-style hub codes).

That’s where my thinking came from. I, too, would love to hear more info on this whole process went down – whether any equipment was moved, or if they just had to tweak a few parameters to match what is expected of the YUDEN000… and TYG… media codes.

That is interesting!

I’m not very clued up on hub and stamper codes, so please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’d imagine that these are present on the moulds forming the disc?

If that’s the case, it would stand to reason that the entire stamper code is pressed at the same time. Which would mean that they’re using a new mould created after the license purchasing which, of course, wouldn’t be the original TY mould.

What I draw from this is that it’s very easy for a factory to change stamper and hub codes and the dye of the disc, without having a need for new equipment - possibly just a small moulding part and a license fee?

It might be a pessimistic view, but I don’t see why a company would make an investment into equipment that they don’t need.

I think that the line I hear from distributors always boils down to “it’s the same”, which it’s demonstrably not, and I do hate being lied to… especially professionally! Saying that, from a distributors point of view, I doubt many people will actually bother to scan them, or really do more than flip the disc over and have a gander at the dye colour - so they’re fairly safe in that regard.

If only there was more information! I can’t find any sign that they did so, it’s only people trying to sell me it that say it and they can’t provide any evidence either!