TY Ceramic vs Blue?

For the last 3 years or so i have been buying the blue brand of TY DVD+R discs, but I now just noticed that there’s also some ceramic brand which sells at more expensive prices. Any Idea, what the difference is between those two? :confused:

I have both here and they are only average media no match to good Verbatims the cheaper Blue are the better ones. But another package can have another quality there is no foresee possible. But for me also from experience with other 16x Taiyos they are today a clear “Must not have anymore”. :slight_smile: Some time ago since I have really quality Taiyo Yuden DVD media as I expected from that manufactorer.

I believe the difference is not really significant, especially since DVDs do not need any protection layer on the top. It’s just a matter of personal preference and style :slight_smile:

The n Why are they that much expensive? For example the 50cakebox costs an additional 4 Euros compared to the Blue ones. IS it all just for show? IS there now quality difference on the integrity of the data stored?

I really wonder about the same thing…

I can get
"Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4,7GB 16X Ceramic Cake 50pcs" with 11.95E
or
"Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4,7GB 16X Blue Cake 50pcs" with 9.49E
and
"Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4,7GB 8X Blue Cake 50pcs" with 9.49E

Is there any reason to prefer the first pack? Is this difference in price has something to do with value/premium line? What do you think?

Thank you…

Hello yyy!

I was in Greece last summer, and bought both blue and ceramic version in Plaisio.

Blue 16x were bad, about 1/3 was bad (and by “bad” I mean totally useless disc with write errors and unsuccessful burn)
Ceramic 16x are all good and scans much better than 16x blue.
Blue 8x are the best of these 3, not a single problem, and they scans great.

By reading the bach codes, I realize that blues are value line, and ceramic are premium line, but, as I said, blue 8x works great, I burned about 100 of them, not a single problem!

So, my recommendation will be to get 8x blue ones, 16x ceramic is not really worth extra 2.5 Eur difference, but they are great discs, too.

Good to hear! I hope you had a good time :wink: In Greece, not in Plaisio :bigsmile:

By reading the bach codes, I realize that blues are value line, and ceramic are premium line

That justifies the price difference :wink:

So, my recommendation will be to get 8x blue ones, 16x ceramic is not really worth extra 2.5 Eur difference, but they are great discs, too.

I already got a 50pcs pack of 8x Blue and after a couple of burns at 8x they seem very good. The scans I get are about the same or even a little bit better than my favorite Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC004) media!

I was just wondering if getting ceramic/premium had some kind of benefit, such as longevity and durability. But who can tell? :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot, this was very usefull info :flower:

How can you tell the difference between Value and Premium by the batch code? Can someone explain this in more detail?

From TY FAQ:

If the codes in the transparent hub are double printed/overprinted, shorter than normal or do not exist at all, you might have value line media. Value line media does not necessarily have those special hub codes though.

In my case, they are overprinted.

In my case, I cannot really say if they are overprinted. The inner hub info cannot be read in the picture below, but it is something like: WE814A404274PC and it is really difficult to read. At the other side of the disc, I can easilly read TG000041.

Judging only from their price they should be value line. Else for what reason the ceramic ones are selled at about 25% higher price?

Originally Posted by [B]yyy:[/B]
Good to hear! I hope you had a good time In Greece, not in Plaisio

Yes, it was great, and I am going again this summer, both Greece and Plaisio :stuck_out_tongue:

Last batch of blue ones also don’t have overprinted codes, it actually have same type of codes as That’s DVD+R I have (which is premium line).

Maybe value line ones were out of stock, so they put premium line instead :slight_smile:

:bigsmile: :clap: A CdFreak is always more than welcomed!!! :flower: :bigsmile:

Last batch of blue ones also don’t have overprinted codes, it actually have same type of codes as That’s DVD+R I have (which is premium line).

Maybe value line ones were out of stock, so they put premium line instead :slight_smile:

I wish you’re right! I’m affraid I don’t know enough to distinguish media from the batch codes :o

If it is really premium line media, for this price it looks like a very good bargain and I should go and buy few more batches!!! :slight_smile:

Like zivija, 8x are the only good blues I ever had.
The whites are all fine.

For those you don’t know, we are talking about a local brand, Diskimpex, that imports Taiyo Yuden media in Greece.
Except of the That’s branded discs, they market discs with their own name. These are separated to 2 “flavours”, the blues and the whites (ceramic coated).

[QUOTE=talos_2002;2275480]Like zivija, 8x are the only good blues I ever had.
The whites are all fine.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing!

Is there any wany to know if this is really premium media? From the hub code maybe?