TY CD-R vs. 5(6) writers ;)

Hi,

I just spent a couple of 52x rated Verbatim Pastell CD-R (TY) for some performance tests of my drives

[ul]
[li]Liteon SOHR-5239V 2$0C
[/li][li]Benq DW-1650 BCDC
[/li][li]LG GSA-4163B A106
[/li][li]Samsung TSST SH-W163A
[/li][li]Sony DW-G120A MYR4
[/li][li]Liteon SHM-165P6S MV96 (Crossflashed Sony)
[/li][/ul]
with quality media.
Write speed for each drive was set to 40x to improve comparability:
The LG is limited to max 40x, Sony’s default is also 40x max (Yeah, I know, there is the “turbo”-button;)), and the Samsung drive supports this media only at 40x.
Quality scans were performed with CD/DVD Speed using the Benq and with Kprobe2 using the Liteon CDRW drive. Drive speed was set to “Maximum” for any scan.

Here we go:

Liteon SOHR-5239V 2$0C:

Next one. Benq DW-1650 BCDC:

Now my LG GSA-4163B A106:

Samsung TSST SH-W163A.
If there weren’t that spike at the beginning, then this would be a great burn :slight_smile:

Sony DW-G120A MYR4
I consider this a coaster :Z

And now the Sony again - disguised as Liteon SHM-165P6S MV96 :bigsmile:
no comment

Whoa…check out the jitter on the last two :eek: :eek:

/me hugs her two 1650s :flower:

Thanks for taking the time to do those, Michael - very useful to me as I have 2 of those burner models :slight_smile:

:iagree: It’s not a trick, it’s a Sony :rolleyes:

/me hugs her two 1650s
And what about your LG 4163? :bigsmile:

Thanks for taking the time to do those, Michael - very useful to me as I have 2 of those burner models :slight_smile:
You’re welcome, and hopefully, this might be useful for others, too;)

Just recsanning the Sony@Liteon burn, as I couldn’t believe that C2 at the end. Stay tuned…

Michael

Look forward to that rescan! That C2 is easy to miss, I didn’t spot it first time round :eek:

And of course, I love my 4163 too - best burner I ever owned (I’ve even taken it out of this machine to prolong its life a little) :bigsmile:

Here you are:
My Liteon CD Writer detects C2 errors, my Benq doesn’t. But astonishing enough, the scanning results have improved. :confused:

Thanks for those scans, mciahel!

The BenQ burned the disc at 48x instead of the selected 40x speed.
Both Arachne and myself have seen and reported this CDSpeed bug, which doesn’t happen with all drives.

I wouldn’t consider the Sony burn a coaster - there’s not even a single C2! :disagree:
It’s not an impressive result, but the BenQ is being much more picky when scanning such discs than other scanning drives, if your scans and the results I got here are representative.

Hi,

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

The BenQ burned the disc at 48x instead of the selected 40x speed.
Oooops! Well, then the results gained with the Benq count more in that comparision :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t consider the Sony burn a coaster - there’s not even a single C2! :disagree:
You may be right in this case. But the Sony is capable to do so: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=181368

It’s not an impressive result, but the BenQ is being much more picky when scanning such discs than other scanning drives, if your scans and the results I got are representative.
At least the shape is similar. Maybe this is typical for that drive. We need more DWG120A/SHM165P6S (and maybe related drives) users, that could provide additional scans.

But why does the CDRW drive see something completely different, even C2 errors, the Benq does not see? Is this all VooDoo? :confused:

Michael

Yes it’s voodoo, but we are the witch doctors! :bigsmile:

I think it’s likely, although I’m not sure, that the BenQ DW16xx drives report only E32 errors as C2. E32 is the worst kind of C2 errors, and it means that C2 error correction has failed (except for some drives that can correct E32 in some cases).

C2 errors consist of E12, E22 and E32.
Drives that can scan for C2 errors report this differently, but any accurate scan should include E22.
AFAIK the E12 errors are usually not included when reporting C2.

Plextor drives report C1/C2 this way:
C1 = E11 + E21 + E31
(E12 ignored)
C2 = E22
CU = E32

My guess is that the BenQ reports it this way, but I’m not sure:
C1 = E11 + E21 + E31
(E12 and E22 ignored)
C2 = E32

Drage - please, please, I beg you - don’t use the silver type, I’m short sighted enough as it is :bigsmile:

OK. I use it for writing stuff that is beside the point, but that I want to include for completeness, so I don’t have to hear people bitch about me not being accurate. :slight_smile:

That’s understandable - I was thinking you were doing it cause it’s funky :bigsmile:

What about using smaller type?

Just kidding about the small type thing - now I understand why you use silver, I can live with it :bigsmile:

So, I flashed the Sony to retail firmware MYR3:
THIS is what I expect from TY discs :clap:

Hi,

:bow:

I think it’s likely, although I’m not sure, that the BenQ DW16xx drives report only E32 errors as C2. E32 is the worst kind of C2 errors, and it means that C2 error correction has failed
Thank you for that explanation. This also means, that the Liteon CDRW apparently counts more “error types” as C2 than the Benq?

Greets,
Michael

That would be me. Thank you! :bow:

Hmmm, you’ve fired up my curiosity, so I will do it justice by burning 4 ISOs on to some old 32x Taiyo Yudens using my currently plugged-in drives, which are:

[ol]
[li]Lite-On SOHR-5239V 2$0D
[/li][li]Lite-On SHM-165P6S MV96
[/li][li]LG GSA-4166B 1.02
[/li][li]BenQ DW1650 BCHC
[/li][/ol]

Stay tuned … :wink:

Bloody hell! Clicking the list button erased what I had previously typed :a [using Opera 8.54].