Ty 02 not that good?

vbimport

I have always used Verbatim or Memorex on my liteon ldw411. Of course the manufacturer ID varies on these and they are just ok media at best. I spent the extra $ and bought some Fuji made in Japan Taiyo Yuden due to the praise I hear for that manufacturer. I have now burned 2 DVD+Rs and with both of them my Kprobe scans suck. The PI values are very high from the very beginning. I have used some very cheap media and never gotten values this bad. Am I doing something wrong?

ate : 3/19/2005 4:11:40 PM
Model : 1-0-0-0 LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S FS0K
Disc : DVD+R , YUDEN000T02 [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2291150
Sampling count : 124928
Errors : 0
PI Max : 890
PI Average : 530.90
PI Total : 9499823
PIF Max : 18
PIF Average : 2.85
PIF Total : 51018

I have some old DVD-ON DVD+RW that do not have anything listed under the manufacturer and they aren’t great, but better than these Ty 02. I just burned a Made in Taiwan DVD+R (Ricoh) and it is an ok burn. Did I just get unlucky and get a bad batch, or are the Ty 02 DVD+Rs all this bad? I think I will go back to Verbatim and just take my chances with who is making them. Her is the Ricoh results:
Date : 3/19/2005 6:42:01 PM
Model : 1-0-0-0 LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S FS0K
Disc : DVD+R , RICOHJPNR01 [Ricoh Company Limited]
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2291141
Sampling count : 125761
Errors : 0
PI Max : 277
PI Average : 83.84
PI Total : 1507784
PIF Max : 4
PIF Average : 0.09
PIF Total : 1542

Good media CANNOT fix a bad burner. Use the same burner to re-write AND re-read the cheap media and the TY media. The Fuji carry a lifetime warranty. If you suspect a bad batch, then contact Fuji toll-free for a replacement tub.

actually it is the drive not the discs is my guess. ty and some other 8x medias do not scan well in the 411: example even if they are fine discs it just cannot scan them

By saying 'they do not scan well", do you mean that the burn is probably ok, but they just do not scan well in kprobe? I have never had a problem with any other brand of media (even cheap brands). This makes me think my burner isn’t bad.

I just finished reading the entire thread you linked. I guess you are saying that it burns the 8x TY02 ok, but just won’t scan it in kprobe. Would a firmware upgrade/downgrade help? I do not have any other LiteOn drives to scan this media in to confirm that they are burning ok.

I think I found out that it has nothing to do with the 411s ability to scan. I have used CD Speed on another drive and the scan was just as bad. It is just that the 8x TY 02 media does not work well with my drive. I am burning 4x MCC002 media with PI/PIF averages of 20/.02. Ricoh isn’t as good, but still ok. This TY media is the only media that I have ever used that has given me problems. But it is the only 8x media I have ever used on this drive. Is it a problem with all 8x media and this drive?

You probably need to “upgrade” that drive to an 811s to get decent results with 8x media. The 411 does not have firmware support for most 8x media. It does show an entry for T02 in the firmware, But I don’t know if it’s a “good” one or not.

Yeah, I was thinking of trying that. I took the same media and recorded for 1 hour on my standalone DVD+RW recorder and then scanned with KProbe on the LDW411 and it wasn’t the best scan I had ever seen, but the average PI was ~150 and the PIF was very low.

Well, I upgraded my 411 and did a burn with the same media and got odd results. It was much worse than the 411 burn for the first 5% or so, then it got better than the 411 burns, but still not very good.

I have performed lots of burns and scans on this media with mixed results. Anything I scan at 4X (even stuff burned elsewhere on this media) looks ok at best, but usually terrible. Everything I scan at 2x looks pretty good with the exception of relatively small sections (usually at the beginning and end that are high). Is it normal to have this large of a difference between 2x and 4x scans? I still can’t decide if it is my drive (which does a great job on any 4X media I have tried) or a bad batch of media. The burns performed on my standalone recorders definitely scan better, but still not great quality. I am wondering if I should just buy a new drive.

http://www.knology.net/~sfrank/images/DVDQuality.pdf

i wouldn’t trust that liteon for scanning this media about the only thing i would be interested in with this drive is a transfer rate scan to see what the disc looks like at playback since i do not think the kprobe on this media gives any indication of what is really there

Thanks. I just ordered a Benq DW1620. I think it does just about everything I need (I am not much in to game copying).

have fun with your Benq. Mine LOVES TY media :slight_smile: