Two questions about the 2510A

vbimport

I plan to buy an 2510A soon. But there are two questions i need to get answered before i place my order:

1. What does the Retail package exactly contain and is it wise to buy it since i already have the best burn apps or do i get any disadvantages if i buy the bulk version?

2. Can the DL write speed of 2.4x be improved to 4x or higher in future firmwares or is it somehow limited to 2.4x?

Thanks in advance :wink:

1. No retail packages in the USA, so I can’t field this question.

2. Yes, DL write speed is currently being hacked and tested at 4X by our master firmware patcher, HERRIE.

Newegg has two 2510 package versions:

1. OEM drive with no cables or software

2. OEM drive with no cables, but with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 included

The price difference between the two is typically $2.

@syoung333, He’s in Germany, so he has access to 2510A retail versions.
Anyone out there have the 2510A retail package?

I’m just curious… Is there any fundamental reason that DL burn should be slower than SL?
(Of course excluding the media quality. Someday… we will have a 8x DL media at hand.)

I do know a simple argument why a 8x writer can’t write at 12x. (Even though the real life isn’t this simple.) At 12x the disc has less time to be exposed to the laser. An effective burn require approx. 1.5 times stronger laser to “burn” the same amount of dye.

Does DL bottom layer require stronger laser? Maybe… but I can’t figure out a thumb rule for that. (Can the top layer still go to 8x? Hmm…)

Originally Posted by wesociety
2. Yes, DL write speed is currently being hacked and tested at 4X by our master firmware patcher, HERRIE.

Originally Posted by jk736
Is there any fundamental reason that DL burn should be slower than SL? …

Does DL bottom layer require stronger laser? Maybe… but I can’t figure out a thumb rule for that. (Can the top layer still go to 8x? Hmm…)

It seems to be quite reasonable that one could try to burn the first layer at increased speed provided that the laser alignment could be controlled adequately so that it would not interfere with the second layer. I do believe the second layer requires a stronger laser as you suggest. Hopefully we will find out when our glorious leader, and master firmware patcher, HERRIE reports back.

I didn´t know that there are no retail packages in America, but i think i´m going to buy the bulk version since it seems to be possible to improve the DL write speed. I can get it at eBay for about 95€. Thanks so far!

Hi!

You can get it cheaper (and serious) here:

http://www.mindfactory.de

If you pay “Vorkasse” then it is 88,57 EUR including shipping costs…

Legnerp

Thanks alot Legnerp!
I think i gonna buy it there. It really seems more serious.