Two newbie question

vbimport

Hi. I just have my writer. I have two problems about writing and don't what to do. I will be glad if you can help me.

1)I have a cd-rw. I want to use it as a backup cd. I will be update files in it and maybe delete some of them. How can I delete or write specific files? I have Windows XP Pro, I tried using it but somehow the built-in burn program says that there isn't a cd in the drive. I deleted the cd with CloneCD (Fast Delete) and I was able to write a small file in it with Nero . And I can see the file and contents of the cd using regular drives. But still Windows says that there isn't any cd in the writer. What should I do?

2)I took image of a cd with Nero. I opened the nrg file with WinISO and added a file and saved. I burned the nrg image to the cd successfully. But somehow Windows doesn't recognize the cd. I insterted the cd in the writer but I still can't open it, Windows says that there isn't any cd in the drive. I have a LG cd-rom and a dvd player, I tried all of them but with no luck. Did I do something wrong with the burning?

whats your cd burner

In answer to question one, I would be using a packet writing program, this treats the CD as if it were a large floppy (or a small hard drive) and you can delete files (only from the catalog but they still exist) and update files, if you write a file using nero then this is probably a closed session which means you would not be able to write any more info to that cd anyway this should be able to be seen by all cd rom drives.

Try downloading a program call CD Diagnostic (sorry haven’t got the url), this bypasses the windows file management and you can check what is actualy on the cd with it.

whats your cd burner

Buslink 16x10x40 external usb2.0 . both nero and clonecd recognizes it as lite-on.

ctwiner:

I used nero to write but used multisession and didn’t finalized the cd.

Do you know a packet writing program compatible with Windows XP? And is this the only way to do this? I mean do I have to use such a program?

Originally posted by kensai
Do you know a packet writing program compatible with Windows XP? And is this the only way to do this? I mean do I have to use such a program?
Yes InCD version 2.26 (version 2.32 does not work). Yes this is the only way to do it and yes you have to use such a program. After formatting the CD-RW with InCD you will get a CD-RW with about 550 MB of space (the rest is used as TOC for the CD-RW). When you insert the CD-RW disc in your writer, InCD will mount it and you can add, delete and move files on the disc. When you’re done click on the icon on your tray and select eject. InCD will then unmount the disc.

I recommend InCD because you’re already using Nero. Do not use DirectCD by Roxio when Nero is installed. Yhis wil give you major problems. InCD is free when you use a registered version of Nero.

G@M3FR3@K I installed it an formatted the cd. But how should I use it? I can’t see any gui and in Windows Explorer it refuses to delete the files?

Hmm weird… You use it by simply inserting the CD-RW disc in your recorder. InCD will automatically detect it and mount it. The drive will start writing the disc a while and after a few seconds a window will pop-up saying the mount was successful. You can then delete/add/etc files from the CD-RW disc. There’s no GUI involved… You can use it as a large floppy. If you’re done right mouseclick on the InCD tray icon and select ‘Eject’.

Yeah I tried this. There’s a “InCD (H:)” link in “Send To” right-mouse menu. I tried this, XP said that there are files to be written to the cd. I opened the drive H: and clicked “Write these files to the cd” buton, XP said that there is no cd in drive H. I tried two different cd-rw’s and one of them was even fully formatted by InCD. XP didn’t saw both of them. I’m going to be nuts!

You shouldn’t use the CD-RW that way because Windows XP will not work with InCD this way. Windows XP will try to write the disc with its own engine and because the CD was formatted with InCD this doesn’t work. You should just drag&drop the files on to the CD-RW (with or without Windows Exolorer). Don’t use the ‘Send to’ links. Also when you don’t need the Windows XP writing engine just disable it. You can read here how to do that.

Thanks alot for the help G@M3FR3@K, this really helped. Now all I have to do is wait for a xp compatible version of InCd (2.26 is causing blue screens…)

Just in case someone wants to know…

BusLink 16x10x40 is a LiteOn 16x10x40 drive.

My cousin bought one yesterday and I must say it’s an excellent drive, containing SD2 support and perfect ripping capability!

Originally posted by kensai
Thanks alot for the help G@M3FR3@K, this really helped. Now all I have to do is wait for a xp compatible version of InCd (2.26 is causing blue screens…)
No problem :slight_smile: InCD v2.26 worked a while for me on Windows XP but a few days ago it crashed here too resulting in a useless CD-RW disc :frowning: