Two Hard drives impact on system performance

vbimport

Does having two harddrives on the same system slow the overall performance? Will one drive perform slower if two are on unilateraly?<

Oh God I hope not… I have five HDDs in my Dual Core Desktop.

the system drive is an internally redundant “enterprise” drive
in addition to that I have a pair of 160gb drives and another pair of 750gb drives.

So, no, it doesn’t hurt a thing.

AD

Thank you.

Depends on the controller & setup…

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2568306]Does having two harddrives on the same system slow the overall performance? Will one drive perform slower if two are on unilateraly?<[/QUOTE]

Actually it can enhance performance with things such as video conversion. I will put the file to be converted on one hard drive and write the converted file to another and the fps rate is better this way. The same would apply to any disk intensive application.

I got 6 HDD one the Main O/S and programs to run and the rest for storage and data so that when I access the other drives I don’t bog down the Main HDD and leave it free to just run the programs rather then trying storing on the Main. And also there is a crash and burn factor so if the Main HDD from usage does die suddenly it won’t take my previous data or files that are stored on the other HDD along with it. This was from experience that keep important data on other HDD reduces the hair loss when the Root C: experiences sudden death burnouts.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2568680]I got 6 HDD one the Main O/S and programs to run and the rest for storage and data so that when I access the other drives I don’t bog down the Main HDD and leave it free to just run the programs rather then trying storing on the Main. And also there is a crash and burn factor so if the Main HDD from usage does die suddenly it won’t take my previous data or files that are stored on the other HDD along with it. This was from experience that keep important data on other HDD reduces the hair loss when the Root C: experiences sudden death burnouts.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies, I didn’t think it would matter, just wanted some confirmation, I do not see a bit of difference