Two Free Programs

Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007

Exclusive Computeractive Download Offer - Expires December 13, 2006

We’re giving you the full commercial version of Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007, a fully featured program for creating audio and data CDs and DVDs.

The first time you run the program, it will prompt you with a series of options about registration. Make sure you select ‘Obtain a FREE full version key’, press OK and follow the prompts. A web browser window will appear. Enter your email address and press Send. Click the link in the email that arrives and fill in your details on the web page. Once that’s done, Ashampoo will send another email with your product key. Check your email for the product key and enter this into the program when prompted.

Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007 - Computeractive

Driver Genius Professional 5.3 - Computeractive

The program couldn’t be much easier to use. It starts by detecting all your third-party drivers (the ones that don’t come with Windows), and displaying them in a tree form. You can then choose which ones to back up (or check your PC name to select everything). Finally, click “Start Backup”, specify a file name, and your chosen drivers will be saved, no further intervention required.

Note: that this download offer will be taken offline on or around the 28th of November 2006.

Driver Genius Professional 5.3 - Computeractive

Thank you for the info Dr. Who.

dont need the apps…but thanks for the info just the same…

I’ll be getting these. Thank you very much for the info - it is apprecaited sincerely.

EDIT - Understand, the Ashampoo thing requires you sign up for their newsletter and do a 2 tier registration. First you give them your email addy, then they email you a link which you must visit and then register to get the free key emailed out to you after that.

Just a heads up.

Yes that is correct. I just used my spamming yahoo account to get the key. :smiley:

I used Hotmail. :slight_smile:

Hey, it’s no biggie - I just wanted to let folks know.

I’m creating an ISO image from a bootable disk right now using the program and will test to see if I can burn that ISO back to a DVD-RW and have it boot up. I’ll test the music stuff, data burning and what not too as time goes on.

Free stuff is always fun to tinker with, and if the app works, I’m all about that.

Thanks again.

Can’t get that Driver one to download at all - keep getting error messages saying it’s not a valid addy.

The burning app did a full-on ISO rip and subsequent burn of that ISO to a new disk with no problems at all. If for no other reason than that, it’s worth the effort, cause it’s FREE!

Yeah, the interface is simple and lacks detailed feedback and control, but hey, sometimes all ya want is something that gets the job done and is easy to use. This fits the bill.

Just to let you know that the Driver Genius Professional is an old version, I am on 6.1. something. Thanks for the heads up, I have not tried Ashampoo, but I am now. Thanks again.

Not to spoil the thread, but there is no mention of Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007 on Ashampoo’s web site. Is this just another name for Burning Studio 6?

The free download version that was posted in the Basement a few weeks ago here - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=198084 - was 5.5.1.

Yeah, I’m not sure what the version is either, or why after you enter your registration key it still has the registration option available. Maybe we can email them and see what up?

Sorry I don’t venture up here to odten. I really don’t know to be honest, email them as BeardedKirklander suggested. :smiley: Free you can’t really complain though?

Well, it does say Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007 version 6.20, but I’m not sure when it says you can upgrade to the successor, so I’m going to email them here in a minute and ask.

I’m guessing that it may be an abbreviated version, similar to how Nero has basic versions of it’s full Nero Burning ROM with their Suites. Edit: On second thought maybe there is no more feature-rich version, as the screenshot on their site for ‘Burning Studio 6’ doesn’t look different. In any case they all appear to be basically a mimick of Nero Suite, which can also be bought for very cheap (I’ve also seen it free at times online, not as a download though).

Please keep us posted too. Thanks

OK. It sounds like they’re just calling the new Burning Studio v6.2 by 2007.

Ashampoo sent me an email about a week ago for an upgrade to v6 for $10. I would have gotten it but Nero and Alcohol are my preferred burning software.

I sent off the email and will post what I get back.

From inside the software, I clicked the link to Upgrade and it took me to a page that said I could upgrade to version 6.3 for $9.99.

In the email, I did ask what the diff between the two versions were. Most sites have a comparison list, but since they did not, I asked them to please clarify. Hopefully they will.

Free software that is useful ROCKS!!!

I prefer the standard File Pane version used by like Roxio 5, Nero 6.x and even Ulead Burn.Now 4. Standard folder tree on the left, detailed file list on the right, project on the bottom. But since this is free, I’m not complaining much.

There still is that AVS Disk Creator 2.1 that is free also:

http://www.avsmedia.com/DiscCreator/index.aspx

Not too bad.

Yeah I also prefer the style of Nero Burning ROM 6.x rather than the simplified versions such as the Suite style of Nero and this Ashampoo program. This Ashampoo program would be something I might suggest to a friend in need of an idiot-resistant burning program, but it isn’t something I see myself using as it’s far too limited. One setting that’s missing is a simple ‘DVD Video’ setting, but then most programs can output to an .ISO or similar image file.

I haven’t tried AVS, not sure I’ve even heard of it or if I had I think I must have thought it was something other than a burning program. I’ll give it a try (edit - just tried it, another good simple program but far too simple for my uses). CDBurnerXP Pro 3 is a decent free program as well once you are familiar with its interface. I wish a free Labelflash program existed.

They do have free LIGHTSCRIBE apps but I have not seen one for Labelflash yet.

I’m just glad we have so many options out there. It’s fun to be able to tinker, and free software is so freakin’ cool.

I wish CDBurnerXP Pro was updated. I’m afraid it may just end up going by the wayside, sadly.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I agree on the Ashampoo thing - it is so freakin’ simple, but some folks need that, and the fact that it can make and burn ISO’s is a selling point, as it were.

Looks like the RETAIL version includes DATA BACKUP & RESTORE and MOVIE BURNING features.

All in all, I think I’m pretty happy. It’s a cool little freebie.