Two error messages

Hi all, I have a friends computer that I’ve spent the last three days getting rid infections and defragging the hdd for the first time in two years of use. I have everything running smoothly now except for two error messages that are appearing on the desktop when starting, these are:

1. This application has failed to start because MFC71.DLL was not found.
    Reinstalling the application may fix this.

2. Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\j0221439.dll

The OS used is XP Home, my question is can I use the repair disc to fix these, and do I have to use the specific disc that came with the computer or can I use mine?

Are alternatives for restoring these?

I will appreciate any help that I can get, I’m so close to having this done.

Googling I found this site

mfc71.dll is a module belonging to an advertising program by WinSoftware. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author’s servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

[B]Note[/B]: mfc71.dll is the module that contains the WinSoftware Foundation Classes (MFC) functions used by applications created in WinSoftware Visual Studio

Determining whether mfc71.dll is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from.

Recommendation for mfc71.dll:
DISABLE AND REMOVE mfc71.dll IMMEDIATELY. This process is most likely an adware or spyware.

I suggest to run a complete antivirus scan and also a scan with a tool like Ad-Aware or Spybot to remove any spyware from your system.

Maybe also a fresh install of windows is a good option :wink:

MFC71.dll is a runtime library for applications developed with Microsoft Visual Studio.

It’s possible that there might be trojans masquerading under the same name, but please don’t jump to conclusions and start removing files just because someone on the Internet thinks it might be a bad file. :wink:

If i read correctly this person needs the files.

DrageMester is right about mfc71.dll it’s used in Microsoft Visual Studio, but I wouldn’t jump to conclusions as he said. As for j0221439.dll couldn’t tell you. The mfc71.dll can be downloaded from here if your sure.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?mfc71

The best solution to this problem would be to do a fresh install, To take care of any doubt.

:cool: :cool:

Hi guys, and thanks for the responses. This computer had been on line for over two years without a fire wall or any AV. I installed and updated AVG, Adaware, Asquared, Ccleaner, and Spybot S&D and have run scans with all, Adaware found 901 items! I’ve lost count but the figure has to be about 2000 items found combined.

As I explained this belongs to a friends teenage daughter, and she would be devastated if I wiped the drive and lost all of her photos and files. I have posted a HJT log at another site and hopefully will be able to get this sorted out, if not I live a mile from a river and may baptize this computer.

Platinumsword…I was sent to that site earlier and with a dialup connection it took thirty minutes to download the scan, and after it was all said and done they took care of a couple items and suggested that I purchase their product to take care of the rest, what a waste of time.

You should backup files and perhaps settings to CDs, DVDs, an external harddrive, or an USB Flash Memory key, before reinstalling Windows - if you choose to go that route (which might be necessary).

Hi DrageMester, with the extent of the infections numbering well into the 2000 figure I wouldn’t want to transfer anything off of that computer to reinstall on another installation. I could do this if I were to scan each file prior to transferring it, but I won’t need to, it looks like I have a handle on it. I was able to reduce the amount of infections that I was finally able to get into safe mode where I could do some serious house cleaning. I also submited a HJT log at a site I frequent and had the first part instigated, I will find out how effective the clean up was.

The second of the two problem that I originally posted here turns out to be a spyware, I still need to find the other file to replace it.

One thing that is curious though is that if I try to open AVG the message “this application has failed to start because MFC71.DLL was not found” appears.

You did not look close enough, you do not have to download a scanner at all. Nor did i suggest that. Click on the link that I provided, then download mfc71.dll and be done. Just have program like Winrar or 7zip to exact.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/download.php?mfc71download0UKhQBdMeT

You are absolutely right, I did over look the download, yesterday was very frustrating and I thought I was repeating steps already taken. I downloaded the file to the computer that needs it along with win zip, how do I transfer it from the win zip to the computer?

Install Winzip, make sure that you uncheck those annoy google addons, if you want to use something that is free and clean use 7-Zip.

Right click on the file and select open with Winzip to extract.

I assume that you have a path of where this file was located.

For me, it’s located C:\program files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE

Good to hear that you took care of your second problem. :slight_smile:

I have no idea where this file was or what it was for. The only thing that I’ve found that has a problem with the missing file is AVG, when I try to run a scan it gives me the message “This application failed to launch because MFC71.DLL was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this problem.”

Have you tried reinstalling AVG? There has to be an association between the two.

My first guess would be to place it in the system32 folder.

or

Try placing the file in AVG’s main file folder.

I had the same thought regarding reinstalling the AVG, it’s worth a try.

I’ll post back and let you know how it works, thanks for your help.

We have a winner! I uninstalled the AVG and started to download it only to see that it was going to take two hours on my dial up connection so I transfered it from my computer to the other via a flash drive. Now all I have to do is a update. :clap: