Two DVDs I Can't Back Up

vbimport

I have successfully backed up dozens of my DVDs using the combination of CloneDVD and AnyDVD. There are two titles, however, for which I get errors. The two movies are Frantic and National Velvet. For each title I was trying to create an ISO of the main movie only.

Below is a picture of the error I get (in this case for Frantic) just after selecting Go:

DVD Movie Details:
Frantic
EAN: 085391178729
Region: 1
NTSC

National Velvet
EAN: 027616661821
NTSC

Software details:
CloneDVD v1.2.8.4
AnyDVD v1.6.1.5

DVD Hardware Details:
DVD reader: Pioneer DVD-106
DVD writer: Sony DRU-500A

Has anyone else encountered this type of error? I’d appreciate any thoughts or insights. Many thanks.

Try AnyDVD 1.6.1.8

dont bother with the newest anydvd it still wont read Bruce lee collectors edition…i got this error before with 2 titles so what i did was use dvd decryptor in file mode to rip the movie to hard drive,then i used dvd2one to compress it then clone dvd to burn the movie and it worked excellent long process but it got around the headache,hope this helps,and yes i do support anydvd but in this case its not capable of reading this disk still??

Thank you both for the replies. MadBob, how in the world did you find this later version of AnyDVD? Thanks for the link. I installed it, rebooted, but still got the same error in CloneDVD. Thanks for your CloneDVD/AnyDVD guide, which I love, and for all you do to reply to people’s questions in the forums.

gexx, I tried to use DVD Decrypter (v3.1.6.0), but both movies seem to put it into an endless loop. (I tried it with AnyDVD turned on and then off.) As DVD Decrypter is processing VTS_01_1.VOB, the following two lines appear repeatedly in the log, seemingly endlessly:
Extracting Sectors…
Authenticating…

Has that ever happened to you in DVD Decrypter?

I am trying DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5, which seems to be able to create the backup files, however.

Thanks for your suggestions.

yes it has turn anydvd totaly off exit the taskbar then go to dycriptor file mode then it should work,did it with bruce lee the same then i did the adjustment and it worked,no extracting and authenticating aerror didnt show up…try it the way i posted and let me know…good luck.

make sure dycriptor file mode…

OK try
AnyDVD 1.6.2.3

1.6.2.3 2003-08-31 added removal of Region Code Scripts (RCE)
if safe mode was disabled, downstream data was processed twice
fixed invisible drive region setting in device manager
fixed false detection of CSS on DVD-RW Media with certain drives
on first install, all drives were disabled
Settings window now opens after any install of a new version
Improved “region free” support for InterVideo WinDVD 5
added Hungarian language
updated Japanese language

Try

http://www.slysoft.com/download/SetupAnyDVD1623.exe

but the TCE error means that the DVD has an error. CloneDVD is more susceptible, than the other rippers, to errors.

gexx: I tried DVD Decrypter as you suggested, and it worked on both titles. Thanks very much. (I actually thought I had tried that already, but I was sloppy. Once CloneDVD had its error, AnyDVD seemed to “freeze.” It still showed in the system notification tray but would not respond to left- or right-clicks. So, I killed the process, and then tried DVD Decrypter. It didn’t work. But, after rebooting, and exiting AnyDVD properly, DVD Decrypter worked on the two titles just fine.

MadBob and FutureProof: I installed AnyDVD 1.6.2.3, rebooted, and tried the two DVD titles again in CloneDVD. I still get the same error. (Incidentally, I did get an email from SlySoft this time about the available update to 1.6.2.3, but I don’t think I got one about the 1.6.1.8 update. Perhaps SlySoft notifies customers about only more substantial updates.)

Thanks, FutureProof, for explaining the TCE error. Do you know whether TCE errors usually are introduced by the customer (e.g., through fingerprints, scratches, etc.) or whether they are more likely a manufacturing or media error?

I did try to clean both DVDs. Some of my DVDs take a lot of abuse, however, because I have young children. I cry when I think of how much money I’ve spent replacing original DVDs, before I could easily back them up.

FutureProof, I’ve learned a lot by reading your responses on these forums. The time you (and many others) take to help people–with no tangible reward–is much appreciated.

Thanks. The TCE error I had was on a new DVD which skipped when I played it. Being of a scientific mind, I used Shrek as a frisbee, coffee coaster and fingerprinter to reproduce the TCE issue. hehe, not even DVD Decrypter got through that one :bigsmile:

Originally posted by andcam
[B]I have successfully backed up dozens of my DVDs using the combination of CloneDVD and AnyDVD. There are two titles, however, for which I get errors. The two movies are Frantic and National Velvet. For each title I was trying to create an ISO of the main movie only.
DVD Movie Details:
Frantic
EAN: 085391178729
NTSC

National Velvet
EAN: 027616661821
NTSC

Software details:
CloneDVD v1.2.8.4
AnyDVD v1.6.1.5

DVD Hardware Details:
DVD reader: Pioneer DVD-106
DVD writer: Sony DRU-500A

Has anyone else encountered this type of error? I’d appreciate any thoughts or insights. Many thanks. [/B]

Hello,

I don’t think I can be of much help at the moment, but there are a few thinks I would like to know:

1.) Did you manage to use AnyDVD on other DVD Titles? (Want to know, if problem is title specific)
2.) Does it work, if you copy all files to harddisk using AnyDVD? (A feature nobody thinks of - you can drag and drop VIDEO_TS using Explorer, want to know, if problem is CloneDVD specific)
Do you get an error message?
3.) Does copying Frantic work, if you use your SONY? (Want to know, if problem is drive specific)
4.) Are your drives locked to a specific region? Do you use Region Free Firmware?

Thank you for your help!

Originally posted by Olli
[B]Hello,

I don’t think I can be of much help at the moment, but there are a few thinks I would like to know:

1.) Did you manage to use AnyDVD on other DVD Titles? (Want to know, if problem is title specific)
2.) Does it work, if you copy all files to harddisk using AnyDVD? (A feature nobody thinks of - you can drag and drop VIDEO_TS using Explorer, want to know, if problem is CloneDVD specific)
Do you get an error message?
3.) Does copying Frantic work, if you use your SONY? (Want to know, if problem is drive specific)
4.) Are your drives locked to a specific region? Do you use Region Free Firmware?

Thank you for your help! [/B]

Olli,

Thank you for your interest and for trying to help. Your set of questions seems to be an excellent way to help isolate the problem. I will try to answer them the best I can.

1.) Yes, I have used the AnyDVD-CloneDVD combination successfully for literally dozens of other backups of my personally-owned DVDs.

2.) Now why didn’t I think of this?! You’re right. I didn’t know you could do it, but feel as though I should have thought of it. With both titles (Frantic and National Velvet) I got an error when I tried to drag and drop using Explorer. Here is the error message:
“Cannot create or replace VIDEO_TS: file system error” followed by a long negative integer in parentheses.
Then I tried the files individually. Not surprisingly, the BUP and IFO files copied just fine. It was the VOBs for which I got the error. Using another title, I did confirm that the drag and drop method worked fine with it.
Since DVD Decrypter can rip the two titles (if AnyDVD is exited), does this result suggest that the problem is with AnyDVD?

3.) No, it doesn’t work on the Sony either. I have now tried both titles on both drives (Sony and Pioneer). Just to test this further, I tried to drag and drop Frantic on one of my other computers, using a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104 (firmware 1.4). I got the same error message.

4.) I think the information below answers your question. If not, just let me know and I will provide more details. I am fairly certain that I am not using region-free firmware on either drive. The information below is reported by DVDInfoPro RC-5 V2.00-RC5.

Sony DVD+/-RW DRU-500A
Firmware Revision: 2.0F
Region Code: 1
Region Control: RPC-2
User Changes Left: 4
Vendor Changes Left: 4

Pioneer DVD-ROM/CD-RW DVD-106
Firmware Revision: 1.22
Region Code: 1
Region Control: RPC-2
User Changes Left: 4
Vendor Changes Left: 4

I doubt if you need any more accolades. Nonetheless, I wanted to tell you that I think CloneDVD is a fantastic product. (I have bought and used “competing products.”) For me, CloneDVD provides the perfect balance of quality, features, flexibility, and simplicity.

Thank you for your excellent suggestions to help me isolate the problem. It seems to me now that the problem is with AnyDVD. Let me know if there is anything else you want me to try or any other information you would like.

Thanks.

Another question:

Do these DVDs show a Label (e.g. “FRANTIC_SIDE_A” or “DVD_VIDEO” ) in Windows Explorer? Or do you see something like “CD Drive (E:)”

Thank you!

[B]Another question:

Do these DVDs show a Label (e.g. “FRANTIC_SIDE_A” or “DVD_VIDEO” ) in Windows Explorer? Or do you see something like “CD Drive (E:)”

Thank you! [/B]

Excellent point. I hadn’t noticed that. With both discs (Frantic and National Velvet), it shows just “DVD Drive ( E: )”.

Just for comparison purposes, I tried several other DVDs (ones that worked with AnyDVD), and the movie titles do appear when I put those discs in the drive.

Thanks very much.

[B]Excellent point. I hadn’t noticed that. With both discs (Frantic and National Velvet), it shows just “DVD Drive ( E: )”.

Just for comparison purposes, I tried several other DVDs (ones that worked with AnyDVD), and the movie titles do appear when I put those discs in the drive.

Thanks very much. [/B]

Okay, mystery almost solved. It is indeed a problem in AnyDVD, it fails on all DVDs, that don’t have a label. I can see the same behaviour on german region 2 versions of “Postman”, “Contact” and “Batman & Robin” (all early Warner Bros. releases).

I am sure, an update will solve this…

[B]Okay, mystery almost solved. It is indeed a problem in AnyDVD, it fails on all DVDs, that don’t have a label. I can see the same behaviour on german region 2 versions of “Postman”, “Contact” and “Batman & Robin” (all early Warner Bros. releases).

I am sure, an update will solve this… [/B]

Very nice job diagnosing the problem. I’m also relieved that you were able to replicate the problem, so it’s not just a problem with my particular hardware/software setup.

I deeply appreciate your help (especially since it wasn’t even a CloneDVD issue).

[B]Very nice job diagnosing the problem. I’m also relieved that you were able to replicate the problem, so it’s not just a problem with my particular hardware/software setup.

I deeply appreciate your help (especially since it wasn’t even a CloneDVD issue). [/B]

You’re welcome! BTW, I believe a new AnyDVD version has been released which seems to address exactly this problem.