Twinpeaks values

vbimport

Hey all. When using the twinpeaks method to copy Unreal 2 and other Securom games…has anyone ever needed to set a twinpeaks value of 1 and then 2, 3, 4, and so on just to try to find a value that works? With my Liteon 52x24x52x I tried 15, 50, and 6 and I still can’t copy this game. I don’t understand what the problem is.

when i first tried it, i left it at its default settings and the end result? it worked :slight_smile:

What drive/s are you using to try to install/play the copy?

Is the copy failing to play after successful installation (either from the original or your copy) or is it merely failing to install?

If trying to run the copy from your writer, was either clonecd’s hide cdr media or alcohol’s ignore media type running when you did so?

I used the default twinpeaks settings and they didn’t work so I don’t know what neonspyder is doing that is making it work. I have tried burning this cd a crapload of different ways. I always get the same result… when I copy the game and try it in my cd rom, it will not install. I get an error. If I install it in my cd writer then I have no problems. If I try to play it in my writer I have no problems. But if I try it in any other drive other than my writer the game will not load. I hear the cd start to spin in the drive, it stops, and then nothing happens. So I don’t know what is going on.

Oh yeah…another thing that I forgot to mention which has been bugging me is that my friend copied Shadow of Destiny using the method that you would use to copy Unreal 2. Shadow of Destiny worked fine. Unreal 2 however has not worked. And I think that Shadow of Destiny is the version of securom right before the version that is on Unreal 2. What could they have done between those versions to make Unreal 2 not work?

Originally posted by omerta
I always get the same result… when I copy the game and try it in my cd rom, it will not install. I get an error. If I install it in my cd writer then I have no problems. If I try to play it in my writer I have no problems. But if I try it in any other drive other than my writer the game will not load. I hear the cd start to spin in the drive, it stops, and then nothing happens. So I don’t know what is going on.

You haven’t read
the sticky, have you? :wink:

You have a copy that installs and runs from one of your devices so what’s the problem?

I read that sticky about a month ago and have been trying to copy this game ever since then and it hasn’t helped. So I don’t know what you’re doing differently than I am. And I want a copy that works in pretty much every drive I try it in because a copy that only works in one drive is kinda useless for me because if I want to copy it for someone else or use it in my other computer then it’s not going to work.

Originally posted by omerta
I read that sticky about a month ago and have been trying to copy this game ever since then and it hasn’t helped. So I don’t know what you’re doing differently than I am. And I want a copy that works in pretty much every drive I try it in.

The sticky was first posted on 21/2/03 and it seems you haven’t read it very carefully.

From that sticky:

Myth: Copies made with this method aren’t any good because they don’t work on all systems and from all drives.

Fact: Whilst twinpeak copies do not work on all systems and on all drives, they do work on most of them. What’s more, so long as it works on your system on any of your drives, you’ve got a working copy and you no longer need to use the original.

and

Myth: If you made a perfect bwa file, your copy will both install and run on any system and from any drive.

Fact: Even blackcheck will tell you that twinpeak copies will not run on all drives, let alone install. Of course, the better the bwa file, the better your chances but, no matter how good the bwa file, the copy may still fail from one or more of your drives. However, this hardly matters so long as it works from one of them.

Fact: No matter how good the twinpeak copy, it won’t be able to be used to install the game from some drives even though it can be used to play. Again, the better the bwa file, the better your chances but even a perfect bwa file doesn’t guarantee success. A twinpeak copy is not a standard cd and many readers will “choke” on the twin sectors when trying to install. As a general rule, the more accurate the reader, the more likely it is to “choke” when reading during the installation process. You will probably have difficulties with installation from the twinpeak copy if you use either a Toshiba or Plextor drive as the reader. On the other hand, Lite-on drives are somewhat more tolerant of twin sectors and you shouldn’t have much difficulty with installation from a Lite-on drive so long as your bwa file didn’t have too many spikes.

and

Q. What should I do if I can run the game from my copy but can’t install it from the copy from any of my drives?

A. There are two straight-forward solutions:

a) Install the game from the original cd on the (rare) occasion that you may need to install (you do own the original don’t you?).

b) Make a further copy of the play cd using any general burning software (e.g. nero) without any special settings and use that copy for installation purposes.