TV tuner card selection?

vbimport

I know this is a CD forum, but does anybody have a suggestion on a good quality tv tuner card that is worth buying. I currently have a ATI tv wonder Pro (i dont like it).

Anybody?

Analog or Digital?

I have the Terratec 400 (analog) and it lasts for my purposes. Good Picture and a remote control.

Analog or digital…what is the difference? I just want good picture quality and be able to record and burn to a dvd for playing in a home dvd player.

Hm, you got the signal of the tv from a cable. And this cable has a Analog or a Digital connection, what means that you only can connect a analog connection to an analog card and a digital connection to a digital card.

Pinnacle.
www.pinnaclesys.com

I use the Hauppauge PVR-250. It has been very reliable and the support is outstanding. Check them out at www.hauppage.com. I am using the Sagetv client to use the card as a pvr for my Directv satellite. Check it out at www.sagetv.com.

[QUOTE=hammer_head]I use the Hauppauge PVR-250. It has been very reliable and the support is outstanding. Check them out at www.hauppage.com. I am using the Sagetv client to use the card as a pvr for my Directv satellite. Check it out at www.sagetv.com.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I believe I am going to order the PVR250. What do you mean you use the Sagetv client?

Thanks for the info. I believe I am going to order the PVR250. What do you mean you use the Sagetv client?[/QUOTE]

If you will use your card to watch and record tv (cable, satellite, air), then sagetv is a very useful tuner interface that provides on screen program listing and allows you to schedule recordings, etc. Think of it as Tivo for your pc.

The pvr 250 comes with another client called Wintv2000 which is similar but not as good as Sagetv for doing this. The tv programing guide is superior in Sagetv I think, so that’s why I use it instead of WinTV that comes with the pvr250.

So can I use the Sagetv client with out buying there product?

You can download a trial of Sagetv here…http://www.sage.tv/download.html then buy it if you like it or you can use the included Wintv 2000 that comes with the hauppage card. So the answer to your question is yes you can get the Sagetv software by itself from them.

I understand you don’t like the TV Wonder Pro, but you really ought to consider the TV Wonder Elite going on sale this quarter. It’s ATI’s newest card with the new 550 chip rather than the 200.

Changes include:

[ul]
[li]HARDWARE MPEG-2 encoder.
[/li][li]Fully digital audio. Only card on the market to NOT require interfacing with your soundcard so you will NEVER have sync problems.
[/li][li]Remote Wonder Plus with extended range. I’d imagine that it’s been changed to better work with Microsoft’s 2005 Media Edition.
[/li][li]Incorporates a 3D comb filter.
[/li][li]Only card to get ISF (Image Sciencing Foundation) certification.
[/li][li]According to one of the main guys in charge of MCE for Microsoft, you can blow the output from the card up to 100" and it’s the best looking NTSC picture you are going to see. He claims it has the best picture of any card tested, and fully MCE 2005 compatible.
[/li][/ul]

I have the WinTV PVR 250 also, along with the Sony DRU 710-A but can’t record shows directly to DVD why?

Dvd’s are designed to be burned at a specific speed, not to sit thier and write a little at a time like a hard drive. Even if you could use packet writing software or something I’m not sure how well it would work. In other words, the dvd-burner would not deal with siting thier for an hour writing a gig or two of data. As long as your card is capable of producing mpeg2 files (which most should be unless it’s really old or something), most programs should be able to readilly use those mpeg2 files to create a dvd. Further, if you want it to play on a standalone player, dvd video file structure is more than just a video file. It has files to tell the player how to play the disk, what files to play in what order, menus etc. Some stand alone players will play mpeg files burned as data so you may be able to just burn the mpeg2 as a data disk but that will not work on all players.

Ripit’s dead on. The pvr250 encodes recorded video as an mpeg2 file. These files need to be converted to dvd formatted files to be burned as a dvd. There are several software encoders out there that do the job. I personally use TMPGEnc DVD author 1.6 from Pegasys, as its gui is very easy to understand and use.
I have also used Nero recode to convert my captures to dvd format, but it seems a little more complex and buggy than TMPGEnc dvd author.

You can check it out here:
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

OK, so if I understand this right, there is no way to use the computer to record TV shows direct to DVD-you must first record it on hard drive or other storage then transfer it to DVD-do I understand correctly now?

That’s correct SilverPony. The TV Tuner card you have (and any other model) can only record to your hard drive in MPEG2 format. Then you need a program (like the ones mentioned above) to re-author those mpeg2 files to DVD files. Finally you can burn those dvd files to a dvd.

There is no way to burn directly to dvd from your tv tuner card. One other step that is sometimes necessary is if the dvd files you create are larger than 4.7gb you will need to shrink them also to fit on a dvd (Unless you are writng to dual layer disc). This can be done with dvd shrink, nero recode, or clonedvd2.

:confused: OK everyone, that did it for me. To hard and or complicated to record TV on the computer-I’m going out and buying a DVD recorder!

NOT TRUE!!! WinDVR and Q-Video, supplied with the BenQ drives, are capable of recording directly to DVD in real time. I’ve been doing it with Hauppauge TV cards for some time. Please research your information prior to posting it as fact.

What I say is the truth. You dont like it? Make up your own /.

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402U.htm

USB2 based for use on multiple machines. hardware encoding to MPG4/2/1 and DiVX.

I wasn’t aware that this was possible either. Is it writing in a propriatary format (possibly packet writing) or is it writing in standard dvd video format that can be played on a standard dvd player?