TV standards, DVD regions, and MPEG-4 files

vbimport

Couple of questions:

1. How are TV standards (PAL, SECAM, NTSC) related to DVD regions?

Is the TV standard somehow encoded onto a DVD or is it the function of a DVD player to output the signal in a specific TV standard?

1. Are TV standards or DVD regions reflected in the MPEG-4 file created from a DVD?

For example, if I have two DVDs with the same movie. One of them is recorded in region 1, and the other one in region 2, will the MPEG-4 file encoded from either of these DVDs be exactly the same or will the regions be also encoded into the MPEG-4 files, making them different from each other?

Thanks

Off-topic (and rather complicated) question, please read the forum rules and post in the appropriate section :cop: Thanks!

Your thread will soon be moved by a moderator.

CHeers :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answer. It was very informative.

LOL :bigsmile: - I was preparing a real and “informative” reply that I would have posted after the thread has been moved, but considering your input, I feel I won’t bother. :rolleyes:

Next time I meet a thread that is ignored by other members because it’s misplaced, I’ll remain silent!

Good luck

1. NTSC/PAL
  2. REGIONS

A little search goes a long way:
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=dvd+regions+pal+ntsc&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=

I’m off :bigsmile:

Thanks for your post. It was very informative. :slight_smile:

Now, when I encoded my first DVD, using Nero Recode, I got three different .mp4 files containing the same movie. The size was different, but very close. Since this DVD had audio tracks in three languages (English, French, Russian), and subtitles in six languages, I suspect that it could play in more than one TV system. So, could it be that the three .mp4 files that Nero Recode created are actually in different TV systems? For example, one is in NTSC, another one is in PAL, and the third one is in SECAM. Is it possible to find out in which TV system an MPEG-4 file is encoded?

Thanks again