TV setup

vbimport

I just posted. Here is my setup.
Antenna to VCR
VCR to RF modulator
DVD player to RF Modulator
RF modulator to TV

Please tell me what I can do to get a picture using VCR and DVD.

Thanks
GB

[quote=gbsk;2164503]I just posted. Here is my setup.
Antenna to VCR
VCR to RF modulator
DVD player to RF Modulator
RF modulator to TV

Please tell me what I can do to get a picture using VCR and DVD.

Thanks
GB[/quote]
Hook the dvd player RCA cables upto the VCR’s RCA input. when you play dvd make sure vcr is turned on and on channel 3 or 2 same as for the TV depending on how old TV is

Thanks for the reply. I just looked at the DVD recorder. There are a set of red, green and blue plugins but the DVD said they are for P1, P2 and Y. There are 2 sets of plugins on the VCR. Like you said: and input and output with both white and yellow connections for jacks. I got the VCR to play a tape but no picture and bad audio. The other set matches the colors going to the RF Modulator from the DVD player. I even put jacks from the P1 and 2 to the VCR. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
GB

You did not say you had a dvd recorder in your original post. Can you tell me the make and model of both the VCR and DVD recorder. This way I can help you better but from what you mentioned it seems you not have it hooked up correctly. Also let me know what type of RF modulator you are using too. I also need you to tell me the make and model of your TV. The reason I ask this is so I know what type of connections are on everything so I can tell you the best possible way for you to hook them up.

Thanks GJ

The TV is a Panasonic CTM 2066S. The RF is a Jenson DVD 647. The DVD is a SD-K 740. The VCR is a Sharp VC-A 564 OU. I hope this will help.

Thanks
GB

[quote=gbsk;2165719]Thanks GJ

The TV is a Panasonic CTM 2066S. The RF is a Jenson DVD 647. The DVD is a SD-K 740. The VCR is a Sharp VC-A 564 OU. I hope this will help.

Thanks
GB[/quote]
OK I will look at this and let you know by late tonight or early tomorrow

I am unable to find anything telling me what connections your TV has. Would you be able to tell me what it has on the back.

[QUOTE=GJ;2164506]Hook the dvd player RCA cables upto the VCR’s RCA input. when you play dvd make sure vcr is turned on and on channel 3 or 2 same as for the TV depending on how old TV is[/QUOTE]
Doing that will usually result in problems, pumping etc. caused by the copyguard as the signal travels thru the VCR.

GJ

The TV has a yellow video, and red and white for audio. Also, antenna coaxial connection.

Thanks
GB

You do not need the RF modulator at all. It is a poor choice when your TV has video inputs, which it appears to have.

The TV has a yellow video, and red and white for audio. Also, antenna coaxial connection.

Look on the back and see if it also has an S-Video port (small round connector).

Either way you can hook the VCR to the antenna[B] in[/B] of the TV, on the VCR set it to either channel 3 or 4 and then put your TV on the same channel to view.

The DVD player will use the video inputs on the TV “yellow video, and red and white for audio” (from your post).

If you have the S-Video port on your TV, use that, it will give you the best picture along with the red and white audio from the DVD to the TV.

This is your DVD players outputs:

[I]Connections

Connector Type:

* 1 x component video output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - rear
* [B]1 x composite video output ( RCA phono ) - rear[/B] (Yellow)
* [B]1 x audio output ( RCA phono x 2 )[/B] (Red and White)
* Digital audio output (coaxial) ( RCA phono )
* Digital audio output (optical) ( TOSLINK )
* [B]1 x S-Video output ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - rear[/B] along with [B]1 x audio output ( RCA phono x 2 )[/B] 

[/I]

To watch the DVD you switch the TV to Video mode.

Thanks MysticEyes

I think I set up the system like you said. I have the antenna coming into the VCR. There is no S-Video port on the TV so I have a coaxial from the VCR to the TV and the 3 jacks from the TV to the DVD. I set the VCR to Channel 3. I also tried ch. 4. Doing this, the picture is not as good on 3 of the 6 channels and one picture is terrible. I also could not get a picture or audio using the VCR. I didnot try the DVD since I presume it also would not work. I had a this setup so it worked when I had it in the other room using the RF Modulator and it worked fine. I should have written down the connections before breaking it down. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
GB

I didnot try the DVD since I presume it also would not work.

Why would I offer other suggestions when you can’t even bother to try the first? Video and audio out of the the DVD player to the same inputs on the TV is the correct way to do it… period.

You don’t need RF modulators for VCRs, they already output RF.

Mystic Eyes’

What didn’t I do that you told me to do? I thought I did it like you told me. Please tell me what I did wrong.

Thanks
GB

PS I did not use the RF Modulator the last time.

GB

Sorry to say but MysticEyes is right you not need the RF modulater if TV has the RCA hook ups. Did you set the TV to Channel 2,3 or 4 like VCR. The TV needs to be on the same channel as the VCR. You can Also check and see if your TV has a TV/video button or INPUT button and press that button to switch between TV and dvd or VCR depending on what one you want to watch.

I have hooked my VCR up to my old antique TV that only had the CATV hook up and also hooked up my DVD player to the VCR using the RCA plugs and was able to use them no problems. Did that for 2 years until the TV died on me

GJ

I looked at all the connections and I hooked them up like you and Mystic Eyes said. I did try the DVD and that seems to work fine except that when I press “stop”, it does not turn off. The only way to stop it is to eject the DVD. The VCR still does not work. I set the TV on 4 and also 2 and 3. Channel 4 is a local station and it is basically unwatchable unless I hook it up different. So I still have the same problem. Thanks for your help anyway.

I also have the VCR on Ch. 3. I also tried the other channels.

I found a setup that works great. Here is the link.

GB

[QUOTE=gbsk;2178989]I found a setup that works great. Here is the link.

GB[/QUOTE]
To run a DVD player through an RF modulator when you have video inputs is far from ‘great’. :rolleyes: