TV Displays Device DVI cannot be used

vbimport

When attempting to record on the DMR-EZ47K from a TWC box 8300HDC this message is displayed on the TV (which is a Sony KDL-52XBR4), Message is in a large yellow display stating “The device DVI Cannot be Used”. But remember I only get this when going through the TWC 8300 box. I have conneted RF cable directly to DVD and it works fine with the exception of not able to record HD and digital programs which must pass through the TWC box. Here are my connections, from TWC box to DVD is S-Video and composite red and white for sound into In1 on DVD, from DVD to TV using HDMI cable. Also fromTWC box to TV is HDMI. I have also used compenent cables from DVD to TV and Composite from DVD to TV, get same message regardless of what type of connections. Have talked to Sony and they claim the problem is not from the TV, which I agree with seeing when I use the RF cable from wall, I don’t get this message display. Have talked to TWC and that is the same as talking to the wall. I’m on my third TWC 8300 HDC box and all were the same. Has anyone else encountered a problem as this?

[QUOTE=MickIL1;2153161]When attempting to record on the DMR-EZ47K from a TWC box 8300HDC this message is displayed on the TV (which is a Sony KDL-52XBR4), Message is in a large yellow display stating “The device DVI Cannot be Used”. But remember I only get this when going through the TWC 8300 box. I have conneted RF cable directly to DVD and it works fine with the exception of not able to record HD and digital programs which must pass through the TWC box. Here are my connections, from TWC box to DVD is S-Video and composite red and white for sound into In1 on DVD, from DVD to TV using HDMI cable. Also fromTWC box to TV is HDMI. I have also used compenent cables from DVD to TV and Composite from DVD to TV, get same message regardless of what type of connections. Have talked to Sony and they claim the problem is not from the TV, which I agree with seeing when I use the RF cable from wall, I don’t get this message display. Have talked to TWC and that is the same as talking to the wall. I’m on my third TWC 8300 HDC box and all were the same. Has anyone else encountered a problem as this?[/QUOTE]

Here is the problem:

You are trying to mix analog and digital connections in your signal path. That S-Video output on your TWC cable box cannot deliver HD or digital signals directly to begin with. In fact, when the digital broadcasts are routed out of your cable box via an S-Video connection, they are automatically downconverted to analog SDTV signals! And if you use HDMI to connect from the DVD recorder to the TV set, the HDMI connection cannot be used at all for digital broadcasts which have already been downconverted to analog to begin with - in fact, that makes the HDMI connection usable only for watching prerecorded DVD videos (the HDMI does not detect a digital broadcast signal at all). To restore viewing from a digital cable box that’s been connected using analog connections, you must also use the analog connections (component, S-Video or composite) to connect the DVD recorder to the TV set. (I see that you also tried this.) If that’s the case, then I also saw that you’re trying to use both digital and analog connections from your TWC cable box to your video devices. Most digital cable boxes I’ve seen cannot output signals in both analog and digital at the same time (which is EXACTLY what your current setup is). To fix this, you must use only the analog S-Video jack, and don’t use HDMI at all from the cable box (most cable boxes automatically disable the HDMI output when an analog output is used). If you want the full HD/digital experience when watching cable programs, then you must disconnect the analog A/V connections from the cable box before you can connect the HDMI connection.

And what makes this situation tough is that there is no current consumer DVD recorder which can record digital broadcasts from a digital cable box directly - the only digital video input on consumer DVD recorders is an IEEE1394 (FireWire) port for use with a camcorder; otherwise, DVD recorders can only record an analog external video source. (Of course DVRs which can record digital cable or satellite broadcasts directly do exist, but such units must be obtained directly from your cable or satellite provider directly, at an additional monthly charge - and then, you may face DRM issues such as the inability to play back your digital broadcast recordings on anything besides the DVR that you made such recordings on without the need for a digital-to-analog step.)

Thanks for the information, will follow your instructions and see what happens.

[QUOTE=MickIL1;2155443]Thanks for the information, will follow your instructions and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

I have just re-read your original post, and found the exact problem: You are trying to run two HDMI-connected devices at the same time. What I said in my previous post may be true, but the number-one problem is that you’re trying to use two HDMI-connected devices on the same TV set at the same time. You can use only one HDMI device at a time, and your TV set apparently auto-selects one HDMI device and disables the other HDMI input. What happened there is that the HDMI connection from the TWC box to the TV set has priority over the HDMI connection from the DVD recorder to the TV set - and when you have both devices turned on during recording, you cannot monitor the output from the DVD recorder (hence the yellow warning message). Thus, as set up, the only way you can watch a DVD through the HDMI out would be to turn off your TWC box.

I have a Sony W4100 ('08 model with 4 HDMI inputs) and I regularly have 3 HDMI devices hooked up and outputting signal. Since I have auto-select enabled when I do something like bringing up the menu on one of my HDMI devices it switches to that input. Then if I wanted to go back to the first input I could manually select it or bring up the menu on the device I want to watch.
Not sure if the OPs ('07 I think) XBR works the same though.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2156055]I have a Sony W4100 ('08 model with 4 HDMI inputs) and I regularly have 3 HDMI devices hooked up and outputting signal. Since I have auto-select enabled when I do something like bringing up the menu on one of my HDMI devices it switches to that input. Then if I wanted to go back to the first input I could manually select it or bring up the menu on the device I want to watch.[/QUOTE]

This could be another possibility with the OP’s set. The HDMI Auto-Detect feature is enabled by default on all Sony (and likely other brands of) TV sets in which the first HDMI device that’s switched on has priority over the other HDMI inputs.

Thanks for your replies, turns out all the information give was just about correct, I followed your directions, and still had same problem. I finially received a reply from someone at TWC that knew what they were talking about. According to them, using the 8300 HDC box in my area, the TV must remain on during the recording and the input set to Video 1 vs. HDMI. I tried that and it worked. Only downside is when I want to record at 3:00 AM I must leave the TV on. You can also disconnect both HDMI cables and have the TV off to record. Don’t know which is more of a pain. Again thanks for the answers.:slight_smile:

Have you experimented with turning off HDMI control? It should be one of your options under your Sonys menus.
I think on mine it’s under something like HDMI setup. If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll try to find out exactly what menu it’s under, although since we have different TVs it’s possible our menus are different.
Having to leave your TV on or disconnect the HDMI cable sounds like a major pain to me. Their must be a way around it.

No I haven’t, must have my head up somewhere, been traveling a lot lately, I just read the book on-line and also on this model you can turn it off. Will try this tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the information, and your right, much easier than keeping the TV on.

Well as it turns out, turning off the HDMI control didn’t work, so I connected Component cables, disconnected the HDMI cable, and it worked great. I can now record directly off the 8300 HDC box without having the TV on. Not knowing if all the TWC area’s work this way, but I do know that TWC does make it very difficult in the Metro Milwaukee area to record off there set top boxes. Thanks for all your help.