TV Controlling Directv DVR Box

vbimport

Hi,

My Directv box has stopped responding to the remote. I have to walk up and place the remote beneath the TV for it to operate. Directv has sent me 3 receivers and 3 remotes and nothing changes. I try explaining to them that the TV is controlling the box, you can see it picking up the signal from the remote, and the box light only blinks in response to the remote if you hold the remote directly in front of it (2-3 inches) . Customer Service either refuses to believe me or don’t know what to do about it except send me more receivers. I have a Phillips 42 inch TV. I have reset everything multiple times and left everything unplugged overnight. Has anyone EVER heard of anything like this? I don’t know what to do and am considering switching to cable if that would help.

Is it connected by HDMI? I know HDMI devices can ‘talk’ to each other.

Yes it is connected by HDMI, I thought it had to be for an HDTV. Would switching to different cabling help perhaps?

Could you explain why you think the TV is controling the remote signal to the Direct TV
receiver ?
I would try some new top quality batteries in the remote control.
Also have Direct send you an RF remote control & receiver that works with one.
Usually this type receiver will also work with an IR remote too.

I have brand new batteries in the remote. If the TV is turned off and I press any button on the remote control, the sensor light on the front of the DirectTv DVR blinks, however as soon as the TV is on, the sensor doesn’t blink and the guide, menu etc. won’t come up. If you stand directly in front of the box(about 2 inches away) and hold the remote underneath the TV you can get it to receive the command and get the guide, menu recording options.

I will ask about the RF option.

Thank You

Is it possible to move the DirectTV receiver further away from the TV temporarily & test to see if that makes it work correctly?

I will try that, Good idea, I’ll let you know if it works.

Thanks!

If you stand directly in front of the box(about 2 inches away) and hold the remote underneath the TV you can get it to receive the command and get the guide, menu recording options.

Aha! I’ve read reports of Flat Panel TVs interfering with remote controls. Apparently, the flicker and light level from the screen overloads the sensor in the IR receiver. Here’s one such mention of it. Possible solution is to move the Satellite box further away, or put a cone (Coffee cup with the bottom out?) around the IR receiver on the box.

That is my problem!! Thank you SO much! I just couldn’t believe no-one on the Internet hadn’t seen this problem before and you found it for me. I so appreciate it.

Liz

I checked the settings on my TV and someone had lowered the contrast to the very lowest level, when I put it back at the half way point the remote again worked with the box!! I cannot believe how a simple thing like that caused so much IR noise that the box couldn’t read the remote.

Your welcome lizzybev ;Glad a simple solution worked.
I guess some TV’s put out light in the same IR spectrum as most remotes.
Apparently the low contrast on your TV puts out a lot of that spectrum.
That was a good catch on your part.
You still might check to see if Direct has a RF remote for your model box.
I liked my remote that did both IR & RF.The problem I had with RF was the neighbor kept changing my channels so I had to remove the antenna.
My sat box is Dish.