TV and Internet Service Providers least liked industries in the US

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: TV and Internet Service Providers least liked industries in the US[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/05/Temken-95x75.jpeg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/tv-internet-service-providers-least-liked-industries-us-79534/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Not a big surprise, have a feeling that Cable/ISP execs are decended from the money changers at the Temple Mount.
At least in the US there is some semblence of competition, in Canada we have but 3 companies, each of which has a monopoly
in their portion of the country. Lawyers and Dentists rank higher than Cable/ISPs in Canada.

That’s not entirely true. The US isn’t much different than Canada. In Canada all the major cities have two options.  Cable and DSL.   Cable from the cablco and DSL from the telco. Western Canada has Shaw and Telus. Central Canada has Bell and Rogers etc…    The US is basically the same.  Cable vs. DSL/Fibre.

It all comes down to how much it costs to lay down all that wire.  It’s very expensive and makes it very difficult for any real competition.

There’s actually many places of the States that are much worse than Canada.  Companies are giving on up on DSL in many areas without rolling out fibre, so people can only get it through their cable provider.

I’m not really sure why you think the US has it better than us. They have the same fundamental issues. Only cable and phone companies have wired infrastructure to sell internet.

We have a duopoly in Canada not a Monopoloy. In every major center in Canada we have Cable Internet and DSL Interent. In the west you have Shaw and Telus. In Ontario you have Bell & Rogers etc…

It’s the same in the States.  It’s mostly because it’s insanely expensive to lay down all that wire.   It makes it very hard for new companies to enter the industry. You need a serisouly large amount of capital to do that.

Sure the US has some areas that are now on fibre, but they also have lot’s of areas where the Phone companies gave on DSL and people can only get Cable internet.   The US doesn’t force the cableco/telco’s to share their lines either (so no TPIA’s).   I’m not sure why you think the US is any better than us. They have the exact same fundamental issue in that only Cable/Phone companies have a wired infrastructure in which to distribute internet.

Where I live, there are only two options for home-based internet: DSL from AT&T, or cable from Time Warner (who is in the midst of a merger with Charter). I have service from DSL Extreme, who is basically reselling AT&T. When i signed up for DSL Extreme (I didn’t know they’d really be selling me AT&T), I was promised a price of $18 per month, which sounds impressive until you realize how slow my connection is. I’ve had them for just over a year, and now I’m paying close to $60 for the same slow speeds. Nowhere on their website did they say they would do something like this. But, when I saw the installation man come up to my house in an AT&T van, wearing an AT&T uniform install an AT&T U-Verse, I immediately saw something like this coming. However, I figured my bill would merely double: I would never have expected the bill would be more than triple. I’m sure as soon as AT&T realizes I’m complaining about them, they’ll add on an extra $10 to my bill without warning.

The annoying thing is, if I lived a few blocks away, I could get cable from Cox. The Cox websites claims to offer service in my city, but not in my area code (I always thought that each city had exactly one area code, but apparently mine has at least two). I’ll bet in that area code AT&T only raises it’s users bills by 200%, and takes its time in doing so. Of course, I’m assuming Time Warner and AT&T are both available there, which may not be the case.

So, what is the US doing about this annoying lack of competition? Currently Time Warner is being acquired by Charter, which means these companies don’t have to compete with eachother. Surely, Charter will start raising it’s rates soon, if they haven’t already. I’m sure their customers can all look forward to massive speed and data caps for home internet in the near future. Then, other providers, such as Cox and AT&T, will say “they’re doing it and making lots of money. Maybe we should do the same, and charge more money while we’re at it. Our customers will love that.”