Turntablism: New course of study for beat juggling and scratching at Berklee

The other day I was listening to commercial free PBS radio and was astounded to hear an interview about this new class. The professor teaching the class is trained in classical guitar and is very much infatuated with this new field. The interview was very cool and he even did some demonstrations. He also said that many of the techniques he learned in classical guitar were applied to turntablism. They are now looking upon this as a new instrument as they did with the electric guitar in the 60’s. I am sure this link is the same guy. Maybe some will get a kick out of this, the professor is having a ball. He played hell getting it added to the curriculum, but now there is a waiting line!!

Once Again, Berklee College Of Music Turns Tables On Music Education

Berklee College of Music is First Music College to Offer Instruction in Turntablism—the Hiphop-spawned Art of “Scratching,” “Cutting” and “Beat Juggling” Vinyl Records to Create Sound That Has Revolutionized Popular Music

Adoption of New Instrument Continues Berklee’s History as Being the First to Teach New Music Forms – First with Jazz in the 1940s and Electric Guitar in the 1960s

BOSTON, February 17, 2004 — Boston’s Berklee College of Music, the world’s pioneering institution for the study of contemporary music, is breaking new ground in music education once again by becoming the first music college in the world to incorporate the study of turntablism into its curriculum.

Here is the link if you are interested in reading more.

Bettter yet, I just found the audio interview from PBS that you can hear on WMP or Real! If you want to hear some cutting, flares and four fingered crabs from the professor and a student from Boulder, Colorado-take 6 minutes and 8 seconds to listen…