Turning off Cortana

vbimport

Ok, first true annoyance in Windows 10. It would NOT turn off Cortana until I logged into my Microsoft Account. Also had to provide location before it would do diddly squat.

PAIN IN THE BUTT.

When I use search on this desktop I’m looking for files and folders, NOT web results

PITB!!!

Dead now. I hate nanny operating systems that know better than you.

Oh and another thing since I’m ranting, the darn thing won’t let me remove certain items in the All Apps list. What’s up with that?

By the way, they are PROGRAMS, but that is another rant.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2757661]Oh and another thing since I’m ranting, the darn thing won’t let me remove certain items in the All Apps list. What’s up with that?

By the way, they are PROGRAMS, but that is another rant.[/QUOTE]

They are applications :stuck_out_tongue: You don’t need to use cortana at all just press the start menu and start typing for what you want and the start menu turns into a search field :wink:

The default was set to search on the web, not locally. One more click to do local. Yes I know about typing in the search field.

I don’t want to use that area to do ANY web searches. Period. It just took a lot of hoop jumping to get rid of it.

And once I did that, I couldn’t log into the computer except with the Microsoft account, which I don’t use if at all possible. Took more hoop jumping to get my local account to work.

And once I did that, I [U]couldn’t log into the computer except with the Microsoft account[/U], which I don’t use if at all possible.

That is something I do not care for, I may not get Windows 10 of that’s what you have to do to use it.
Had the same problem with Windows 8 which is why I stopped using it.

I did find how to use the local account. You just have to look for the user controls in settings.

But everything in the operating system is made and set up in a way to funnel you into using things the way they want. They want you to use Bing, the Windows Store, Cortana and Action Center, and they want to collect information as you do so. Piss on that.

I’ve done a lot of tweaking so far, to turn off the information flow. The controls are there, but privacy is something you set up for yourself, it doesn’t come by default.

Great this makes it sound more and more I won’t use it although I got a copy of Windows 10 pro already… what a drag…

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2757686]The default was set to search on the web, not locally. One more click to do local. Yes I know about typing in the search field.

I don’t want to use that area to do ANY web searches. Period. It just took a lot of hoop jumping to get rid of it.

And once I did that, I couldn’t log into the computer except with the Microsoft account, which I don’t use if at all possible. Took more hoop jumping to get my local account to work.[/QUOTE]
Not talking about the search bar/field. Press the start button then start typing the start menu turns into a search box to search locally

^Ok, that’s one I didn’t know. Thanks.

[QUOTE=slayerking;2757697] Press the start button then start typing the start menu turns into a search box to search locally[/QUOTE]

This is how Windows 7 does this as well.
I haven’t used a newer version of Windows.
I guess W10 still does it this way.

I had issues when upgrading via Windows update but now I have a clean install and it works fine, very stable, the new look will take some getting used to.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2757714]I had issues when upgrading via Windows update but now I have a clean install and it works fine, very stable, the new look will take some getting used to.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I have only used W10 for a couple of days but so far I like it. It is a bit snappier than W7/W8. I think I will get used to the start menu fairly easily too. I like the way apps run now in windows on the desktop. So far I give it a thumbs up. The upgrade went smooth and I opted to do a clean install verses an upgrade. One thing that is driving me nuts is that the vertical/horizontal scroll bars disappear on apps and some programs. This is especially annoying on apps. I also turned off all the feedback/info dumps that MS wants left on. Overall, not bad and it was free! You don’t see a decent OS for free from MS very often … or maybe ever?

Now I am curious to see how well W10 operates on a phone.

[QUOTE=cholla;2757712]This is how Windows 7 does this as well.
I haven’t used a newer version of Windows.
I guess W10 still does it this way.[/QUOTE]

I just never noticed the cursor was already in search line. I always clicked it once with the mouse. :o Oh well, not too late to learn an obvious trick. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2757724]I just never noticed the cursor was already in search line. I always clicked it once with the mouse. :o Oh well, not too late to learn an obvious trick. :D[/QUOTE]If you want the search gone from the taskbar, Right click the task bar go up to search and select “Hidden” from the menu that gets rid of it. When they put that search on there it pissed nearly every insider off and we all asked for it to go but instead of getting rid of it they gave the option to hide it.