Turn printer on and off - R280

Is it best to leave a printer on all the time (to save the ink that is used at startup) or to shut if off? I have the Epson R280.

I print a couple times a week, with downtime in between.

Thanks

I leave my R320 on all the time, we have plenty of R280 users here so you should get a few more answers I am sure.

[QUOTE=motifone;2189739]Is it best to leave a printer on all the time (to save the ink that is used at startup) or to shut if off? I have the Epson R280.

I print a couple times a week, with downtime in between.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have an R260 and I like you only use it a couple days a week.

I have been turning mine off in between uses.It’s been a few years but I remember reading that that is better for the ink jet printers.

I have a laser that I leave on 24/7.

I am not sure about this but I was told that if you leave the Epson Off for awhile the ink drys and they clog, this might not be true, I just bought a new Epson RX680, I will get it in about a week, so I will let you know then. There should be something about that in the manual.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2190989]I am not sure about this but I was told that if you leave the Epson Off for awhile the ink drys and they clog, this might not be true, I just bought a new Epson RX680, I will get it in about a week, so I will let you know then. There should be something about that in the manual.[/QUOTE]

alan1476

I think that was for extended periods, I have had no problems with mine clogging up.

Most of the time I only turn mine on for the weekends and have it off during the rest of the week.

Over all the years I have always left my Computer, printers etc on all the time, right or wrong I have never had any issues with anything doing it this way so I have never given it much thought.

I guess if I have to rationalize it one way or another if it wastes ink starting it up even once a week I will leave it on.

[quote=MegaDETH;2191069]Over all the years I have always left my Computer, printers etc on all the time, right or wrong I have never had any issues with anything doing it this way so I have never given it much thought.

I guess if I have to rationalize it one way or another if it wastes ink starting it up even once a week I will leave it on.[/quote]
My computer is always on, 24/7. It powers down and so does the monitor but as soon as I move the mouse its on.

I’ve had my R320 for 3 or 4 years and have always left it on. I’ve never noticed any abnormal drop in cart levels. I used some head cleaning solvent a month ago or so and cleaned all around the carriage, inside bottom, and where the carriage parks and ya there was some ink but not to the point to where it got saturated from leaking ink carts.

Alan i’ve had a RX680 sitting here since Thanksgiving and haven’t install it yet cause i unclogged the prints heads on my R320 lol Let me know how you like the RX680 when you have yours up and running.

The duplex mode seems like it would be really handy. I’m thinking about a CIS when i finally install it. I disc printer is a must for me and the RX680 looks full featured. (even in the box :bigsmile: :doh:)

I still have 6 sets of carts left for my R320.

Thanks, all. I guess I will just leave the printer on, even though I tend to shut down my computer during the day while away.

Either way, there doesn’t seem to be a “must-do” way of going about it. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

[quote=Bob;2191084]I’ve had my R320 for 3 or 4 years and have always left it on. I’ve never noticed any abnormal drop in cart levels. I used some head cleaning solvent a month ago or so and cleaned all around the carriage, inside bottom, and where the carriage parks and ya there was some ink but not to the point to where it got saturated from leaking ink carts.

Alan i’ve had a RX680 sitting here since Thanksgiving and haven’t install it yet cause i unclogged the prints heads on my R320 lol Let me know how you like the RX680 when you have yours up and running.

The duplex mode seems like it would be really handy. I’m thinking about a CIS when i finally install it. I disc printer is a must for me and the RX680 looks full featured. (even in the box :bigsmile: :doh:)

I still have 6 sets of carts left for my R320.[/quote] Hey BOB, they had a really good deal on the RX680 directly from the Epson site, it was 109.00 with a full set of carts and a USB cable. Shipping was only 9.99 for something that weighs 33lbs. No tax . The replacement ink carts alone are 85.00.

They can give the printer’s away :iagree: ,all there profit is in the ink refills.

That’s why I love the CIS Systems. :bigsmile: :iagree:

$109 doesn’t sound like a bad price, will have to look into that.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2192528]Hey BOB, they had a really good deal on the RX680 directly from the Epson site, it was 109.00 with a full set of carts and a USB cable. Shipping was only 9.99 for something that weighs 33lbs. No tax . The replacement ink carts alone are 85.00.[/QUOTE]You must have missed the RX680 for $79.99 deal http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/epson-r280-29-99-r680-79-99-plus-frt-257587/

Yep, I did but that was a refurb, this is new.:wink: Now that same link, links to the new ones.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2192600]Yep, I did but that was a refurb, this is new.:wink: Now that same link, links to the new ones.[/QUOTE]No they were not refurbs they are brand new Alan. Yep they have always been new ones.

I just got it. Its all hooked up but I have 1 plastic part leftover and I cannot find where it goes LOL. No not the CD-DVD priny tray, its got two little clips on the side and looks as if it cover the upper paper insert, but I cant find where it fits LOL.

:smiley: nice Alan, i have no idea where it might go. I still haven’t cut the tape on mine and opened the box up. Like i said i have a bunch of ink carts for my R320 yet to use up.

Here is a CIS i’ve been looking at. It seems to be a nice and tidy one. No i don’t know these people selling them http://cgi.ebay.com/Cis-ciss-ink-system-for-Epson-R260-R380-Rx580-rx680_W0QQitemZ290281412948QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Toner?hash=item290281412948&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

[quote=Bob;2192720]:smiley: nice Alan, i have no idea where it might go. I still haven’t cut the tape on mine and opened the box up. Like i said i have a bunch of ink carts for my R320 yet to use up.

Here is a CIS i’ve been looking at. It seems to be a nice and tidy one. No i don’t know these people selling them http://cgi.ebay.com/Cis-ciss-ink-system-for-Epson-R260-R380-Rx580-rx680_W0QQitemZ290281412948QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Toner?hash=item290281412948&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50[/quote]
Thanks Bob, this is a flat piece of plastic , its flat and is about 12" long and 5 in" wide and had 2 clips on the side, it seems to be just something that I have no idea where it goes. All else is well, works fine.

The only time my R220 gets turned off is if we have a power outage other than that
it is turned on 24/7 and I’ve never had any problems with it being left on. :disagree: Oh yeah
it will still run a cleaning cycle every once in a while and wast some ink even being left
on 24/7 but not like turning it off and on every day and really wasting ink by having to
recharge/prime the carts everyday or every time you want to use it. :eek:

I just got my rx680, and the extra flat plastic piece perplexed me at first, too. Look on the back of the printer - the duplex unit can come off. If you take off the duplex unit, you will leave a hole in the back of the printer. The flat plastic piece covers up that hole, and snaps into place. So, you can either have the duplex unit in, or have the cover piece in, but not both.