Tubes in a Motherboard

http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q4/021017/index.html Check the tubes out in the motherboard :eek:

Cool, i wonder how long they would last for? and do they make the sound better? i dont think it’s really worth it.

you wont notice much of a difference unless u truly are into hi fi audio i tried out another aopen tube motherboard and the sound was definitly sweeter on my stereo than the usual onboard audio one thing i didnt like though was the fact they used a not too good audio processor on the board (realtek i think?) it would have sounded even better if they had went as far as to integrate a decent audio chipset but i guess that just shows how much of a difference the tubes make when it comes to sound they should last a good long time too bc when i had the aopen board i was trying the tubes stayed very cool to the touch if u need a better idea of the difference they can make go to a store specializing in instruments like mars music see if they will show u the difference between a digi amp and a analog(tube) amp the tube amp will sound much warmer and the sound will be fuller.

i do not think most peope will hear the difference between tubes and modern technology.

you must be a real audiophile

not entirely. i took a friend of mine to mars music to show him what i was talking about only i didnt tell him which amp i was playing what on i just told him the tube amp would sound fuller he picked it out by the third note and this is someone who doesnt listen to music unless its breaking the noise ordinaces

most people wouldnt notice a difference unless they knew therte was supposed to be one to begin with lol but at least true audiophiles can enjoy it

I am an audiophile myself…but i heard tube-less equipment with better sound.
But that is a personal opinion.

Not much space to expand on the mobo.

I gues it is better to buy a smal tube amplifier and connect it to a terratec card or something.
(If you hit the tubes by acceident you can throw away the whole mobo.)

I have seen good sounding amplifier in the Conrad catalogus if you are interested

The idea is nice, but I think that a tube amp combined with a really good soundcard (epensive, I know) will sound much better!

Tubes on a mainboard is freaky and really really nice if you are into casemodding :slight_smile:

The mobo has a AC’97 sound :Z :Z :Z :Z

yeah i thought i had mentioned the onboard sound chip being sub par but it speaks volumes when just uysing tubes with it can make it sound as sweet as it did

Even though the board has AC97 you’re supposed to have the capability to route an add-in sound card through the tube. Imagine tube-quality audio from your SB Live or whatever card you own. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by saturnotaku
Even though the board has AC97 you’re supposed to have the capability to route an add-in sound card through the tube. Imagine tube-quality audio from your SB Live or whatever card you own. :rolleyes:

looking in that perspective it would be ultra cool if there was a Terratec with tubes :).

Thing is you don’t want any quality loss through (pre)processing. The less D/A and A/D conversions you have , the better. In addition tubes will give a warmer ,better sound than normal transistors. But if you only use it to playback mp3’s … i don’t think you really need it :slight_smile:

As I said, it’s nicer for casemodders then for the purpose it was made for… routing audio through your computer to reach tubes… nah that sounds shitty…

i wish someone would make a complelete tube amp that could fit into maybe one or two drive bays and accept an input from the optical output of a sound card. i personaly thing the high end philips cards would be great with this though i know others would prefer it for their creative products