TSSTCorp TS-L632D problems

Trying to burn DVDs, this thing makes nothing but coasters. Here are my system details:

Compaq Presario V6000
Intel 2060 1.6ghz
Windows Vista Premium 32 bit, service pack 1 installed
Drive = TSSTCorp TS-L632D, firmware is version HH16

I’ve used Windows DVD Maker, Windows Movie Maker, Roxio 9, Nero 7 and 9, Ashampoo Burning Studio 7. Media have been memorex dvd+r 16x, Office Depot DVD+r 16x, TDK dvd-r 16x, another one I can’t remember. Burn speed has never been over 8x, usually set at 4x. Drivers are up to date. DMA mode is enabled in the Device Manager. Lower filters have been cleared in the registry (no upper filters).

I don’t get any burn errors and the avi files play fine on my laptop prior to burning. In most dvd players (all other than my Samsung upconvert) the movies are pixelated, freeze up and the disk will stop playing. Any insight or ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated at this point. I don’t know if the drive is going, google says it isn’t a sturdy unit, or if I need to updated the firmware (which I can’t find any manufacturer’s updates).

Hi and Welcome![quote=i gemini;2216255]Trying to burn DVDs, this thing makes nothing but coasters. Here are my system details:
(…)Drive = TSSTCorp TS-L632D, firmware is version HH16

(…) Media have been memorex dvd+r 16x, Office Depot DVD+r 16x, TDK dvd-r 16x, another one I can’t remember.[/quote]Try known quality media: Verbatim.

Burn speed has never been over 8x, usually set at 4x.
The drive supports max 8x speed. Trying something higher that 4x is worth it.
DMA mode is enabled in the Device Manager.
What is the current transfer mode?

I don’t get any burn errors and the avi files play fine on my laptop prior to burning. In most dvd players (all other than my Samsung upconvert) the movies are pixelated, freeze up and the disk will stop playing. Any insight or ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated at this point.
Poor burn quality with the media you are using.

I don’t know if the drive is going, google says it isn’t a sturdy unit, or if I need to updated the firmware (which I can’t find any manufacturer’s updates).
Firmware updates should be available from HP support (if they provide any). You might also clean the lens with a Q-Tip and some Isopropanol. Do not use a “cleaning disc”.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2216388]
The drive supports max 8x speed. Trying something higher that 4x is worth it.[/QUOTE]Tried, the end result was worse not better.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2216388]
Firmware updates should be available from HP support (if they provide any).[/QUOTE]
HP doesn’t have any, but they recommended this:

Will this be ok on my machine?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2216388]
You might also clean the lens with a Q-Tip and some Isopropanol.[/QUOTE]Already did that + cleaned with compressed air.

I’ll get some better media, please give me thoughts on that firmware and thanks for your help.

Hi,[quote=i gemini;2217326]
HP doesn’t have any, but they recommended this:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Others/Dell-Optiplex-740-TSST-TS-L632D-Firmware-02022007.shtml[/quote]:eek: HP support recommend flashing to Dell OEM firmware? :confused: Unbelievable.

Will this be ok on my machine?
You need to crossflash then (see firmware chapter of the FAQ please) which will void any warranty. In that case, you might even take the risk to flash to SN-S082D retail firmware from Samsung. There are two flavours of that firmware, depending on your drive’s configuration. Check the properties of your drive in device manager (Example here first pic): In case it is shown as “device0”, then you need a CSEL=LOW version (i.e. SSxx), otherwise it is CSEL=HIGH (SHxx).
But since I am not absolutely sure, I recommend to do some additional search if somebody was successful with crossflashing a HP 632D to Samsung 082D retail firmware.

Michael

Contacted HP again, the drive needs replacing. Any recommendations? Laptop is a presario V6200. Thanks!

[quote=i gemini;2219003]Contacted HP again, the drive needs replacing. Any recommendations?[/quote]Replacement under warranty?

Laptop is a presario V6200. Thanks!
I’d personally vote for a LG or a “real” Nec. The main problem should be the faceplate, especially if your laptop has a non-standard faceplate.
If the drive still works as reader, you might consider an external drive.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2219498]Replacement under warranty?[/QUOTE]
Out of warranty. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.