TSSTCorp SH-S202G HW problem writing DVD-RAM

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S202G / TS-H652G. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello all.

I’m using a TSSTCorp SH-S202G with firmware version SB00. According to SamsungODD.com, this is the current version (even though models 202H,J,N use SB01 or SB02, and 202J uses SB03).

I use this device to write to DVD-RAM disks (Verbatim “5xDVD-RAM” with pink and purple label) with NTBackup on Win2003 Server.

Here is the problem. I’ll skip over the backup log and show the system error events.

atapi errors with event id 9: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

cdrom erros with event id 11: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom1

I am unable to reformat the DVD-RAM disk used when the backup failed, either on this drive nor on another drive that supports DVD-RAM.

So, I’m at a loss to conclude whether the problem lies with the SH-S202G, the Verbatim disks, or somewhere else. I have not yet looked into whether any drivers available to replace the stock Microsoft driver will fix the problem but I really need some direction at this point before I bark up the wrong tree.

Any advice is much appreciated.

David

Hi,

event log states something like “controller error”. Could you tell us what motherboard you are using? Or in case you are using an add-on controller card, I am interested to know about that also.

Additionally, you might try another IDE cable (must be 80wired version) and see if things improve.

I have not yet looked into whether any drivers available to replace the stock Microsoft driver will fix the problem but I really need some direction at this point before I bark up the wrong tree.
Server 2003 is more related to XP (NT 5.x)? Then you might ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers and grab the latest for XP. Additionally, get latest update from http://www.bha.co.jp/en/download/utilities/dvdram.html With these drivers, UDF file system (which is much more reliable for DVD-RAM than FAT32) is supported.

Note: I am not sure if XP drivers can be installed on server versions of Windows.

But I doubt, this is a driver related problem at the moment.

Michael