TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C won't read CD but does read DVDs

vbimport

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Windows XPsp3 with a TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL452C.
It will play DVDs just fine but will not read any CDs.
I’ve done MrFixIt on Microsoft and that did not help.

Does anybody know the registry values? or how to fix it.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Can you try booting from your XP disc?

You’ll have to change the boot sequence first, to make your DVD drive the first device. You can do this on a one-time basis, which is all you’ll need. On my Dells, I press F12 at the Dell logo screen, to get the boot list (mine are desktops, though).

If it fails to boot from your XP disc, then there’s something wrong hardware-wise - maybe the drive itself or the IDE cable.

If it boots OK, then there’s a Windows/software problem we can help you investigate. :slight_smile:

Also: does it burn CDs?

I don’t have a boot disc. It won’t burn a cd. The only thing it will do is play dvd’s.
I’ve deleted and reinstalled it.
I have flashed the bios and the driver from Dell.
It does’nt have a lower filter. I’ve deleted the upper filter. I’ve reinstalled iTunes.

I was adding some music to my computer when it quit working. So I went to my desktop, eMachine T2862,
( HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B ) and it did the same thing.
And I guess it is just a coincidence that the 10 disc cd changer in my car won’t play or eject the magazine. :frowning:

OK, so if both computers are experiencing the same problem, it’s got to be something common to both - is there any software that the two machines have in common? Itunes, any virtual drive/emulation software (Alcohol, Daemon Tools, PowerISO etc), anything that accesses/affects the CD/DVD drive?

Hi,[QUOTE=nascar_fan;2507863]I don’t have a boot disc.[/quote]:confused: Normally, Dell computers are shipped with a Windows install disc :confused:
Then please ask a friend with good internet connection and a working CD writer to download a Linux Live ISO (like Ubuntu) and burn onto a CD-R. Then you have a boot CD.

I’ve reinstalled iTunes.
It wouldn’t be the first time iTunes would sabotage Windows systems. :eek:

I was adding some music to my computer when it quit working. So I went to my desktop, eMachine T2862,
( HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B ) and it did the same thing.

Are there any error messages?

Please try the boot CD in order to rule out hardware related issues.

Michael