TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M firmware patching

vbimport

Hi!

Notebook Compaq 610 is equipped with TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M.

Firmware version that is shown by Nero InfoTool is 0200.

The latest firmware on www.samsungodd.com for TS-L633M is SC01.

I looked inside the device and saw there Mediatek MT1869LL chip (well, warranty is void now, as you can guess).

I tried to open TS-L633M_SC01.bin with Patch Utility Samsung 3.4.10, but it gives me 1004: Wrong firmware file! message. Though it shows firmware name as “TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-L633M SC01 SC”.

I tried also open TS-L633M_SC01.bin with MediaCodeSpeedEdit.exe
This utility shows Firmware Rev. and Bootcode Rev. both as “TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-L633M BOOT”, as well all media types and speeds are listed and option RPC1 Patch is available.

Now with all data given, i’d like to ask few questions.

Is the firmware version 0200 so called OEM code?
How do you think, will flashing the drive with SC01 firmware make it inoperable (at least as notebook’s drive)?
What means BOOT instead of SC01 SC?
Can support for that drive be added to some of firmware patching utilities named above?

My goal would be flash TS-L633M with RPC1 firmware.
I understand, that damaging drive with flashing changed or not native firmware is all and only my responsibility.
But i would like to know opinions/suggestions of people, who know about drive flashing much more than me.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=br_flash;2503052]Notebook Compaq 610 is equipped with TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M.
Firmware version that is shown by Nero InfoTool is 0200.[/quote]Okay.

The latest firmware on www.samsungodd.com for TS-L633M is SC01.

This is an OEM firmware for Samsung branded computers.

Is the firmware version 0200 so called OEM code?
This is the version of your Compaq OEM firmware.
Have you already checked the firmware chapter of the FAQ?

How do you think, will flashing the drive with SC01 firmware make it inoperable (at least as notebook’s drive)?
What means BOOT instead of SC01 SC?
There is always a risk to kill a drive by crossflashing. Some users even toasted their drives with stock firmware :eek:
“BOOT” is the second entry in MCSE - it’s some kind of boot code. If your drive shows that after a firmware flash, you then know something went wrong, but the drive is still alive so you have another chance to flash the proper firmware.

Can support for that drive be added to some of firmware patching utilities named above?

My goal would be flash TS-L633M with RPC1 firmware.
The Patch Utility supports only a few slim drives - and apart from RPC1 there isn’t much to patch.
If you only want RPC1, then see if you can obtain an original firmware for your drive and patch this with MCSE.

Another thought:
I am aware of a HP firmware 0301for the TS-L633M, so it is somewhat confusing for me that your drive has 0200, since Compaq is just a HP brand :confused:
I will not rule out that there was some change in hardware in the meantime…

Michael

Thank you for quick answer and - oops, my bad! - WININQUIRY shows f/w version = 0200 and OEM code = HM.

I can’t tell that i am a big fond of HP. Drivers for notebook (at least my) subsystems on notebooks model page are far from latest, so had to visit Intel site directly. Where to get f/w for DVD drive i have not too much idea. Maybe will have to annoy their techsupport thru forum.

Thanks once more!

[QUOTE=br_flash;2503072]Thank you for quick answer and - oops, my bad! - WININQUIRY shows f/w version = 0200 and OEM code = HM. [/quote]Okay. Looks good then :slight_smile:

I can’t tell that i am a big fond of HP. Drivers for notebook (at least my) subsystems on notebooks model page are far from latest, so had to visit Intel site directly.
That’s quite normal. All computer manufacturers are the same in this matter.
I have a Dell laptop, and Dell has had a very good firmware support for the drive they slapped into this computer :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=br_flash;2503052]I tried also open TS-L633M_SC01.bin with MediaCodeSpeedEdit.exe
This utility shows Firmware Rev. and Bootcode Rev. both as “TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-L633M BOOT”[/QUOTE]

Media Code Speed Edit V 1.2.0.6
------------------------------------------

Firmware: TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-L633M SC01
Bootcode: TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-L633M BOOT

To ala42:
Yes, thank you, great tool, but at the moment of posting i had previous version.

Ok, task resolved.

Successfully flashed HP OEM TSST TS-L633M with Samsung SC01 f/w, patched to RPC1 using MCSE 1.2.0.6, tsdnwin.exe started with -NOCHECK.

This did not a miracle, and the drive is still slow piece of hardware, but now with RPC1.

My gratitude to all people involved in this adventure.

Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=br_flash;2509075]Ok, task resolved.

Successfully flashed HP OEM TSST TS-L633M with Samsung SC01 f/w, patched to RPC1 using MCSE 1.2.0.6, tsdnwin.exe started with -NOCHECK.

This did not a miracle, and the drive is still slow piece of hardware, but now with RPC1.

My gratitude to all people involved in this adventure.[/QUOTE]

Can you send me a ink to the firmware with instructions?
I also have that same drive by hp l633m and want to make it rpc1 and don,t know how.
Please help me [EMAIL=removed]

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=fastmix;2511714]Can you send me a ink to the firmware with instructions?
I also have that same drive by hp l633m and want to make it rpc1 and don,t know how.[/QUOTE]You may please have a look at the FAQ (see my signature). Also, please be aware that you will void any warranty (perhaps even of your entire laptop) when flashing a different firmware onto your drive.

Michael

Hi,

I have an HP probook 4710s with a TSSTcorp TS-L633M drive in it. The f/w version is also 0200 and the OEM code is HM.

The problem I’m having is that I can’t burn +R or DL DVDs.
Everything burns fine with -R

I wanted to update the firmware to see if that would help but I can’t find it anywhere. The only thing I found was on the Samsung odd pages but the f/w versions are not the same (TS-L633M_SC01 and TS-L633M_SC00) and as it was already explained I get the message “Can’t find suitable drive for f/w”.

Could somebody please explain what should I do. where can I find the firmware I need or if that isn’t possible, would flashing the drive with SC01 firmware do the trick? Also, how do I do that, because it’s in a .exe file not a .bin file ?

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=vandelfi;2546943]
I have an HP probook 4710s with a TSSTcorp TS-L633M drive in it. The f/w version is also 0200 and the OEM code is HM.

The problem I’m having is that I can’t burn +R or DL DVDs.
Everything burns fine with -R[/quote]Is that laptop still covered by warranty? If so, then contact HP support for advice. Unless something is messed up hardware or software wise, this drive MUST work with +R and DL stuff.
You can easily rule out software issues by either running a live Linux from an USB stick or restoring the factory preinstallation.

I wanted to update the firmware to see if that would help
This is most likely not a firmware related issue.
Either you have some strange software installed on your computer (some drive emulators behave like that depending on the settings), or your blank media is not good enough. Unfortunately, you did not provide additional details.

Could somebody please explain what should I do.
See above. Check what software (especially related to optical drives, copy protection etc) is installed and either get rid of it or adjust the settings properly. Especially I am thinking of Alcohol or Daemon Tools.

where can I find the firmware I need
HP support is the source for firmware updates of your drive.

or if that isn’t possible, would flashing the drive with SC01 firmware do the trick?
Unlikely, but I might be wrong. At least you will void your warranty doing so.
Also, how do I do that, because it’s in a .exe file not a .bin file ?
You may have a deeper look into the FAQ (see my signature), please.

Michael

First of all, thanks for the help and advice.

Hi and Welcome!Is that laptop still covered by warranty?
No, the warranty is void.

If so, then contact HP support for advice.
I did, they won’t help. I tried the live chat on HP support and they wouldn’t help unless I pay 39 $ and they just gave me a bunch of links for self help.
Then I called the HP support in Croatia and they said that they can’t give advice and that I should call one of their authorized service centers and they just kept bouncing me back and forth without giving any concrete answers. One of the guys said that it might be a hardware issue and that the laser is tosted and that it can’t get enough current to burn DL and +R

Unless something is messed up hardware or software wise, this drive MUST work with +R and DL stuff.
You can easily rule out software issues by either running a live Linux from an USB stick or restoring the factory preinstallation.
Can you please explain what do I do when I run live linux from a USB stick to rule out the software issues. Do I just try to burn something or what?

Either you have some strange software installed on your computer (some drive emulators behave like that depending on the settings), or your blank media is not good enough. Unfortunately, you did not provide additional details.
My hard drive failed and I placed a new one with Win 7 64-bit
and just installed Nero light. There is no other drive related software on the laptop. Also, this problem was happening before with the old hard drive in. The same problem both with Nero and with Clone CD and Clone DVD

See above. Check what software (especially related to optical drives, copy protection etc) is installed and either get rid of it or adjust the settings properly. Especially I am thinking of Alcohol or Daemon Tools. No alcohol and no daemon tools

HP support is the source for firmware updates of your drive.
There is no firmware for my laptop on HP drivers and software page. At least not for this model (pro book 4710s).
I thought that the f/w was the problem and the first thing I tried is to find the right f/w on HP pages. But there is nothing there and the samsung f/w is a different version. And I don’t know how to flash it with the SC01 version from samsung.

Unlikely, but I might be wrong. At least you will void your warranty doing so. As I said, already void.

I did. And I tried extracting it to a .bin file and opening with both sfdnwin and Tsdnwin. It won’t work.

It would be great if you could explain a bit more how to flash it with samsung f/w (the SC01 version) and how to rule out the software issues by running linux.

Hi,[QUOTE=vandelfi;2547299]
Hi and Welcome!Is that laptop still covered by warranty?
No, the warranty is void.
[/quote]Okay, then there is nothing to lose :bigsmile:

Can you please explain what do I do when I run live linux from a USB stick to rule out the software issues. Do I just try to burn something or what?

Exactly. Ubuntu for example comes with the Brasero CD/DVD burning application.

Either you have some strange software installed on your computer (…)
My hard drive failed and I placed a new one with Win 7 64-bit and just installed Nero light. (…)
A software issue might be unlikely then. Could you please post the error messages you got (preferably the part of the logfile of your burning application), and also tell us more about the blank media you are using?

I did. And I tried extracting it to a .bin file and opening with both sfdnwin and Tsdnwin. [COLOR=Red]It won’t work.

What exactly did not work?

It would be great if you could explain a bit more how to flash it with samsung f/w (the SC01 version)
All information needed is given in the FAQ.
and how to rule out the software issues by running linux.

As mentioned above: simply burn something - if it works, then there is something wrong with your Windows or software installation. If not, then we have to assume the hardware is faulty.

Michael

Here is the solution for updating TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M ATA DEVICE

INTRODUCTARY MATERIALS:

1. The TS-L633M ATA device stands for Toshiba/Samsug L63M ATA Device.

2. There is an unpdate for the TS-L633M from Samsung but it only has version SC01, which WILL NOT UPDATE
    the HP version of TS-L633M because the HP version is 0301 with an OEM Code of HM.

3. However, Samsung has rebranded TS-L633M with a new ATA Device Driver that is called SN-S083M and has an update driver SC02.

4. The way that you update TS-L633M Code Version 0301 with OEM Code HM with the new Samsung
    SN-S083M Code Version SC02 is to patch the file and flash the HP TS-L633M with the patched file.

INSTRUCTIONS:

IMPORTANT ----- THIS ONLY PERTAINS to those who have the HP TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M ATA Device - Check the Device Manager to make
sure you have this Model Number Device Driver before proceding - YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Only proceed if your product is not in warranty and
do not desire to pay for another DVD drive.

Step 1. Go to the following link and download the firmware SN-S083M Global Distribution SB02:
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/fwdownload.asp?functionvalue=view&no=606&parent_idx=&level_idx=&model=SN-S083M&product=SDW

Step 2. Download the Samsung stand alone flasher: http://www.samsungodd.com/KorLib/File/tsdnwin.exe

Step 3: Download and unzip ala42’s MCSE http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/MediaCodeSpeedEdit.zip
Source of Download: http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/

Step 4. If you do not have an UNZIP utility, download and install 7zip from the following link: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Step 4. Extract the SN-S083M_SB02.bin firmware file from the Samsung flasher SN-S083M Global Distribution SB02
that you downloaded by using WinRar/WinZip.
(Right click on SN-S083M_SB02.exe and choose WINRAR > EXTRACT HERE or 7zip > EXTRACT HERE)

Step 5. Create a folder and name it FLASH and place the following in the folder.

A. SN-S083M_SB02.bin that you extracted

B. Samsung stand alone flash utility.

C. Ala42 MCSE that you downloaded and extracted from the zip file.

Step 6. After placing all three objects in step 5 into the folder named FLASH, place the folder FLASH and all its contents in C-Drive.

Step 7. After placing the folder FLASH in C-Drive, open the folder and RIGHT CLICK on ALA42 MediaCodeSpeedEdit.exe and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Step 8. When ALA42 MediaCodeSpeedEdit.exe opens, click on the LOAD button and navigate to the FLASH folder in C-Drive and load the file
SN-S083M_SB02.bin - When the file it loaded it will show all its regions.

Step 9. When the SN-S083M_SB02.bin file is fully loaded, place a CHECK MARK by the RPC1 box at the lower right hand corner of ALA42 MCSE.

Step 10. After putting a check mark by the box RPC1 in ALA42 MCSE, click the SAVE button on the upper right hand corner and save the file in the FLASH
folder as SN-S083M_SB02_speedpatched.bin.

Step 11. Now go to START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > COMMAND PROMPT and right click on the Command Prompt and chose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR to
open Command Prompt in Adminstrator Role.

Step 12. Once the command prompt opens, type the following: cd C:\FLASH and hit the ENTER BUTTOn.

Step 13. After hitting the enter button, the command prompt should read FLASH.

Step 14. At the FLASH Command Prompt, type the following without the the quotes “tsdnwin -nocheck” and hit the Enter Button to open the
Samsung Stand Alone Flasher.

Step 15. When the Samsung Stand Alone Flasher opens, click on the on the SEARCH Button and navigate to the
file “SN-S083M_SB02_speedpatched.bin” to load it in the Samsung Flash Utility.

Step 16. The “SN-S083M_SB02_speedpatched.bin” file will load and then click DOWNLOAD to begin to flash your TS-L633M ATA Device.

Wait until the flash is complete and when it finishes, it will ask you to reboot the computer and you must reboot.

When you rebott and are back at your desktop, Windows will recognize the drivers for your TS-L633M ATA Device and install
         the new drivers SN-S083M_SB02.

When it finishes installing your drivers, reboot the computer one more time and then you are done.

NOW ENJOY your updated CD/DVDRW Drive.

It is not necessary to run MCSE as administrator.

I am not sure but I did it anyway just to cover my basis.