TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS L632D issue playing video dvds

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung TS-L632D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi
I was wondering if any of you were able to shed any light on a problem im having with my dvd drive

Ive had several problems with it in the past, often fails to burn successfuly and used to be really slow, also on occasion its just not in my computer and i have to reset a few times for my laptop to actually pick it up. On one of these occassions i had 2 virtual drives running and it has now renamed itself to g:/ (i dont know if this has anything to do with my new problem, but i figured it may be relevant)

Now my drive is unable to play actual video dvds. by this i mean movie dvds that ive bought. it can still read data dvds and cds fine. ive attempted to research this problem but havent really come up with anything. ive read that often when a drive can no longer read dvds it is because one of the lasers isnt working properly, but mine can still read data dvds not im not sure if this is really applicable

any help would be much appreciated
thanks in advance

Hi and Welcome!

the inability to play video DVD looks like a software related issue since you can read plain data discs.
Please try the free VLC player and see if that works for you.

Michael

thanks for the reply. sorry i dont think i made myself clear, it cannot read movie dvds at all. when i put the dvd in it spins as per usual but then tells me to insert a disc.

I did try vlc however and it was unable to play and gave this error:

main error: no access module matched "dvd"
main error: open of `dvd://G:’ failed: could not create access: no access module matched “dvd”

[quote=Morth;2177682]thanks for the reply. sorry i dont think i made myself clear, it cannot read movie dvds at all. when i put the dvd in it spins as per usual but then tells me to insert a disc.[/quote]But a data DVD (like a Linux DVD or just data backups) works without problems?

I did try vlc however and it was unable to play and gave this error:

main error: no access module matched "dvd"
I am out of ideas at the moment. I guess, reinstalling Windows is not an option for you :wink:

Michael

Hi,

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have the exact same problem. It’s really strange because I can read DVD’s and CD,s but not video DVD’s. I have updated the firmware, the BIOS and even reinstalled windows, but it still doesn’t work. Morth, where you able to solve the problem? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Hi and Welcome!

if you can read Data DVDs, then there is nothing wrong with your drive hardware.
My crystal ball thinks, you have messed up your Windows installation with codec packs or similar. Try VLC.

Michael