TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D burning VERY slow

My burner is an 8x burner and its burning at less than 1x, how can i fix this, the computer that i used doesnt have internet. so i cant update it, however its less than 6 mos. old

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Check if DMA is enabled

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

yes it is enabled…should i change it to PIO?

No. DMA it’s indispensable to burn DVDs.

What discs are you trying to burn? If you burn discs that are not supported by the firmware, the burner will write @ low speed.

Be sure that DMA is really enabled. Even if you have DMA [U]selected[/U], see in “current mode” if DMA is really [U]enabled[/U].

the Primary IDE channel says it is in DMA transfer mode, but the secondary one says its in PIO…this whole thing has only started recently, the last week or so,
ive burnt discs b4 and had no problem, the only thing ive done differently to the computer in the last 3 months is put microsost Flight sim X on there.

Can you change setting from PIO to DMA?

Try to delete the secondary IDE channel from device manager and do a restart: in this way windows will detect again the IDE channel and it will reinstall the driver. Often this solve the problem.

omg that worked…thank you sooo much. awsome…maybe you can help with another problem on the computer im on…the explorer.exe will sometimes run at 100cpu’s and if im not connected to the internet, it doesnt do that, how can i stop that?

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

To be sure that there is nothing wrong, can you make a complete scan of your system with an updated antivirus?

i have, several times.

ive noticed b4 that fixing the exploere.exe problem seems like a vigorous process, but just seeing if maybe there was an easier way

The “explorer.exe” is not the Internet Explorer.

I found here this information:

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By removing this process the graphical interface for Windows will disappear. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Sometimes it can happen that if the preview is enabled, and you click on a file that explorer have difficulty to show the anteprime (for example an AVI video and you miss the right codec to visualize it), this can cause CPU go at 100%.

Have you noted something specific that cause this problem? Do it occur randomly?

i know what explere.exe is…that its not ie.

ya it just does it randomly. however around the same time this started happening, i kept getting (and still do get) popups from ‘winfixer’ and i cannot get rid of it. not sure if uve heard of it

Have you installed a trial version of some software?

Try to run a scan with Lavasoft Ad-aware or Spybot Search&destroy (both free). It could be a spyware instead of a virus.

Ugh. My neighbour had a heck of a time getting Winfixer off his PC. :frowning:

This page might help (manual removal instructions). I must add here that I never used any procedure listed on the page…so proceed with caution. If you’re not sure, a reformat may be the only way to get rid of WinFixer.

An online scan with either BitDefender or TrendMicro might also do the trick.

I have problems with TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D (The same).
Dvd’s take a hour to burn and the drive reads slow from the dvd. HELP! This started a while ago.

Forget it. Nothing now, secondary channel was Pio. I uninstalled it and now it works like a charm.After restart i mean.

Very intersting… I have similar issue and For Primary and secondary both are set to “DMA if available” but it’s still very slow.

The only thing noticed that there are two entries each for Primary and secondary, can thi sbe an issue?

thanks

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=vgkool;2279336]Very intersting… I have similar issue and For Primary and secondary both are set to “DMA if available” but it’s still very slow.[/quote]What is the current transfer mode? It should be UDMA 2 for your drive.

The only thing noticed that there are two entries each for Primary and secondary, can thi sbe an issue?
No, this is not an issue. Seems as if you have at least two controllers (perhaps one Sata controller in IDE mode plus a Pata controller) onboard.

Michael

Thanks Michael

Yes the transfer mode for both primary and secondary is UDMA 2. Also I tried deleting entries and restarting windows.

looks like I will need to change the drive.

Thanks

vgkool

[QUOTE=vgkool;2279834]Thanks Michael

Yes the transfer mode for both primary and secondary is UDMA 2.[/quote]For both? Unless you have two optical drives installed, or you have a very old computer, there might be a problem. I expect your HDD running at UDMA 5 at least.

looks like I will need to change the drive.
Please check the cables at first. At least the HDD should be connected using an 80conductor cable.

In case you are running Windows 2000 or newer, you may check the event log if there are disc or controller related errors shown.

Michael