OS: Windows XP Media Edition, Version 2002, SP3.
The drive is able to read and write CDs fine. However when I insert a commercial DVD game into the drive it is unable to read the disc. As far as it is concerned there is no disc in the drive. If I click on the drive under My Computer it tells me to insert a disc, even though there is one. Originally I thought the problem was that the game I was using was dirty and damaged, because it was but I encountered the same problem with a brand new and completely undamaged disc. This same disc also works perfectly in another computer’s DVD drive, just to rule out the extremely unlikely chance that the game was shipped non functional. I do not have any DVD movies or writable DVD media to test it with. The drive itself has worked before, and it is difficult to say when it stopped working as the only DVD I tried it with, prior to two days ago was rather messed up, so the problems I was having reading it could have just been from that. In addition, while the drive reads as a DVD-RW in My Computer, if I right click it and hit properties it displays as Type: CD Drive under the General tab. It also sometimes, after the computer has been on a little while displays as a CD-ROM drive instead of a DVD-RW in My Computer. Restarting fixes this problem, but the drive still refuses to recognize DVDs.
Steps I have tried to attempt to fix this, with no success:
Delete drive in device manager, reboot computer. Well I’m able to do all of this, and it redetects the drive upon restart, but the drive still does not read.
Download firmware for my drive and follow the instructions for flashing it. It was able to install successfully, but the drive still has the same problem.
Downloaded and ran http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems from Microsoft. It was able to find a problem, but did not tell me what that problem was and was not able to fix it.
Downloaded and ran an Autorun fix from Microsoft called Autofix.exe. It did not make any difference.
In addition I noticed something odd in device manager.
Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers it seems as if there are too many entries. I don’t have enough technical expertise to know if there actually is something wrong here or not, but there are a total of nine entries here:
ATI IDE Controller.
Primary IDE Channel (listed 3 times).
Secondary IDE Channel (listed 3 times).
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (listed 2 times).
My computer is an eMachines, T6520. It is stock standard except for the hard drive, which went out a few months ago and had to be replaced. I am certain this is not the problem as the DVD drive has worked many times since then on DVDs.
My best guess as to what is going on is that the problem is directly related to it erroneously displaying as a CD drive under My Computer > right click > Properties > General tab. But I don’t have the slightest idea how to fix it.