TSST TS-L633A Cannot burn CMC MAG M01

vbimport

Hello Pals, :stuck_out_tongue:

I am using the TSST TS-L633A which is the built-in drive of my laptop ACER Aspire 4530, and I have a cakebox of Philips DVD+R 16X, media code CMC MAG M01.

My problem is my burner cannot write any bit of data on my disc.

I had been using the NTI Media Maker 8 (a usable bundle app. from my laptop) to burn Verbatim UME02 and TDK TDK-003, before I came to study in China, and they were all pretty well burnt.

Yesterday, I used up my DVD stock and since I am not sure about the Mitsubishi and Verbatim here (which is labeled “Made in China”), so I bought this cakebox with a certificate sticker from Philips instead. And that was when my nightmare began.

Disc after disc, the NTI show me a message box that the files are burn completely, I can see the writing track on the disc surface. But when I insert it to my drive, the Vista’s windows explorer show me a blank disc instead.

I thought that it might be a software error. So I have tried the Ashampoo 8 and Nero 9 but all are the same. :sad:

I have spend my free time today to find a new firmware. But the one I got from Samsung appears not to support my ACER’s OEM drive.

Could any of you give me an idea how to get it work?

Or who should I complain this matter to? Samsung? Acer? Toshiba? so that they will give me a practical firmware. :frowning:

Tomorrow, I think I will try to use my little language skill to ask the seller for the replacement disc, as if it is possible…:sad:

First, a word of warning: It’s highly improbable that genuine Verbatim UME02 exists. What you have is most likely media branded as Verbatim, but not produced/endorsed by MKM/MCC [the “main people” that own Verbatim]; you essentially have fake Verbatim. I wouldn’t trust it too much, as UME02 media is usually of a pretty low quality. Any media made in China for the Verbatim brand [as far as DVDs] should be made only by CMC Magnetics for Verbatim using Verbatim’s technology and with the standard Verbatim/MCC media codes. If MKM/MCC did decide to get UME02 discs, this would be the first we’ve ever heard of it.

The same can be said of the Philips-branded CMC MAG M01. It is not always written well in normal desktop drives, and there appear to be more poor quality batches of this media than there are GOOD batches of CMC MAG M01.

The only thing I can suggest is writing at a slower speed and getting some “better” media. Is there anything other than the TDK, the Verbatim, or the Philips? Or maybe you have access to Philips DVD-R instead of the DVD+R?

Also, another tip: double check your TDK 003 discs frequently. Some users have had issues with this media degrading at a fairly rapid rate with no hope of data recovery.

Many many thanks to you, Albert :bow:

It is such a surprise for me to know that I have been using a fake Verbatim :sad: I got that Verbatim from an IT store in Hongkong before coming here, to Guangzhou.

And right now I am in Guangzhou facing a bunch of unusable Philips DVD :frowning:

Even worst, the TDK bought from my home country (Thailand), which I always trust in it quality, appears to be of none durable ones… :frowning:

What else could I expect from tomorrow? Another Mitsubishi with fake MCC media code? Aghhh!! my life is despaired :sad:

(sorry for being a bit out of control :p)

:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Back to topic;

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I have tried different speed already with both NTI and Asshampoo but ,still ,not even a bit is recorded. Then I moved to my friend laptop, the HP pavy with LG burner; and you know what?, it is burnt successfully!

My TSST drive can read the disc perfectly. There is not a bad sector from surface scan. :eek: Which means this Philips cannot be used with my poor OEM drive…

Well… I think I will carry my laptop to the store and let the shopkeeper prove it himself that these discs are not work at all. And I may have to ask for a sample disc to check the media code of the replacement before I leave. If they can give me a replacement.

Mann… everything is made in China… but why it is so difficult find a “real” quality one here. …

Hi and Welcome![quote=Nathan.c.18;2155706]
I have spend my free time today to find a new firmware. But the one I got from Samsung appears not to support my ACER’s OEM drive.

Could any of you give me an idea how to get it work? [/quote]Just read the firmware chapter of the FAQ, and especially the crossflashing part. You’ll void your warranty and there is always a chance to kill the drive.

Or who should I complain this matter to? Samsung? Acer? Toshiba? so that they will give me a practical firmware. :frowning:
Acer. They are the only ones who can provide support for your drive.

Another option would be an external half-height drive. The media support is often much better than with slim drives, and especially very new models as yours.

[quote=Albert;2155713]First, a word of warning: It’s highly improbable that genuine Verbatim UME02 exists.[/quote]What about their Pearl White series? Non-MCC MIDs from different manufacturers, just like TDK, Philips and all the other brands.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2155934]What about their Pearl White series? Non-MCC MIDs from different manufacturers, just like TDK, Philips and all the other brands.

Michael[/QUOTE]
I forgot about the Pearl White series. If that media [the UME02] is part of the series, then I apologize for believing that it’s highly improbable.

I still don’t like UME02 media much, though. This thought is not from personal experience, but I still believe it to be quite low quality.

Now, it could very well be the case that you have a good batch. Just make sure you check the discs fairly frequently, like once a month, and treat the discs well, and you could find that they last a while. :slight_smile:

Hello Pals

Thanks for all of your comments. I gladly appreciate all of yours.

And a special thank to you, Albert. I had found some TDK discs that were almost unreadable last night. They took me about 15-30 minute to transfer the last hundreds MB to my HDD. And some were already unreadable at all (what a waste :()

An update my case with the Philips disc.

After a long embarrassing talk (imagine a Chinese woman who cannot understand any other languages than her homeland’s and me, a Thai who know very few Chinese vocabulary, :o trying to communicate with each other by body language, picture drawing and all possible means…), it appears that the shopkeeper allowed me to get a replacement if I am willing to pay more for the difference in prices.

So, today, I return to my dorm with a “little more expensive than market price” Mitsubishi cakebox of DVD+R 16X, MC004, which claims to be made in Taiwan.

And thank for your suggestion too, Michael. I will buy an external burner very soon after I can prove that the Mitsu I got is not another fake one :smiley: ( It would be great, if any of you can recommend me some good models)

Anyway thank you a lot to all of you. :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile: