TSST TS-L623M HP OEM Not Writing

as title says i have a TSST TS-L632M HP OEM in my dv6600 laptop. I searched and searched and can not find my exact problem. when i use nero or imgburn to burn a dvd or cd the programs go through all the steps, i can hear the dvd drive spin fast, light blinking, and program always says its finish and successful. But when i take the disc out NOTHING has been written. pop it back into the laptop and it is empty!!! the drive can read perfectly… i tried upgrading firmware to sc03 but no success, exact same thing. plz help or tell me dat my drive is done so i can buy a new one.

thanx in advance.

btw great forum very informative. i learned how to flash, force flash and found out wat i can corssflash with all on this forum.

Hi and Welcome!

this could be a media issue as well. Could you please report the MID? It is shown by ImgBurn, you may also use DVD Identifier for that.

To rule out Windows related issues, I personally use Siduxrunning off a bootable USB stick. So I can do a complete test drive avan on laptops.

Michael

thanx for the response and what does sidux do?

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632M SC03 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,298,496
Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: RITEKF1

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Performance (Write Speeds):
Descriptor 1…
-> B0: 0x00, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> EL: 2297887 (0x0023101F)
-> RS: 11,080 KB/s (8x) - WS: 2,770 KB/s (2x)
Descriptor 2…
-> B0: 0x00, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> RS: 11,080 KB/s (8x) - WS: 5,540 KB/s (4x)
Descriptor 3…
-> B0: 0x08, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> RS: 11,080 KB/s (8x) - WS: 8,310 KB/s (6x)
Descriptor 4…
-> B0: 0x08, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> RS: 11,080 KB/s (8x) - WS: 11,080 KB/s (8x)

anyone? should i just buy a new drive?

[QUOTE=wrxagon;2308464]thanx for the response and what does sidux do?
[/QUOTE]Okay, you are interested :bigsmile:
Sidux is one of many Linux distributions. The discs can be used for installation on the HDD or as Live System running entirely off the CD or DVD. It also has a built-in tool to create a bootable USB stick.
Why is such good for troubleshooting? Well, it comes with K3B, a CD/DVD burning application with graphical user interface. So if there is the same problem as under Windows, then there is most likely a hardware problem.

You need:

• sufficient internet connection to download the CD image
  • a working CD writer (or a friend that can help)
  • an USB stick with at least 1 GB capacity. Note, all data will be erased in the later process.

Todo:
Download the Sidux CD image and burn it to a CD-R (use ImgBurn under Windows). Then boot from the CD. Insert the USB stick and let it recognise. Now browse through the start menu in order to find the “install to USB drive” thingy, run it and follow the instructions given.

You can then shutdown, remove the CD and reboot. Invoke the boot menu of your laptop in order to let it boot from the USB device then. Now you can run K3b and attempt burning a disc.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2308956]Okay, you are interested :bigsmile:
Sidux is one of many Linux distributions. The discs can be used for installation on the HDD or as Live System running entirely off the CD or DVD. It also has a built-in tool to create a bootable USB stick.
Why is such good for troubleshooting? Well, it comes with K3B, a CD/DVD burning application with graphical user interface. So if there is the same problem as under Windows, then there is most likely a hardware problem.

You need:

• sufficient internet connection to download the CD image
  • a working CD writer (or a friend that can help)
  • an USB stick with at least 1 GB capacity. Note, all data will be erased in the later process.

Todo:
Download the Sidux CD image and burn it to a CD-R (use ImgBurn under Windows). Then boot from the CD. Insert the USB stick and let it recognise. Now browse through the start menu in order to find the “install to USB drive” thingy, run it and follow the instructions given.

You can then shutdown, remove the CD and reboot. Invoke the boot menu of your laptop in order to let it boot from the USB device then. Now you can run K3b and attempt burning a disc.

Michael[/QUOTE]

sounds like a plan. i will try this asap. will update with results. thanx again oh btw y did u want to kno the MID?

Hi,[QUOTE=wrxagon;2309121]sounds like a plan. i will try this asap. will update with results.[/quote]Please do so :slight_smile: Such a bootable stick with a Linux is a very nifty tool, so I’d not delete it later :wink:

thanx again oh btw y did u want to kno the MID?
Well, I wanted to know if this was unsupported media. But it isn’t. You can still try other media (preferred: Verbatim) - wouldn’t be a bad idea also.

Michael

Now you can run K3b and attempt burning a disc.

Michael[/QUOTE]

? I should type in: run K3b ?:flower:
I’m a stooge when it comes to command type
btw: I have the same burner and it always gave me I/O errors
with RITEK F1 & F16? discs TDK/IMATION

[QUOTE=dave.evill;2309230]

Now you can run K3b and attempt burning a disc.

? I should type in: run K3b ?:flower:
I’m a stooge when it comes to command type[/quote]No need to type any commands. Sidux has a GUI (Graphical User Interface) similar to Windows XP.

btw: I have the same burner and it always gave me I/O errors
with RITEK F1 & F16? discs TDK/IMATION
:eek: I own the non-LS version of that drive (TS-L632H) with Dell OEM firmware. Seems as if I need to get some of these Riteks and try with my own drive…

Michael

FYI: there’s a new version dated 7/16/09 :slight_smile:

Do you remember what the HP firmware version was before that updated to SC03?
You can use the attached firmware version from HP to update your drive to HP firmware again.
Please rename the .pdf to a .zip file as I couldn’t upload it as .zip because of the filesize. :slight_smile:

(attachment removed by mciahel)

[QUOTE=sosa2006;2311850]
Please rename the .pdf to a .zip file as I couldn’t upload it as .zip because of the filesize. :)[/QUOTE]Why not just posting the link to the official HP download website (not the binary file!)?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2312082]Why not just posting the link to the official HP download website (not the binary file!)?[/QUOTE]

This is a official HP firmware, from our own database.
I couldn’t find any firmware version for the TS-L632M on the HP website, that’s why I posted the firmware.
It’s the same as the one HP will supply. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=sosa2006;2312099]This is a official HP firmware, from our own database.
I couldn’t find any firmware version for the TS-L632M on the HP website, [/QUOTE]:doh: Ouch!
Could you please re-post then? :o

[QUOTE=mciahel;2312100]:doh: Ouch!
Could you please re-post then? :o

No problem. :slight_smile:
Unfortunately I can’t post a direct download link for this firmware, that’s why I needed to upload the .zip file containing the firmware as a renamed .pdf file.
I guess I could have explained this better in my last reply… :iagree:
Please rename the file from .pdf to .zip and then unzip the file.
It contains only the .bin firmware file and not the sfdnwin, or tsdnwin flash tool.

HP_0917.pdf (430 KB)

And congrats to your custom user title :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2312120]Thanks :slight_smile:

And congrats to your custom user title :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much, that is very kind! :clap:
I hope I can make a contributions to the already very awsome community!!:clap::iagree: