Tsst Ts-l532 Fix!

so I have had the common problem with my TS-L532R…
woudnt burn CD’s unless it was “GOOD MEDIA”…
never able to burn a DVD as long as I have owned it…
always makes coasters…no matter what media I was using…

well…

I have a buddy that was able to get me about 40 different kinds of media thanks to where he works…
let me just say…the problem is not MEDIA…

those of you who insist that media is the issue need to find another excuse…

the ONLY TRUE FIX…
is to replace the drive with something else…

I went and found a Sony slim IDE CDRW DVD+/-RW DL drive for about $80 at a local computer parts shop…(small hole in the wall kind of place…dont even try to find it at a major retailer)
poped this new sony drive in…
problems gone…

I have now tried all of the “BAD” Media I have sitting around…and every bit of it works perfect…

the TS-L532 is a sorry excuse for a drive and needs to be recalled…

dont try to find new firmware(cause you will still have issues and it might only work on 1…maybe 2 types of media)Just replace the drive…

I had to take a lot of screws out of my laptop to find the right ones that really needed to be removed…
the faceplate from my TS-L532R is a standard square faceplate…the sony faceplate on the new burner pops right off and you can snap the faceplate of your old right back on it…the drive is an exact fit for the physical space requirements of the TS-L532R

Sony Model: DW-Q58A 8X DVD+/-RW

note: some laptops have their own custom pieces attatched to this drive(maybe a bracket…maybe some plastic bumper guides…) all of these are removeable and will fit on the sony drive just the same way they did on the old drive. Dont let somebody tell you you cant use a different drive just because it didnt come from your laptop manufacturer

I hear you and agree completely. What the issue is that this drive starts degrading and if the media isn’t very good it doesn’t work well, and just gets worse and worse.

I wonder if the laser begins to die, or if it is just dirty or what. I would like to know the science behind the death of these things.

I looked up the drive you mentioned and it is on ebay, but still as pricy.

Slimtype drives re different: slower than HH, smaller than HH, more picky than HH, more expensive than HH and more redundant against firmware flashing tries…