TSST TS-H653A is the OEM version of what?

vbimport

I have a Samsung OEM drive that came with a Dell XPS 410 desktop. I have since added a LiteOn LH-20A1S as well. The drive info states that the Samsung is a TSST Corp TS-H653A with FW version D300 and OEM code “DE”. Does anyone know which, if any, retail version this corresponds to and if they can be crossflashed? I <em>think</em> the TS-H653A is the SH-S183A, but I’m not sure. I’m not even sure there are any advantages to be gained by crossflashing. I guess the main thing that irks me about it is that it won’t do quality scans with Nero.

Also, does anyone have any opinions of this drive? I’ll be honest, I haven’t used it much at all because I installed the LiteOn shortly after getting the PC and it is performing extremely well.

Btw, these are both SATA drives. The mobo for this PC has no IDE connectors. If it did, I’d probably still be using my Benq DW1620.

Hi,

If the drive does not support Lightscribe, it is probably a SH-S183A. Crossfllashing is dangerous. I was so stupid to try flashing my SHW163 to Dell firmware (I should have known better), and now I have a new doorstop. Stick with the Dell firmware.

I guess the main thing that irks me about it is that it won’t do quality scans with Nero.
Are you able to use Kprobe with your Samsung drive? If so, then please try Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.5.0 (this is the latest version). You may have to edit your registry in case scanning fails:
W2k and XP: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality]
Vista: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality]
There you’ll find an entry named “Blocked” that contains a couple of strings like “PLEXTOR, HL-DT-ST, TSST, Samsung”. This has to be edited in order to remove the references to Samsung and TSST. Just delete anything but PLEXTOR and HL-DT-ST and you are done.

Michael

You’re correct. I have the same system from Dell. The drive is a Samsung SH-S183A. I’ve found it to be a great drive so far. I’ve really only burned Sony DVD+Rs (the Taiyo Yudens), so I can’t say how it does with lesser media.

Dell issued the D400 firmware a while ago:
Dell firmware

Here’s a forum where some people crossflashed the drive. I haven’t done it yet, so I don’t vouch for this in any way!
Crossflash method

By the way, the mobo does have one IDE connection. The front USB plugs and memory card reader are plugged into it. Oh, and the power button is, too, so don’t think about disconnecting it. :wink:

Dell issued the D400 firmware a while ago:

I noticed that yesterday and have updated it. Dell’s support site was vague as to what the updated firmware fixed/upgraded.

By the way, the mobo does have one IDE connection. The front USB plugs and memory card reader are plugged into it. Oh, and the power button is, too, so don’t think about disconnecting it. :wink:

Yes, you are correct there. I did forget that.

Dell has updated firmware to D500 at:

Dell Support

It works well at this rev and I see no reason to cross flash it for anyone. I did flash it to Samsung, but got it back to Dell 'cause I like it better this way, quite frankly it worked good with both personalities… so it is up to you to decide. :smiley:

Although I’ve cross-flashed many burners, I only kept a Phillips flashed to BenQ 1640 for additional benefits and I use Buffalo firmware in all my Pioneer drives. :iagree:

Other experiments like this TSST to Samsung did not really yield me any benefits. At least not with the media I’m using (CMC, AML, MCC…) :slight_smile: