Tsst Sh-182m

vbimport

Hi All:

First, I’m BRAND new to this forum so I hope I’m posting in the proper place and am folowing the “house rules”. If not please let me know.

I have a TSST SH-182M CD/DVD burner in my “generic” PC. I “think” it’s not working properly.

It seems to work fine writing/reading using Nero (that came with it). But shouldn’t I be able to read/write directly through Windows (2K)? I have 2 other computers with CD/DVD burners (other brands) and when I access them through just windows it gives me the option to format, read and write (save). It treats them just like a regular hard drive. But my TSST drive doesn’t allow writing or formatting thru windows.

Is it possibly a driver (I tried windows update but nothing) and I haven’t been able to find online drivers for this drive. Or am I just out of luck and this particular drive ONLY works using Nero?

Thanks…Any help would be appreciated.
=Dave R.=

You need a burning app using w2k. XP will do CD’s, and Vista will do CD’s and DVD’s.

Hi and Welcome![quote=resorts;2055043]
I have a TSST SH-182M CD/DVD burner in my “generic” PC. I “think” it’s not working properly.

It seems to work fine writing/reading using Nero (that came with it). But shouldn’t I be able to read/write directly through Windows (2K)?[/quote]No. W2k has no built-in burning engine, so you’ll need 3rd party software to write data onto CD- or DVD-burners. Of course, you should be able to read CDs and DVDs that already contain data just with plain Windows Explorer.

Since Nero works for you, there is nothing wrong with your drive.

I have 2 other computers with CD/DVD burners (other brands) and when I access them through just windows it gives me the option to format, read and write (save). It treats them just like a regular hard drive.
They are either running different flavours of Windows (XP has built-in CD-writing capabilities, Vista is reported to support DVDs also) or some “Packet Writing” software like InCD is installed there.

But my TSST drive doesn’t allow writing or formatting thru windows.
Just missing piece of 3rd party software.

Is it possibly a driver (I tried windows update but nothing) and I haven’t been able to find online drivers for this drive.
If you really need that feature, then install InCD from the Nero disc that came with your drive. Please note, that many users have problems with packet writing software regardlass of manufacturer. Even Windows XP built-in feature isn’t that reliable.
Or am I just out of luck and this particular drive ONLY works using Nero?
No. This drive is supported by any recent CD-/DVD-burning application.

Michael