TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S222A

vbimport

I have a weird problem. My CD/DVD ROM only reads CERTAIN disks and not others. I can’t find the drivers online for it to reinstall them and WINDOWS update won’t do it either. It reports that the device is working fine… If I try to use a original (mfr.) disk by Norton, it reads it just fine. If I try to use a mfr. disk of Windows XP update…it just searches continuously and never loads. It won’t even recognize the disk is in the drive. It WILL read a mfr. CD and play that…it just randomly recognizes some disks and not others. I have checked these disks on another machine and they are fine.
I did have a virus and did a recovery on my system and have been reloading my software.
Where can I get the official drivers to download for this device?

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=danabear;2604652]I have a weird problem. My CD/DVD ROM only reads CERTAIN disks and not others.[/quote]Most likely, your laser lens is either dirty and needs cleaning or the drive is worn our for some reason. Additionally, check the condition of the discs that are not readable.

Where can I get the official drivers to download for this device?
Manufacturer drivers do not exist (perhaps for MS DOS and Windows 3.x) since more or less modern operating systems support optical drives natively.

Michael

Drivers for your optical drive are contained within the operating system and don’t need to be updated.

It may be that the drive is just a poor reader and has accumulated enough dust on the lens that it is having a hard time with some disks. You can take the drive out of the computer, open up the metal case for the drive and clean the lens with a soft cloth or cotton swab and a small amount of alcohol.

Edit: too slow