Tsst corp CD/DVDW TS-L632M ATA Device

This optical drive came in my HP Pavilion dv9207us notebook. It works fine with one exception. With a CD-RW the drive will recognize the disc one time only. As soon as the drive is opened and the disc reinserted the drive will not read the CD-RW unless the computer is restarted. As long as the drive isn’t opened it will continue to read the CD-RW. The drive works fine in all other circumstances. It plays music cd’s, a DVD movie, etc. When a blank CD-RW is put in it asks what you want to do with it, but has the same problem if the drive is opened.

HP support took control of my computer via the internet and tried removing the drivers, I believe, and they reinstalled when the computer restarted. This did nothing to help the problem. They are sending me a new drive but somehow it doesn’t seem like it could be the hardware but more likely something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell I have limited ability in this area. :confused:

I forgot to mention that I have Vista Home Premium and was using Memorex 4X speed CD-RW’s.

Try with other CD-RW media, not Memorex.

Try Verbatim.

hello

i got the same problem.
i have tryed with all sorts of media ,
some times my drive wil read a ordinary cd rom,
but the dvd part is total gone.

i have tryed taking it out and put it back , no results, i have tryed re installing all kinds of drivers and looked at manufature stuff all over.
nothing helps me with this problem.

once for about 2 years ago it did the same and i took my laptop down to the store and they send it to rep.
it came back with all new cooling systems and they said that something was disconected inside therefore the drive wouldent work.

seems like this laptop just f***** up with that drive,

this is my laptop :
System Information from dxdiag:

Time of this report: 9/9/2010, 08:48:39
Machine name: BONG-PC
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
Language: Danish (Regional Setting: Danish)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion HDX9000 Notebook PC
BIOS: EPP runtime BIOS - Version 1.1
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1832MB used, 2505MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives

Drive: C:

Free Space: 41.4 GB
Total Space: 107.8 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00

Drive: D:

Free Space: 48.5 GB
Total Space: 114.5 GB

Drive: E:

Free Space: 1.0 GB
Total Space: 6.7 GB

Drive: G:
  Model: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632M ATA Device
 Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.00.6002.18005 (Danish), 4/11/2009 06:39:17, 67072 bytes

Drive: F:
  Model: QXA G1YZSPIZSTAR SCSI CdRom Device
 Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.00.6002.18005 (Danish), 4/11/2009 06:39:17, 67072 bytes

i tryed that but it did not work.
bur u go to your regedit and find :
HKEY local machine
SYSTEM
Currentcontroleset
Control
Class
(on my machine the next step is named this,)
4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318
(dont know if it is the same on your pc.
Next step :
left click that line and look to the right and find upper and lower just left click and delite if your sure u want to.
hopes it works for you.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=suneborgdk;2543366]
i got the same problem.
i have tryed with all sorts of media ,
some times my drive wil read a ordinary cd rom,
but the dvd part is total gone.[/quote]
carefully clean the lens and see if there is some improvement.
Additionally, get a bootable DVD (Windows Vista/7 install disc or a live Linux DVD like Knoppix recommended) and see if you can boot from that disc. If not, then the DVD part of the optical system went bad. In that case, your only option is to replace the drive.

See also: http://club.myce.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/

Michael

hello
thanx for the quick reply.

i did try to clean the lens more than once,
but sadly no better result came out of it.

i am trying now to see where i can buy a new one same as i got now , but have not
been lucky to lokate one here in denmark yet,

i am thinking , did they put a new one in or what did they do ???

Hi,

the replacement drive must not be necessarily the same drive.
What’s most important: the new drive must be configured (master/slave setting) the same way as the original one. In case your laptop has a custom faceplate, then there is another difficulty.

I personally would prefer a genuine Optiarc drive.

Michael

Hi Michael. I was having the exact same problem as you. I have the TS-L632N ATA DVD drive in my HP dv6871. About a month ago after a windows update, it totally disappeared from the system. Did not come up in My Computer, still showed in the device manager but with the yellow exclamation next to it. Tried looking everywhere for a new driver, none to be found. Long story short, I went to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and deleted everything out of the cdrom folder. As soon as I did that, it re-appeared in My Comp and the Device manager without the yellow exclamation. Tested the drive and it’s working like new. Not sure if this will solve your issue but it’s worth a shot. Hope this helps.
Good luck…

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=ekaz;2592892]Hi Michael. I was having the exact same problem as you. [/quote]Well, I don’t have any problem :wink:

I have the TS-L632N ATA DVD drive in my HP dv6871. About a month ago after a windows update, it totally disappeared from the system. Did not come up in My Computer, still showed in the device manager but with the yellow exclamation next to it. (…) Long story short, I went to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and deleted everything out of the cdrom folder.
Dangerous advice, unless you did something different from what you described.
In that situation, this MS FixIT tool should help: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/

Michael

Hi Michael. Well it did initially work after reboot. After the second reboot though, it is no longer reading disks. It is showing up in the device manager and my computer but will not read any data, DVD or CD. I went to the link you provided and it says “We’re sorry, but the diagnostic solution you have requested is not available at this time.” No biggie, I have another laptop and a workstation so it’s not the end of the world it’s just one of those problems that bugs you to death, you know. Anyway, I appreciate the advice, I will keep looking for a solution and will post when I find one. Thanks again…Eric

Then try the manual way as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Michael

Thank you very much Michael, I will give it a shot and let you know how it works out. Much appreciated…