TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S182D SB4 problem!

Hi friends,

I own a TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S182D SB4 samsung DVD writer.

My system configuration is:
Primary master - 80 gb samsung hdd
Primary slave - Sony combo drive
Secondary master - Samsung writer
Secondary slave - samsung 40 gb hdd

The samsung writer is having a big problem. It is able to write DVDs but strangely, not able to read whatever it writes. It is able to read CDs and some other DVDs i got from the market, but not just the ones i write from it.

I have taken it to the service centre, where they have changed all the components, yet it doesn’t work here. Moreover, the writer was able to read the dvds at the service centre (they were using win 98 though). So i really can’t figure out why it is not reading here. It seems that it might be some problem with the OS. Right now, I am writing a DVD using the samsung writer and reading it using sony. I mostly write the dvd as a data disk. The format hence, is CDFS.

So any suggestions how to fix it?

Upon clicking the properties, it shows the disc to be of 0 bytes (both used anf free) and if i enable cd recording for win xp then it shows 0 bytes for used and 4.38 GB for free. Please chk the image.

Are there any mortals in this forum… If so, please help… !

Put the hard drives together and the DVD and combo together.

I made the changes as u asked, but the outcome is the same as before. It still shows the dvd as not accessible (incorrect function)

Now what to do ?

How are you trying to read the DVDs? What program?

Normal windows explorer. As shown in my first post, after inserting the dvd into the drive, windows is unable to read the contents of the DVD from that drive. It is however, able to read from my sony drive for the same disc.

Sounds like the nasty lead-in problem, if you’re trying DVD-Rs (you don’t say whether the problem discs are -R or +R).

You might like to take a look at this thread to determine if that’s the problem. It’s a long read, but worth it, as there’s a “CD Freaks Edition” firmware in there that can fix it.

Hi guys,

I updated the product firmware from http://www.samsungodd.com/Eng/ to SB06 and
lo, behold… ! its is finally reading…

Finally the query got solved. Thanks for all ur help.