TSST corp CD DVDW SH-S162A: missing a decoder

:confused:
Hi,
I bought a DVD recorder called “Write Master DVD Multi Recorder” but my pc describe it by “TSST corp CD DVDW SH-S162A”.

Now, It can not burn a single file or backup in a blank Mawxell DVD+R because it says that has an error and can not locate the file, etc.

So, I know now that my Windows Media Player 9 is missing an “compatible DVD decoder” because it is not installed, so I need a “MPEG-2 Decoder”, but I can not find any one free. Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Hi and welcome!

This is the exact type of that drive.

Now, It can not burn a single file or backup in a blank Mawxell DVD+R because it says that has an error and can not locate the file, etc.
There should be a copy of Nero with the drive. This doesn’t work? Who says what has which error? Nobody can help without a precise description. :rolleyes:
Btw. Never heard of Maxwell media. I know Maxwell instant coffee :wink:

So, I know now that my Windows Media Player 9 is missing an “compatible DVD decoder” because it is not installed, so I need a “MPEG-2 Decoder”, but I can not find any one free. Can somebody help me?
Why do you need a MPEG2-Decoder for writing data on a disc? :confused: If such is needed, well, then you’ll have to buy one…

If you are not able to burn a data CD or DVD, then have a look into the manual that came with the drive (it’s on the Nero CD) and verify if the drive is properly installed. If the problem persists, then the drive is probably defective and has to be returned

Michael

An MPEG-2 decoder should be installed with any sort of DVD playback software, such as PowerDVD. Maybe your burner even came with that, or some other sort of DVD software.

As Mciahel says, you don’t need a MPEG2 decoder to write AV to DVD; just a burning app such as Nero.

Playback of DVD-Video or MPEG2 files requires a decoder…

If you use the open source (freeware) VideoLAN VLC, then it installs it own codecs. Otherwise you have to pay…

Hey, guys:

Thanks a lot for the welcome & your replies to my question. :slight_smile:

The blank DVD’s are “Maxell’s”, lol
I used the Nero CD that came with my hardware… but I can not see any DVD movie there, and the message error is the following:
“Windows Media Player (9) is currently unable to play DVD video.
Try decreasing the number of colors displayed on your monitor
or decreasing the screen resolution.”

by other way, I have decoders now according the “Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility”, and they are:
1- Nero Video Decoder
2- Nero DVD Decoder
but the message error say:
“Is not compatible with the syncronization feature of windows Media Player 10 (Hey, I have # 9) . We recommend that against setting this decoder as the prefered decoder.”

Your input, fellows.

Hey, Thanks!!!

Pedro

If you can, File Hippo has Windows Media Player 11 Beta. It should have all the decoders with it. I’ve had no problems with audio or video playback since this new version.
http://www.filehippo.com/

Thanks a lot for your reply (to you & the rest of my friends here) :slight_smile: !!!

I will pay a visit to that site pretty soon. The problem is that I don’t understand (and I don’t like) the new Windows Media Player 10 or 11, because I can not finf the commands “Save as” & others…

Now I am downloading the “Windows Media Encoder 9 Series” from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads … let see what happens.

Pedro

Hi

Nothing would happen. In order to use Windows Media Player, you need a certified MPEG2-decoder. And this is not free.
For DVD playback, I recommend Media Player Classic or VLC. Both are great pieces of free software.

Michael

Michael:
Thanks a lot for your reply :slight_smile:
Yes, I got it: the decoder is not free. bad thing, :frowning: What’s about some supposed free decoders at this site:
http://www.xxxx (link edited out… imkidd57)

No, I did not download anything fearing they can have viruses, etc.

What do you think?

Pedro

Edited by imkidd57: No warez links please Pedro - it’s against the rules. Apart from that, as you feared, stuff like that is guaranteed to screw up your system with bugs and/or viruses…

Hi,

Forget that. Yes, your fears may be right. Maybe that would turn your system into a Zombie.
Have you tried the software I mentioned previously? These are safe to use.

Michael
BTW. Please ask a moderator to remove the link you posted or edit your self, if possible, as this is against the rules here.

Thanks for the reply, Michael!!!
I downloaded the VCL but when the dialog told me “Unknown Publisher” I canceled it…

Hey, I tried to seek the “Edit post” buttom but I coudn’t finf it !!
Dear Moderator: Please delete the link(s) I posted before in this thread.
Thanks!

Pedro

Edit by imkidd57: Done! :wink:

Thanks to Imkidd57!!!

Hi,

But you thought about downloading some warez:(

You can trust this software more than you can trust Winodws Media Player.
You can also trust Media Player Classic from gabest.org - I personally won’t give anything about opinions of MS software.:wink:
[off topic]
Apparently you use MS Internet Exploiter for surfing. You should really think about using something else. Something else, that let you to decide.
[/off topic]

Michael

Yes, in this case the dialogue about ‘Unknown Publisher’ is just Microsoft being needlessly officious.

As mciahel advises, you should just go through with the VLC download and install…

[off topic]
Firefox is a good alternative browser to try out.
[/off topic]

Dear [B]Mciahel[/B] & [B]Imkidd57 [/B]

Hello,
Thanks for the replies & answers.
What do you both suggest? Can I download both “Media Player Classic” and “VLC”?
Which one is better?

Yes, I use MS Internet Explorer. I really do not understand the Firefox-I have never used before.

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

Pedro

Once I downloaded the Panda antivirus from the same MS site… and still the window said “Unknown Publisher”, and the software was yes from Panda :frowning:
Just was a comment

Hi,

You can download and install both, Mediaplayer Classic (MPC) even needs no installation, just unpacking the archive and you are ready. Which one is better, that is depending on your needs. Try both. Some formats, that can’t be read by MPC will work in VLC and vice versa.

Yes, I use MS Internet Explorer. I really do not understand the Firefox-I have never used before.
Then give it a try for a couple of weeks. :iagree:

Michael

Thanks, Michael!!!
I will try both now.

Take care,

Pedro :clap:

i’m just adding another vote of confidence for VLC. I’ve never needed to open a media file that VLC wouldn’t recognise. VLC will even play image files without having to extract them or mount them on a virtual drive.

VLC can’t play realpalyer files rmvb or whatever, but that’s never been a concern of mine.