Tsst corp cd/dvdw samsung sh - s183a on dell dimension e520 dvd-r crap

vbimport

i have a tsst corp cd/dvdw samsung sh - s183a on dell dimension e520
been using 1click dvd copy to back up my dvds .but the drive been giving me problems when buring dvd-r .after burn is done then put it in my dvd player in the other room they will play for a bit but then the film starts freez up and and the picture looks like its been paused . right here are a for disks to stay away from if you got the same drive . frezz up - imation dvd-r 8x -datawrite dvd-r 8x-
asda dvd-r 8x <<<<<<<stay away form them. then i got some Datawrite Red Mach4 (16x) DVD-R. only used one and great i will try do more later on this disc and let you know reply if this was any help

tsst corp cd/dvd samsung sh - s183a
on dell dimension e520
problem buring some dvd-r
a list dvd-r that work on samsung so far will update this page

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum.

Try with Verbatim.

Could you post the mediacode from the disc you have used.

Use Nero CD/DVD Speed and post result.

potcheech, welcome@CDFreaks!

Please try DVD+R media instead of DVD-R and see it that works. Possibly you need to set Booktype to DVD-ROM in your DVD writing application to increase compatibility with older standalone players.

Some SH-S18x drives have a “Lead-In”-problem with DVD-R discs, there are some threads about that in this forum. As this issue can be repaired with newer firmware, please check Dell website or ask the people at Dell support for a solution, if the drive came with the Dell computer.

In case you got a retail drive and installed it by yourself, then check samsungodd.com. Sometimes newer firmware is not published on the website, but provided to users of their Live Update software.

Michael

hi again my dvd player has always played dvd-r in it .but
when i had this new pc dell dimension e520 . it had a gsa-h31n sata in it and dvd-r from that was playing in my dvd player but pauseing like frezzing up then playing again.so i when got a new samsung sh-s183a sata and dvd-r burned on that is doing the same in my dvd player.i havent had the chance yet to get dvd+r yet but like i said my dvd player played dvd-r out my old pc just this one. so the other day i got in touch with dell they tryed tell my the it was my sofware that i was using but i told them it cant be because on my old pc systerm i used the same programs and never had the same problems out all . so i dont know what to do next do you think it might be because these are new sata dvd writers and your going to get bugs with new hardware or is it sata morther borad systerms are shit .and could a firmware
might fix the problem its just strange both new drives doing it

see if this is any good

Drive Information

Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-H31N
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : B106
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 06-09-21
Serial Number :
Vendor Specific : 06/09/21
Drive Letter : E:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 48 X
Write Speed : 48 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : No
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-ROM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : No
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : No
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
SolidBurn : No
Labelflash : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 2
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

Drive Information

Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183A
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : SB02
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : SH-S183AFirmware
Vendor Specific : 1117
Drive Letter : F:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 9 , 8 , 4 X
Write Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 8 , 4 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : Yes
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-ROM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : Yes
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : Yes
SolidBurn : No
Labelflash : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 2
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

Hi,

what shall we do with that information? We all know, that these drives are basically capable of burning DVD-R media.

You were requested to post the media IDs of the discs you are using. You were also requested to try different media. Even media brands were recommended.
Nobody can help you if advice that is given here, is ignored.

Michael

is this what you mean if you dont mind please could you tell exactly how to do it i will

here is a nother dvd-r that i burned

this what you mean i dont know what to do as you can tell i am realy crap with pc’s

Yeah. This is what I meant. You could also copy the text (using the button in that window) and paste it here.

As both of your writers have problems with the discs you are using, I am convinced that there are issues with these particular discs. Please try Verbatim branded (stay clear of the “Pearl White” series) DVD+R and see if that works.

Michael

Michael thanks for all your help i think this what you ask me to do

Michael here is some more

Hi,

and none of these discs would work on your player? At least the transfer rate tests look very good.
I am beginning to think that your standalone player is the problem. Is there any opportunity to try the discs on another player?

Michael

hi Michael the disks actly play on my dvd player. but they skip like pressing the pause botton and pressing play again. so i just did what you said and put them im my ps2 and they played fine so do you think its is the burn made on the new pc with the samsung sh - s183a that the dvd player dont like. because my old pc made these dvd-r and the dvd player played the old dvd-r ok with no skipping made from old pc so could it be the burn from new drive. the way its burned on to discs that the player skips on . or could it be my dvd player breaking down .

Michael i would like to say thank you for all your help and advise

Hi,

So your player has problems of reading the discs.
I’ll try to summarize: You were using different writers (LG and Samsung) and good media (Verbatim). TRT is fine.
[I]EDIT: There is something wrong with the TRT you posted in #9
Please rerun the benchmark of the Verbatim disc in your LG drive.[/I]
The discs play well in another player. Did I forget something?
What about the discs you burned with your old computer? Do they still play fine?

or could it be my dvd player breaking down .
Maybe you could try to clean the player. I am not sure if that helps, but it is worth trying.

Michael i would like to say thank you for all your help and advise
You are welcome!

Michael