TSST burner problem

vbimport

I have a Windows XP desktop that is equipped with a pair of TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D burners. They are not working well, and I want to know 1. Is it a hardware or software problem, and 2. Is it something I can repair myself?

Both drives (D and E) will record cds or dvds just fine, near as I can tell. But on play both have a jittery echo-chamber sound with lots of pops/clicks. The music used to sound a bit slow, but that has given way to the echo stuff.

Further, files on an audio disc (or DVD) in the D drive are not visible. Properties show the cd full and it plays (poorly), but the cda files don’t show on the screen. The E drive burner doesn’t have this additional problem.

I suppose both writers could physically go bad at the same time, but that would be a heck of a coincidence.

I have an older OEM version of Nero (6.6.1.15) that has “CD-DVD Speed” v4.51.1. I ran all of its tests. Everything checked fine, although I don’t know how to interpret the data and I am uncertain if the utility would alert me automatically to any problems.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

(I first noticed the problem starting about a year ago. I thought it was only one of the drives. I don’t use them that much so it took me this long to get something of a handle on it. I’m not too saavy on the audio and video tech stuff.)

Hmm…audio problem sounds more like a media, software, or sound card/chip problem. Does this problem arise when playing a commercial CD? Have you tried installing a player like QMP or VLC?

Download Imgburn, choose “discovery” mode, select one of your DVD drives, go up and click “tools”>click “filter driver load order”>“copy to clipboard” and paste the results into a post.

I suppose it could even be a DMA mode issue or bad IDE cable involved.

What is the brand/model of your computer?

Thanks for the reply.

The problem exists when I use the VLC Media Player on a commercial CD.

A fellow put this computer and an identical one together for my two daughters about 10 years ago. It says CTL on the cases and the monitors. So I don’t know if there is a model #. I couldn’t find the printed info I got on them at the time.

I ran ImgBurn as you suggested.

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.7.0

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name:  redbook
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
   File Version:  5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.5512
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name:  GEARAspiWDM
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys
   File Version:  2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]

File Description: CD DVD Filter
Product Name: CD DVD Filter
Product Version: 2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.
Copyright: Copyright © GEAR Software Inc. 1997-2009

Filter Name:  PxHelp20
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
   File Version:  3.00.09a [3.0.9.0]

File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name:  imapi
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys

File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

(I’ve heard of ImgBurn but I don’t know what it is, so I looked it up. I don’t understand an image file, why you would use that over a vob or cda file, or why a person would use this burner over Nero or something else.)

If possible try the discs in another laptop or computer and check if it plays fine or not.

Thanks. They play fine in other CD players.

[QUOTE=LtTony;2674633]Thanks for the reply.

The problem exists when I use the VLC Media Player on a commercial CD.

A fellow put this computer and an identical one together for my two daughters about 10 years ago. It says CTL on the cases and the monitors. So I don’t know if there is a model #. I couldn’t find the printed info I got on them at the time.

I ran ImgBurn as you suggested.

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.7.0

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name:  redbook
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Filter Name:  GEARAspiWDM
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys
   File Version:  2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]

File Description: CD DVD Filter
Product Name: CD DVD Filter
Product Version: 2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.
Copyright: Copyright © GEAR Software Inc. 1997-2009

Filter Name:  PxHelp20
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
   File Version:  3.00.09a [3.0.9.0]

File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name:  imapi
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys

File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

(I’ve heard of ImgBurn but I don’t know what it is, so I looked it up. I don’t understand an image file, why you would use that over a vob or cda file, or why a person would use this burner over Nero or something else.)[/QUOTE]
So many good reasons to use a well-written program like ImgBurn :). Imgburn does burn your vob or cda files very well using “write files/folders to disc” mode. Perhaps one of it’s best features is the fact that it doesn’t install filter drivers that can conflict with each other such as those you see on your computer. PxHelp20 and GEARAspiWDM are not Windows drivers, they are installed by other burning programs, and too often the source of grief with CD/DVD drives(Google it). Good place to start. Create a restore point. Remove them and reboot.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2674739]So many good reasons to use a well-written program like ImgBurn :). Imgburn does burn your vob or cda files very well using “write files/folders to disc” mode.[/QUOTE]

I have practiced with it a couple times to copy and burn a DVD and a CD. It was easy. I sense that it has additional capabilities for a person like me that would come in very handy, although my lack of tech expertise prevents me from fully appreciating them (over Nero).
Hopefully, I can post a bunch of ImgBurn questions in another thread in the near future. But for now…

Perhaps one of it’s best features is the fact that it doesn’t install filter drivers that can conflict with each other such as those you see on your computer.

Something that I have experienced in the past with CD and DVD burning software.

PxHelp20 and GEARAspiWDM are not Windows drivers, they are installed by other burning programs, and too often the source of grief with CD/DVD drives(Google it). Good place to start. Create a restore point. Remove them and reboot

Yeah, I did the Googling and see what you mean. This particular computer (my daughter’s, now away at college) has iTunes, and probably had (or may still have) some cd burning and image editing programs. In addition to Nero and the standard Windows XP packages of that day.

I worry that I will disable her iTunes or muck up something else. While most of the resources present negative views on these drivers, others imply they are necessary, or difficult to get rid of. Sounds like GEARAspiWDM.sys is part of iTunes. The other one may be the place to start. So…
1.) Creating the restore point (which I know how to do) will provide a method to return the file back to where it was if we discover months from now that something isn’t running right because it needs this driver. Correct?

2.) How do I remove it?

Thanks

Add: Should have stated (re-emphasized) that these CD/DVD writers write just fine. I burned a DVD with ImgBurn on one of these writers. The disc played fine in a stand-alone DVD player.
The problem with both drives is in the playback.

Glad you had a go with ImgBurn. Along with being ready to tackle anything from the easiest burning task to far more complex, the good-natured help pop-ups(a reflection on the author:)) that suggest the best settings for you as you go along help keep a very sophisticated program easy to use.

Please have a look here and check to be sure that your drive(s) have not dropped into PIO mode.

1. Yes. And actually, an update or reinstall to iTunes should set it straight if removing the filter causes any trouble. Removing the filter drivers will not remove the files, only the registry entry that tells Windows to load them. You will have your restore point to take you back to before you remove them if needed. Or one could hope that an updated iTunes behaves better;).

2. You’ll notice that the same page in ImgBurn that let you view the filters, there is a button to “remove selected filter”.

If you find your drives are not running in DMA mode, ImgBurn also has the option to “reset DMA” under “Tools” to help with that.

If you find your drives are not running in DMA mode, ImgBurn also has the option to “reset DMA” under “Tools” to help with that.

Just doing that seemed to improve the sound some; I didn’t bother running the test for that. I will be following your directions for reply #2.
Thanks

I used system restore after removing the PxHelp20 filter. I think I will take the computer to a shop.
The machine behaved in some ways that made me nervous after I removed the filter. I tried to launch Firefox. When I clicked on the desktop icon, it vanished. So did the Recycle Bin at the same time. The computer also ran slow.
I was afraid the computer would crash, like some people experienced in the reading I did. Most performed the task without any problem or consequences. But I was nervous that it would blow up in my face.
So I am contemplating a couple of options: 1. I could update to iTunes 11.0 from the 10.6.3.25. That could solve the problem, if it in fact exists in the GEARAspiWDM. 2. I could remove the GEARAspiWDM thru ImgBurn per your instructions. I could use restore again if the systemthen runs weird. But I don’t have the courage to do that at the moment. 3. I can take the computer to the shop, sharing this conversation, as I think you are on the right track. Besides, I have wanted a pro tune-up for it, and possibly a better video card set-up.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

If you are inclined to have the machine tuned up/upgraded by a pro, I would go that route. From what you have said, there may be more evil hiding in there than just a few filter drivers/controller settings.

Thanks. I think I will do that.

I removed the GEARAspiWDM. Bottom line: didn’t do anything, computer didn’t like it. Sytem restore eventually worked.

So a couple of things have improved: DVDs now play, I can see the tracks in the one drive, slowing is gone, clipping/clicking gone. All but the last apparently due to
resetting the DMA.

Before I go to the shop, I may try installing the new version of iTunes to see if that improves things.

[QUOTE=LtTony;2675995]Thanks. I think I will do that.

I removed the GEARAspiWDM. Bottom line: didn’t do anything, computer didn’t like it. Sytem restore eventually worked.

So a couple of things have improved: DVDs now play, I can see the tracks in the one drive, slowing is gone, clipping/clicking gone. All but the last apparently due to
resetting the DMA.

Before I go to the shop, I may try installing the new version of iTunes to see if that improves things.[/QUOTE]

Your improvements list seems to include all the bugs you mentioned initially. Good to hear. Literally, in this case ;).

Don’t hesitate to post in our Graphics and Multimedia forum for help in finding the best bang for your buck in a new video card if you’re thinking of going that route.